DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2016 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

The thunderstorms knocked out my cable, so I listened to the third period on the radio, nervously pacing even though the Blues' lead was a big one.  I'm pretty sure that's exactly what 10-year-old me did back in '86 when the Blues advanced to the Campbell Conference final.

That felt totally different than the blowout last night. This wasn't a Nashville implosion, this was San Jose going full Brock Lesnar.

I know it's the Sharks, I know there's THAT HISTORY there. But goddamn they look serious this year. Honestly, Joe Thornton impresses me more now than he did a few years ago as a Hart trophy candidate, I'm not sure he's ever looked better. It's crazy.

It figures so much that the Sharks finally "get it" in the season the Blues have their most legitimate chance to win a Cup in my lifetime. 

Both teams have a lot going for them. Sharks forward group is amazing, both have 3 great forward lines, Blues probably have the advantage in goalie. Either way, this probably feels like the coolest conference final in a long time, just because both franchises have such a history of fucking up at this level, or before it, and this year they both took out their arch rivals round 1, and then avoided the standard 2nd round letdown just to meet their mirror. And, really, St. Louis/San Jose has been an underrated rivalry since 2000. This should be an amazing series.

• Like 1

I am soooooo hyped for this WCF. I will not be disappointed either way but deep down I'm rooting for Joe. Just want the cup to stay in the west.

Btw, was that Shea Weber last night or did San Jose go all Thunderball on us and replace him with Mike Weber?

I'm pretty ok with either team coming out of the East.  I like the Penguins because of Mario - and they have a guy (Brian Rust) from my hometown of Pontiac, MI.  And Tampa has my all-time favorite athlete running the show and a guy from my current city of Spokane (Tyler Johnson).  So I'm good either way but am pulling for Tampa, for sure.

When the NHL gets bankrupted by a concussion lawsuit I think the Callihan hit and the subsequent refusal of the league to punnish him will play a significant role. The league simply refuses to punnish players for dangerous hits and it's just ridiculous at this point.

I love the Blues organist. He is a welcomed change from the normal earsplitting music played at most NHL rinks. Very old school and classy!

• Like 1

Dear Ken Hitchcock.

I am so happy your main strategic change to being shutout the last 7 periods of play and being completely outperformed all 9 periods of play is "Change the Goalie". In spite of a conference finals appearance, I still hope we can your ass the moment the post-season ends.

Signed, ED.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Dear Ken Hitchcock.

I am so happy your main strategic change to being shutout the last 7 periods of play and being completely outperformed all 9 periods of play is "Change the Goalie". In spite of a conference finals appearance, I still hope we can your ass the moment the post-season ends.

Signed, ED.

Steve Ott gets more minutes than Tarasenko. Clearly Ken Hitchcock is a hockey genius. You'd get a kick out of Rick DiPietro on radio up here tearing him up : "Hi I'm Ken Hitchcock and all my players hate me.".

Hitchcock is a guy I have a feeling you're going to struggle to find any players that have much nice to say about him when he's gone.  I was genuinely afraid he was going to be the Oilers coach when we ended up with McLellan instead.

I'm not really sure why he's backing the bus over his MVP. Again. But, that's just the kind of guy he is.

I don't mean this to sound like some big condemnation of where the NHL is at, because it's much more a compliment to how well Tampa have played. But it's completely shocking they could win the eastern conference without Stamkos at all. I really misread where they are as a team, though they are a team I don't see a ton of during the regular season.

Holy shit, Bob Cole just mixed up the Sharks with the fucking North Stars. I love it! I had to listen to it 5 times to make sure what I thought I was hearing was what I was hearing.

36 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Holy shit, Bob Cole just mixed up the Sharks with the fucking North Stars. I love it! I had to listen to it 5 times to make sure what I thought I was hearing was what I was hearing.

Well the Sharks were essentially born out of splitting the North Stars into two teams so maybe it was a reference to that?