DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

The knocks on Tkachuk that I've seen are people wondering how good he really is because of who he played with. The whole secondary assists thing which I'm not sure I buy into as a fair criticism. It's something you'd have to really watch a ton of video to figure out.

I'm more interested to see how Juolevi compares to the other top defensemen in the coming years. I do like that the pick suggests that Benning (or Linden) is more open to that style of player. Hopefully that's a trend and not a one off.

Read a few in-depth reports on Juolevi and like what I saw. He's a few years away and needs to add some muscle though. 

Still, we're a mess with the rumours surrounding Lucic and Eriksson. And the Oilers are going to be terrifying. :(

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Welp, Fuck this team.

Best fucking goaltender the franchise has ever fucking had. He gets us to the Western Conference Finals despite the team being no better then they were either of the last 2 years, when we tried to put some other asshole as our No.1 and they failed miserably. All for a god damned fucking 2nd.

Fuck you Doug Armstrong.

No love  for Plante,Hall, Liut, Fuhr or Cujo? 

• Like 3

Just now, odessasteps said:

No love  for Plante,Hall, Liut, Fuhr or Cujo? 

Here is Brian Elliots stats as a St. Louis Blue,

2011-2012: 1.56 GAA, .940 Save Percentage

2012-2013: 2.28 GAA, .907 Save Percentage

2013-2014: 1.96 GAA, .922 Save Percentage

2014-2015- 2.26 GAA, .917 Save Percentage

2015-2016- 2.07 GAA, .930 Save Percentage.

Fuhr was in the twilight of his career, Cujo was great but not close to what Elliot has been, and to be fair for the other two, I can't give a fair assessment due to lack of seeing them. Brian Elliot just led this team to it's most succesful playoff appearence in history while a good portion of the team in front of him played like shit.

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

pavel "now" a Coyote. 

And Det retains none of his contract. 

With him and Chris Pronger the Yotes are really going to be tough to beat next season.

Admittedly it was the weird expansion era, but ST Louis did go to three finals in a row from 68-70. (Someone had to go  from the Expansion Division) And Hall did win the Conn Smythe in their first final vs the Habs. 

But yeah, Elliott is prob best "in his prime" goalie. 

Jesus, say what you like, but Winnipeg having Byfglein, Tyler Myers, Trouba, and now adding another 6'7" D in Stanley... that shit is not going to be any fun for anyone to play against.

I, like everyone else, think Laine is great from what I've seen too. Good times there.

Thank the old gods that the Jets didn't screw this up. All the talk the last few weeks about how they weren't sold on Laine's character, I was so worried they'd end up reaching for someone like Tkachuk. This team doesn't need more character, it needs people who can fucking score.

Is there anyone here who watches the O and knows anything about this Logan Stanley kid?

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Yeah, it's almost impossible to use the 68-70 Blues in a discussion for this type of thing. The Blues were unquestionably the best team in the West in that era, but the 2nd best team in teh West each of those years would have been last in the East.

Those Blues team's biggest contribution to NHL history: after watching the Plager brothers beast up on his Flyers Ed Snider vowed it would never happen again. Thus the Broad Street Bullies were born.

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Subban was a sexy rumor but Shattenkirk would be a hell of a consolation prize, if it's true.

The Subban rumor was a plant.

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Read a few in-depth reports on Juolevi and like what I saw. He's a few years away and needs to add some muscle though. 

Still, we're a mess with the rumours surrounding Lucic and Eriksson. And the Oilers are going to be terrifying. :(

The Oilers will be bad for the considerable future.  They have no defense.

The rumor came from an intern in the Habs PR office.  A few of the top reporters (McKenzie) talked about how people were running with something from a PR intern over a confirmed source.  

Of course GM's called after that to see if it was true.

Subban's NMC kicks in on July 1 and people ran with the low hanging fruit rather than check sources.  

18 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Here is Brian Elliots stats as a St. Louis Blue,

2011-2012: 1.56 GAA, .940 Save Percentage

2012-2013: 2.28 GAA, .907 Save Percentage

2013-2014: 1.96 GAA, .922 Save Percentage

2014-2015- 2.26 GAA, .917 Save Percentage

2015-2016- 2.07 GAA, .930 Save Percentage.

Fuhr was in the twilight of his career, Cujo was great but not close to what Elliot has been, and to be fair for the other two, I can't give a fair assessment due to lack of seeing them. Brian Elliot just led this team to it's most succesful playoff appearence in history while a good portion of the team in front of him played like shit.

That 1.56 is the lowest GAA since the 30s and close to the lowest ever.

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

So, guesses as to where Stamkos ends up? I'm sticking with Detroit and them moving Datsyuk's contract so easily was the key set-up move.

Either Detroit or Toronto.  Someone will go max for him.  Not sure if he is worth more than a Kane or Toews.  

7 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Either Detroit or Toronto.  Someone will go max for him.  Not sure if he is worth more than a Kane or Toews.  

Toews is incredibly overrated. His best offensive season would be Stamkos's 5th best. Yes, Toews is a two-way guy but he is not the megastar he's portrayed to be. Put another way: I'd happily pay Stamkos as much as Toews. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

Toews is incredibly overrated. His best offensive season would be Stamkos's 5th best. Yes, Toews is a two-way guy but he is not the megastar he's portrayed to be. Put another way: I'd happily pay Stamkos as much as Toews. 

Toews is not about numbers.  It is about leadership and what he brings to the team in terms of focus and intensity.  The team literally marches to his beat.  Take him off Chicago and they are a different team.  Put him on almost every other team and they immediately get better.