DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2016 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

THE PASSOVER EPIC!!! My God Sunday may end up being the craziest most psychotic crowd ever if the Isles win. Barclays has been suprisingly loud so far which is a testament to the Isles fans. I really hope they get their moment on Sunday because no fans in all of hockey deserve it more after the 23 years of lunacy they had to endure.

Eh, Sharks and Blues fans have had it way worse because they don't have anything to look back on like the Isles fans can. Being good and constantly finding new ways to lose is harder to swallow than handling incompetency. I should know, experiencing both recently.

But yeah, while I prefer either of those two teams, any fresh team would be nice. Panthers, Islanders, Caps, even the Wild...

Why the fuck was Niemi in net?

The intensity is so much higher in the LA/SJ and CHI/STL series compared to the rest. Some of these other games come off as regular season games.

Fuck yea,  sharks!

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Eh, Sharks and Blues fans have had it way worse because they don't have anything to look back on like the Isles fans can. Being good and constantly finding new ways to lose is harder to swallow than handling incompetency. I should know, experiencing both recently.

But yeah, while I prefer either of those two teams, any fresh team would be nice. Panthers, Islanders, Caps, even the Wild...

It wasn't as much incompetency for the Isles as much as it was lunacy. You had a fraud owner, two co owners who followed him who were repulsive and then batshit crazy lunatic Wang. They were in a building that was so badly neglected that it was falling apart. You had Mad Mike and then Garth with jobs for life regardless of how awful a job they did. And then they were an NHL team in name only. Remember them aquiring the rights to retired Tim Thomas just to get to the cap floor? And then to cap it off the team moves 25 miles west of it's fanbase to a basketball arena that is awful for hockey.

There was never a pretense of those Isles teams being good. To truly hurt, you must have hope first. Islanders fans went from being on top of the world with one of the better runs in the league's history to a fun, scrappy team in the post-dynasty years then to the clusterfuck of Wang 'n' Mike. Nobody expected anything of them and there was a long stretch of success in the not so distant past to look back upon fondly.

The Canucks, Sharks, and Blues have all had great teams for long stretches and have had endured heartbreak after heartbreak. Panthers are in a weird spot, where they had a Cinderella run in the '90s, crashed back down to reality and have sucked pretty much ever since then up until the past 3 years or so. They're ahead of schedule but nobody had expectations for them heading into the season. They have one of the best young cores in the league though and should be a constant contender that can join the heartbreak club soon enough. I also feel for Leaf fans of course, the few diehard Sens fans, and Sabre fans. It'd be nice for some of those lovable losers to win a cup.

Yeah a Sabres cup would be fantastic. We are headed in that direction and I just hope RJ is still around to call it when it happens.

Speaking of calls, the Howie Rose call of the winner was an all time classic: "Quine just answered one of the four questions!". Mazel tov!!!

For a neutral fan the Rangers/Penguins game today has started out wonderfully.  Only thing I wonder is what was Stepan doing on the Pens goal? 

And there's a power play goal from the Penguins.  Just wow!  2-2 and we still have 8 minutes to go in the first.

16 minutes ago, Shadow said:

For a neutral fan the Rangers/Penguins game today has started out wonderfully.  Only thing I wonder is what was Stepan doing on the Pens goal? 

And there's a power play goal from the Penguins.  Just wow!  2-2 and we still have 8 minutes to go in the first.

Yeah - if they are going down today, at least they are going down in entertaining fashion