DVDVR Message Board

Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2017?

Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2017?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2017?

• The Lego Batman Movie (February)
    • Wolverine Threequel (March)
    • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (May)
    • Wonder Woman (June)
    • Kingsman: The Golden Circle (June)
    • Spider-Man Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures reboot (July)
    • Thor: Ragnarok (November)
    • Justice League, Part 1 (November)
    • TV

At smarkschoice I ask which superhero film you’re most interested in for the following year so I brought it over here last year. I don’t know what took me so long. I added a TV show option last year, first time and I’ve done so again. I didn’t want to miss any out by name so I banded them into the same category. Feel free to say them.

Here’s 2017 (listed by month on release via Wikipedia):

The Lego Batman Movie (February)

Wolverine Threequel (March)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (May)

Wonder Woman (June)

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (June)

Spider-Man Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures reboot (July)

Thor: Ragnarok (November)

Justice League, Part 1 (November)

TV

I was unsure whether to allow one vote per person or multiple choice but thought fuck it and went for the latter for the first time. You know what the Joker said about his past in Batman: The Killing Joke ; ).

Mine in order as of today though it might change with posters/trailers/clips:

1. The Lego Batman Movie.

2. Wonder Woman.

3. Spider-Man Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures reboot.

4. Justice League, Part 1.

5. Wolverine Threequel.

6. Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

7. Thor: Ragnarok.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

9. TV.

Batman was the best thing in The Lego Movie (2014) and now he’s getting his own movie! The first two trailers released recently were funny, especially the second with Alfred running through Batman’s looks referencing the live action Batman movies from Batman (1966) on. Darkness! No parents!

I liked Wonder Woman’s brief debut in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) so be interesting to see a movie around her. Origin stories in comic books and comic book films are a favourite of mine of so I’m looking forward to the film particularly Themyscira.

Spider-Man Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures reboot is currently in third place but that might change when I’ve seen Captain America: Civil War (2016) where Spidey makes his Marvel Cinematic Universe debut. I’ve ranked the film based on Spidey’s quick but memorable appearance in the last Captain America: Civil War trailer, the costume and more so on Marvel Studios involvement. Marvel Studios has a great record, they’ve only had a few missteps. For me, Spider-Man will always be THE Marvel character.

There were things I did and didn’t like in the previously mentioned Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice so that and Man of Steel has lowered my expectations for Justice League, Part 1. Critically Zack Snyder’s 0-2 with the DC Extended Universe.

Hugh Jackman has said the Wolverine Threequel will be his last. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) is the worst X-Men film and I liked The Wolverine (2013) but the final act is a letdown. Hoping the third time’s the charm and a fitting farewell as Hugh Jackman’s great in the Logan/Jimmy/Wolverine role he’s played for 17 years.

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015) is one of my favourite films from last year with its take on the spy genre, the performances by Taron Egerton, Colin Firth, Samuel L. Jackson and that action, especially the church congregation battle. Matthew Vaughn must be happy with Kingsman: The Golden Circle as it’s the first time he’s stayed on for a sequel.

Thor (2011) is underrated and I liked Thor: The Dark World (2013) but I definitely prefer the first film. Thor hasn’t had a great solo film like Iron Man’s first and Captain America both times. I wish this be it with Thor, Loki and the surprise inclusion of the Incredible Hulk. After waiting for three years from Avengers Assemble (2012) to get Bruce Banner’s alter ego in Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), I felt wasn’t as good both the writing of Bruce and the film itself.

I bet I’ve surprised putting Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 at the bottom for films. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) felt like something different. I thought that would help rather than hinder but it’s done even better critically and financially than I predicted. It’s one of those films you like but not to the extent the majority does.

For TV, I watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Marvel Netfllix shows. I liked Gotham Season One for the most part. Gotham: Rise of the Villains started in the UK at the start of the year. As a big Batman fan, I wasn't feeling it's return as something I have to see, haven't watched it.

Ugh...   that's a suspect looking slate of movies. I loved the first Guardians of the Galaxy but I don't have high hopes for this one.  They need to get a better/more interesting villain in there.

Spider-Man who knows. Maybe it'll be decent but when is enough, enough..?

Wonder Woman could be okay but I'm not sure if Gal Gadot can carry an entire movie.

Thor is going to be average just like the rest of his movies. Hopefully Natalie Portman isn't in this. She's awful. 

Justice League I have no idea what WB is going to do with that.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

1. The Lego Batman Movie.

2. Spider-Man Homecomingt.

3. Wonder Woman.

4. Justice League, Part 1.

5. Wolverine Threequel.

6. Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

7. Thor: Ragnarok.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

9. TV.

Spider-Man: Homecoming has jumped up a place thanks to Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War. I doubt I'll be alone.