DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

Howie Rose announced today that he is stepping down from his role as Isles TV announcer. If this leads to Chris King getting the job it's the worst news possible because his voice resembles nails on a chalkboard. 

Whoa, biggish trade between the Panthers and Canucks.

Vancouver trades Jared McCann, a 2nd round pick, and a 4th to Florida for Erik Gudbranson and a 5th. Is Gudbranson a big of a bust as I remember thinking he is?

Man, it's the Canucks' second rounder, so the 33rd overall. FFS. This fucking management group.

Definitely feels like a high risk move and one I wouldn't have made. At least he's 24 and defensemen can take awhile to come into their own. 

I'm guessing the internal logic is that the defense is going to be depleted, it makes no sense to sign a free agent, and Gudbranson can eat up big minutes with a $3.5m cap hit next year.

I'm very curious to see what free agency brings. It will tell us a lot about the true direction of the team.

Jim Benning even said they paid a steep price for him. That's not a good look, dawg.

What do you think the two directions are? Do you think they'll actually try and sign a bunch of overpriced shitbums on the wrong side of 30? Aw, fuck, they're going to sign a bunch of shitbums on the wrong side of 30, aren't they? 

I'm kind of mystified by this trade, both ways.

Am I the only one that thinks NHL people have really lost their minds overreacting to if guys shoot left or right handed? One of the first things I hear about Gudbranson is "he shoot right handed, there aren't a lot of those D out there". I just don't see why that's so significant to the point that it is routinely a thing for so many hockey people, to the point where you're willing to pay more for a right handed D because of their rarity.

I care more about if they are, you know, good?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Jim Benning even said they paid a steep price for him. That's not a good look, dawg.

What do you think the two directions are? Do you think they'll actually try and sign a bunch of overpriced shitbums on the wrong side of 30? Aw, fuck, they're going to sign a bunch of shitbums on the wrong side of 30, aren't they? 

It's more the term that I'm looking at as an indicator. I'm fine if they sign some journeymen to one year deals so the roster isn't like 75% young guys losing all the time. I don't really like that approach to rebuilding.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Whoa, biggish trade between the Panthers and Canucks.

Vancouver trades Jared McCann, a 2nd round pick, and a 4th to Florida for Erik Gudbranson and a 5th. Is Gudbranson a big of a bust as I remember thinking he is?

Man, it's the Canucks' second rounder, so the 33rd overall. FFS. This fucking management group.

Grub was a little bit overvalued because of his size and his checking, plus I think Tallon was concerned about his concussions. 

I think the bottom line is Tallon recognized a chance to sell high and get some more cheap ancillary parts. Plus, it's not like McCann is a palooka. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

It's more the term that I'm looking at as an indicator. I'm fine if they sign some journeymen to one year deals so the roster isn't like 75% young guys losing all the time. I don't really like that approach to rebuilding.

Thing about that is, who signs for one or two years in this era of free agency? That fucking dog dork signed a fringe NHLer to a 4 year extension. Look at the Sutter extension. Just the shits other than not being awful at drafting. 

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I'm guessing Mike is pretty giddy about Karmanos getting sued by his kids 

Its basically like Christmas in June for me. After 19 years, justice is served. I plan on sending him a Father's Day card with a note that reads I figured I'd send him one because his kids sure won't.