DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

Jets moved up a bunch of spots in the draft, I played soccer on such a nice day that I got a sunburn, and then drank a bunch of beer on a patio. I gotta say, today was a good day.

• Like 1

2nd! I'll take it. Come on down....um....whatever the Finnish guys names are? Not really too upset the Leafs won, been expecting it all year and hey, I like Shanahan and Babcock, so good on them.

Overwhelming early consensus among Oiler fans is that they'd like to see 4th overall traded for a D. I can't find much cause to disagree, assuming it's the right player coming back.

If the two Finnish kids are even close to as advertised, should be happy times for WInnipeg and Columbus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Overwhelming early consensus among Oiler fans is that they'd like to see 4th overall traded for a D. I can't find much cause to disagree, assuming it's the right player coming back.

If the two Finnish kids are even close to as advertised, should be happy times for WInnipeg and Columbus.

I got a kick out of Cox's comparables: Ovechkin and... Blake wheeler!!! Dolt. 

I wonder if Arizona's ownership (do they have real owners?) will tell the new GM to at least try to trade for the 1st overall. They'd probably have to move up in at least two different trades and move everything of value they have. Long winded way of saying I wouldn't be shocked if Arizona is the team to trade for the 4th.

Best part of the draft lottery was Shanahan doing an interview as if he was taping a supplemental discipline video for the NHL.

...and the comedy since people moaned about them selling off their top players and tanking the season away.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/04/30/shanahan-leafs-earned-no-1-pick-the-hard-way/

“We earned this the hard way,”

“Our ownership group has given us the support to do this build the right way.”

On 4/30/2016 at 7:58 PM, Death From Above said:

Penguins were 29th Crosby's first year. He had Mario Lemieux on his team.

He had the rotting hockey corpse of Mario Lemieux on his team whose body lasted 26 games before it gave out for the last time.  Funny all the Leaf fans on the talk radio think the Coyotes are going to trade a half dozen guys for the 1st pick.

I wasn't really expecting it, but I don't mind them letting go of Hartley. Besides his Jack Adams miracle season, he has underwhelmed. And let's face it, that one good season was pretty flukey.

But they better not bring in any former Brian Burke associates (Crawford, Carlyle). Treliving has done a pretty good job so far, so I have faith he'll make a good choice. But I am a bit worried...

Partly true, but I also think that Flames management wants to push the team into playing more of a possession game, and Hartley doesn't really coach that way.

Hartley was Feaster's pick to coach this team through a rebuild, so I've always thought he'd be on thin ice once Treliving arrived. Most GMs like to pick their own coach.

Hartley is a good work-ethic coach, so I think he was a good fit for a team that wasn't very good and had a lot of young players. But I never saw him as a guy who, moving forward, would take the Flames deep into the playoffs. I think that's what the Flames should be targeting now, because that's where they want to be in a couple seasons.

Still waiting for an explanation about how acquiring the only good starting goalie under 100 years old on the four western Canadian team for draft picks is tanking. This was such a ludicrously misguided statement I have to see what the endgame was.

I think people legitimately underestimate, despite how much they get made fun of, how historically bad the Oilers were going into the McDavid draft, and just how far there still was to go. I tried to warn people getting overly excited about him, if the Oilers got 25 points better they'd still miss the playoffs easily. And that would have taken everyone staying healthy because there was no depth in the cupboard.

Sekera was a fine pick-up despite having to overpay because Edmonton. That and McDavid were the only substantial acquisitions after finishing near the bottom of the table. I have no idea which other free agents were even willing to entertain the thought of joining, but adding a few more forward veterans with size would've been wise. There was nothing on D available. So it then comes to trades. The core of the team should be McDavid, Hall, and one of the centres. Everybody else should've been made available for young defensive help. The team is so poorly balanced and Chiarelli did little to fix that. He signed one decent defenseman and hoped for the best. Defo not a tank. Yup. God forbid a new GM be proactive and change things up instead of using his leeway year so he could point to the past as an excuse. It's not all his doing but I was completely unconvinced he was trying to turn things around in year one.

The problem is nobody wants what he is offering at the prices he set.

Nobody wants Eberle (3 years @ $6 million) or RNH (5 years @ $6 million) at their salaries and contract length.

Chiarelli thinks he can get top dollar for these guys but discovered nobody is interested.

Random note - The Trade Rumors family (home of the especially awesome MLB Trade Rumors site) announced that they will be started an NHL one later this year (they put out a call for writers)

2 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

Jagr will be back next year. I am unreasonably happy by this 

I want to punch all the people online who are basically accusing the guy of using PED's with no basis whatsoever. There's being cynical and then there's being a moron.

Ottawa instantly becomes my eastern team to support, as they hired Guy "I WOULD BE SHOCKED" Boucher as their new coach! Oh, how I've opined that he should've been the man to replace AV and subsequently Tortorella.

WELCOME ISLANDERS FANS!

Mind you, I adore Billy Joel, but hearing The Islanders Can Do No Wrong crew on MSG+ always pining for this song made me seethe.