DVDVR Message Board

Who would win a 7 game series on a neutral floor between the 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls and the 2015-2016 GS Warriors?

Ryan

Who would win a 7 game series on a neutral floor between the 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls and the 2015-2016 GS Warriors?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win a 7 game series on a neutral floor between the 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls and the 2015-2016 GS Warriors?

• 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls
    • 2015-2016 Golden State Warriors

Since the EPSN Poll is hilariously one-sided. 70/30%. I figured I would do the same poll here. Own your vote. I barely watch the NBA now, but I watched it a lot more in Jordan's era and I'd still choose Golden State because they just seem to be a way better overall team. Once you get past Jordan, and a 2nd tier Pippen you just have a lot of random pieces that all clicked. Golden State seems to have a lot better overall actual team as well as starting lineup. Now, their defense is another story.

• Like 1

It might depend on the rules you are playing under. If you put Curry's Warriors in 1996, they get clobbered. If you put Jordan and Pippen in today's game with no hand checking and the lack of physical play, do those guys go nuclear and score 50 apiece? I picked the Bulls but wouldn't be shocked if the Warriors beat the Bulls a couple of games in a series. 

• Like 1

My initial thought is that the Bulls starting lineup has an advantage but Golden State's bench would probably own Chicago's.

I think Rodman becomes an issue for Chicago in a series against Golden State. We've seen what happens to teams when they try and play an offensive zero against GSW.

On the other hand, the Bulls could probably play a "small ball" lineup more often against GSW than they could back in 95-96. You'd probably get Rodman vs Draymond at center.

In 1996 the Warriors get smashed in 2016 they run the Bulls out of the gym.  The Bulls may be able to adapt and play at the Warriors pace, but I wouldn't bet on it.  They were perfectly made for a game that no longer exists, but the Warriors are perfectly built for the current game.  They'd be playing catch up from the beginning and they'd probably lose.  The Bulls tried to slow the game down and beat you two points at a time, but the Warriors want to speed the game up and score 3 points at a time.  Three is worth significantly more than two and that gap gets bigger when you account for pace.  

• Like 1

What Will said. With the old illegal defense rules forcing them to cover Rodman and the centers no matter where they are, opening up isos for MJ and Pip, with hand checking? Bulls.

Current rules, Chicago team lacks outside shooting to space the floor, and could easily get shot right out of the gym.

• Like 1

Well the one scary thing about the Warriors with '96 rules is the 22' line, but yeah, coverage issues are going to force the Warriors out of their game.

49 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Current rules, Chicago team lacks outside shooting to space the floor, and could easily get shot right out of the gym.

I think the answer to this lies in Charlie's "small ball" lineup. If the Bulls can line up Kerr-Jordan-Pippen-Kukoc-Rodman for half the game, there's outside shooting 1-4 (slightly less than the stats would indicate, as the league had the shorter 3-point line that year, but that's still three career 32+% three-point shooters plus Kerr.) Not sure I can say the Bulls win that, but I think there's an argument to be made, whereas under 96 rules I think the Warriors are just putting up bombs hoping, (and if the Bulls are playing Harper/Jordan/Pippen, the perimeter D is going to make this plan rough on them, especially with Rodman smothering Draymond inside and out,) so I vote Bulls.

Yeah, I'd think the Worm would play center too and it would be a fascinating match-up with Draymond probably getting T'd out of all the games. Rebounding can be the Warriors' achilles heel, more so than turnovers, and Rodman would be their biggest problem. Iggy and either Draymond or Barnes (probably only as a last option) would be fun to watch too. Kukoc was ridiculously good for this short period of time, so he'd be a good stretch forward who can also score inside. But the Warriors depth, speed on the break, and Curry's insane range are enough I think. Would Pippen guard Klay? 

I want this to happen on a holodeck or something. It would be fucking beautiful basketball.

