DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

What say you, DVDVR folk? After a disappointing season, should the Flames consider dumping Hartley and hiring Boudreau? I don't think it's likely to happen (unless the team starts really poorly next season and Boudreau is still available), but should they consider it?

Pretty much, though at this point, I think Calgary would take the regular season success Boudreau brings with him.

Can it be 5:00 PDT yet? Worst case scenario: 1) Edmonton 2) Columbus 3) Phoenix. Best case scenario : 1) Vancouver 2) Toronto 3) Winnipeg.

I mean, I guess we'll settle for Laine. I guess. 

Literally anyone but Vancouver. If the narrative is "stop rewarding management's failure" there's literally nobody less deserving of the win and as we all know the draft lottery is about DESERVE and not MATH.

I'm still holding out for Carolina and their magic 2%. Fear the 2% something weird like that is really overdue in the NHL process.

• Like 2

I think the narrative is to stop rewarding consistent failure. Brian Burke, a totally neutral observer in this process, was just on SportsNet and said as much. Who am I to argue with such a fine looking individual?

I'm still unsure of how Edmonton's consistent terrible play and management is in your blind spot. Again, no team leaning on a 18 year old to turn around a decade's worth of rot is going to find instant success.

• Like 2

The Oilers were awful for years and have had their current management in place for one season. I've yet to hear anyone explain to me why Peter Chiarelli should be punished for the failures of Steve Tambellini and Kevin Lowe. There is literally no one that has pointed out the Oilers are awful here more than me, because they are. I just wish people could keep the facts of how and why they are awful straight, I am sorry if that is inconvenient to certain poorly constructed narratives.

Burke's obsession with Edmonton has really gone beyond the pale. He's a 60 year old man that literally just thretened to beat someone up if the wrong team wins a mathematical formula. The Flames deserve better than this sort of garbage put on public display, frankly, but the media are so in love with it that no doubt he'll be rewared with the all powerful RETWEETS he seeks.

Again, no team leaning on a 18 year old to turn around a decade's worth of rot is going to find instant success.

You're preaching to the choir. Look at my last long exchange here with Flames fans telling me Hall is the problem on a team that hasn't had a good veteran D corps in 10 years. No team in history has succeeded with an army of children and nothing around it.

This is a really critical offseason. At the very least I expect Eberle to be traded (because he at least has some value).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I think the narrative is to stop rewarding consistent failure. Brian Burke, a totally neutral observer in this process, was just on SportsNet and said as much. Who am I to argue with such a fine looking individual?

I'm still unsure of how Edmonton's consistent terrible play and management is in your blind spot. Again, no team leaning on a 18 year old to turn around a decade's worth of rot is going to find instant success.

The best part is they are going to try and trade that rot this offseason.  

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Also, claiming Brian Burke is a totally neutral observer is the most blatant attempt at trolling me anyone has made in 2016 so far, and I salute you for the effort. You're a good fellow.

Glad you liked it. :D

So, if you're saying Chiarelli shouldn't be punished for his predecessors' mismanagement, does that mean the Canucks can win 3 lotteries in a row, fire Benning, and hit a restart button? Chia is guilty for not going out and acquiring some veteran help for Hall and McDavid. I get that last year had to be the worst free agent class in forever, and yeah, I get that being in Edmonton he'd have to overpay substantially to get any quality, but it's not like Edmonton didn't have some money to burn. He could've moved some under-performing youngsters for veteran help as well, particularly at a time when loaded teams need young, affordable players. I look at Edmonton's offseason moves last year and their lack of moves throughout the season as anything other than further tanking.  

Penguins were 29th Crosby's first year. He had Mario Lemieux on his team.

The value in a player like McDavid and Crosby (or for that matter Toews/Kane) beyond their obvious ability is that after people see he's not bullshit, he is the shit, it makes a program more attractive to your Marian Hossas and whatnot of the NHL.

Expecting Chiarelli to fix 9 years of sewage in Edmonton in five or six moves is just so far past hopleless I can't even be bothered to break it down further than that. This is the first time really in ages I feel confident we have people running the team capable of doing what needs to be done, and if you go back and look at last year, I said straight out I expected this season to basically be an extended training camp for now. So far, that looks about right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He could start to try. Sitting pat in the middle of the great garbage patch isn't negligent at all.

What realistically feasable moves that he didn't make would you have suggested? "Negligent" is a pretty strong word so clearly there was something that obviously improves the Oilers on the table you feel like sharing. Are we talking actually improving the team, or is this "trade Eberle for the fourth or fifth best defenseman on a fringe contender" bullshit?

• Like 1