DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

I don't understand people reacting one way or the other to the Lucic term/money. You all follow the sport enough to know that part's entirely predictable. A team saying they have interest in a player like Lucic instantly, in the NHL today, implies 6 or 7 years at a lot of money with a likely goofy no move clause attached. That's what expressing interest in name free agents in the NHL is.

There was never even a 1% probability of Lucic signing for less than 5 years for less than $6 million on the open market.

36 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I don't understand people reacting one way or the other to the Lucic term/money. You all follow the sport enough to know that part's entirely predictable. A team saying they have interest in a player like Lucic instantly, in the NHL today, implies 6 or 7 years at a lot of money with a likely goofy no move clause attached. That's what expressing interest in name free agents in the NHL is.

There was never even a 1% probability of Lucic signing for less than 5 years for less than $6 million on the open market.

Edmonton is overpaying to get some character in the locker room.  All of those young guys need a veteran leader.

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Blues off-season in a nut shell: Lose Elliot, Backes, and Brouwer, gain Perron and Hutton.

I am not enthusiastic.

Should I be happy that the Flames signed Brouwer for 4 years at 4.5 million? Seems a bit rich (and long) to me. I'd almost prefer they kept Colborne at 2.5 million and used the extra money to fill another hole.

Jets continue their tradition of signing some random guys. Shawn Matthias? Okay, whatever. Just get Schiefele done.

Nice to see Zach Redmond get a decent payday, what with nearly dying a couple years ago and all.

I have had the weirdest mental block with Richards for years, ever since he left Tampa Bay I've been repeatedly surprised to discover he was not retired. It's been bizarre and it reached a point where I got past it, but I really could not process that he was still playing for a while there.

Brad Richards = DELETED

NHL released it's US national schedule and the Oilers and Connor McDavid appear (channels Enzo Amore)..... Zero times. This is the living definition of penny wise and pound foolish. You have your next great star who will transcend the sport and you give him no exposure in the US. But don't worry, we get to see the Wild 13 times!!!

People online justifying this with "Nobody in America will watch a game featuring the Oilers" are exhibit A as to why the NHL will always be a parochial backwater of the American sports scene.