DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

20 hours ago, Death From Above said:

What do people make of Eugene Melnyk's claim today that he's lost $100 million on the Ottawa Senators? I mean, Melnyk says so many things, but... it's possible, I guess?

He's lying.  Sports owners are pretty much ALWAYS lying when they say they're losing money.

• Like 1

19 years ago today was the final Whalers game, a 2-1 victory over TB. Besides when my father passed away this was the single worst day of my life. I still remember listening to the game on WTIC and when the announcer said "one minute of hockey left in Hartford" I just fucking lost it. I can honestly say if you offered me either a $50 million fortune or my Whalers back I would take my Whalers coming back every single time without hesitation. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss them.

• Like 1

Saw a report that the Sabres had the highest local TV ratings of any NHL team, overtaking the Pens for that honor. Imagine if we are challenging for a title? You could end up with ratings in WNY rivaling Rikidozan in Japan.

I'm excited for next season's Hurricanes. They challenged down the stretch, and that's all that I wanted them to do this season. 

It looks like Jordan Staal is wanting out, but the big, dumb contracts (Eric Staal, Cam Ward) are done, and some of the other shitty players (Brad Malone, Chris Terry and Nathan Gerbe) are off the books as well. Not to mention the boatload of pics we have in the next draft. Our young defensemen played like champs this season, and hopefully they won't all suffer sophmore slumps next year. 

I'm excited to see who Ron Francis re-stocks the team with. It's an exciting time to be a Hurricanes fan. 

• Like 1

Little late this year, sorry. 

I like the makeup of the Panthers overall right now but they can't assume Jagr or Luongo will be the answers next year and need to act accordingly. Also more blue line depth would be nice. 

Tallon has never been a guy who overspends on the open market and I don't expect him to now. The blueprint is clearly working. 

I didn't mean dump him as much as he's 37 and the big decline is coming with no obvious heir as #1. He was brought back here as a stopgap and he's more than exceeded expectations.

Jagr at his age has got to be a year to year proposition at this point and first-line RWs don't grow on trees. Particularly ones that sync with your SC1 center the way he did. 

I trust Fallon's decision-making, though. He's earned that the way the Panthers have progressed the last two years. 

And like I said, they lost because of not enough back line depth. If they ever lose Eggs, forget it.