I think Rodman completely takes Green out of the game. His bullshit antics would drive a guy like Dray over a cliff. Throw Pippen on someone else. Throw MJ on someone else. They match up pretty well on that end. Better than any team currently.

Also, Pippen could have been argued as the 2nd best all around player in the league at this point. Shitty attitude aside, he almost won the MVP when Jordan took a vacation.

• Like 1

I actually think the Bulls match up defensively better than a lot of people are giving them credit for. Rodman would be a great cover on Draymond, and Pippen would have the size to make Klay's life really hard. No one can guard Steph, but at least Jordan and Harper can foul the shit out of him. Luc Longley and Andrew Bogut would probably kill each other by the end of the series. 

I know we've been conditioned now to think size doesn't matter for today's NBA game, but the Bulls had a lot of guys who were above average size for their positions. Kukoc was 6'10"! Rodman was considered undersized for his position and he was 6'7". Pippen was 6'8" with one of the biggest wingspans ever. Those guys could all run, too. Stuff like that makes it harder to shoot until you get used to it. 

Also, I hate to agree with Kuetsar, but I would never put down money against Michael Jordan in a basketball game. I never liked Michael or the Bulls, but I feel like we've forgotten how inevitable he made things feel. 

I guess I'd say I think the Bulls would have a better chance under 2016 rules than the Warriors would under 1996 rules, but I still think which rule book we use decides the series.

Another thing, the Warriors might have a better bench 6-12, but between the Bulls' size and the flexibility their system allowed them, they wouldn't need a lot of minutes from too many of them. In a seven game series, you'd have Kukoc playing 30, Kerr playing 20, and the rest just filling in a bit. 

I think no matter the era, the Bulls would beat the living hell out of the Ws.  I mean, they would physically beat the shit out of them.  Be kind of funny to watch Curry deal with the Jordan rules.  Jordan can flat out slap you in the face and not get called, but if you breathe on him, free throws. 

Now that I think about it, be kind of fun to watch the 88-89 Detroit Pistons against the Ws, just to watch the Warriors bleed.

• Like 1

It's less about the increased physicality (shrift handchecking would help a lot against Curry) and more about the illegal defense rules that have been softened. You can pack your defense in tight against Jordan or Pippen isos and just not defend Rodman (and/or Longley) and that's a major change to the game. Chicago really only had two good three point shooters by modern standards, and that was with the shorter line. 

That Bulls team was built for an era that is over, and they are nowhere near being built for the current game. 

That said, Jordan and Pippen man...

What makes this conversation impossible isn't necessarily the rule changes, it's the style/system/skill set shift between '96 and '16.  

If we are plopping this Bulls team down with no changes in philosophy it would be tough, but, when you look at the pieces they had, it's not hard to imagine this team fitting stylistically in today's game.    

At the very least, Jordan would be a much better 3 point shooter if he was in his prime today.  

Here's another thing, if you stick Rodman on Draymond, Draymond is taking him away from his area of dominance around the rim for the most part as Green plays point forward. Warriors have him stay around the perimeter and match up Bogut on Longley, who wasn't much of a rebounder. 

Then it gets interesting to see if they switch it up with Pippen on Draymond, leaving Jordan and Harper to defend the Splash Brothers.

I like when teams put the best wing defender on Draymond so they can switch the screen on to Curry.

I would put Pippen on Dray as often as possible.  MJ on Curry in the crunch. You can switch that PnR til hell freezes over.

Rodman on Iggy so he can cheat down on the boards.  

Jordan wasn't a great 3-point shooter but do we doubt that he would have become one or would have had more games like game 1 vs. the Blazers where he ripped off six in a row like he was down at the Y?   The chemistry between Jordan and Pippen might be overlooked thus far in this discussion as well. They played exceptionally well off one another and were both phenomenal passers. The Bulls always had great ball movement especially in the fast break.

• Like 1

How about with street top playground rules? That could get nasty. I see Rodman straight up killing someone, possibly on his own roster.

• Like 1