DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2016 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

So disappointing and honestly a bit surprising as to how the series has unfolded. The only positive thing is hopefully this gets GMs valuing speed over size (of course, both is ideal but, as JBL likes to remind us thrice a week, it's a rare combination) and coaches looking to move the puck quickly and crisply in transition. It's a bit heartbreaking for Joe and Marleau to wait almost 20 years to get to a final and then get thoroughly outplayed. Particularly so when they looked so impressive against quality teams. But those teams they beat were bruisers largely. They never faced a team with the speed of the Penguins.

I've always liked the Penguins dating back to my old NHL games but I can understand some people not wanting to see Sid win another cup. It's not over though. We've seen the Pens blow series in the past. Also, the Penguins were terrible for much of the season, did anyone see this coming from them?  I was looking at maybe a first round exit, second round exit if they matched up well but a run at the cup I did not see coming. Despite having Sid and Malkin who really didn't light it up to their usual standards.

44 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Holy shit, this period has been amazing hockey.

Logan Couture is a bona fide superstar. 

Superstars don't have 67 as their career-high for points in a season. 

This is surreal. I thought the Pens season was lost at Christmas. Never in a million years did I think this would be the year. After all those years with the Big Two only to fizzle out they finally assemble a team of cast offs and youngsters and it all comes together. 

So happy for Sid and Geno. 

• Like 1