DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 4/7/16

victor

I laughed and laughed and laughed some more seeing Owens flip the stairs for Jericho.  And then he tells Chris in a "Hey, I took care of that for ya." kind of way.  Owens is so damn good at what he does.  And I'm really glad to see Maryse back, always liked her for 1. The obvious reasons and 2. being a good bitchy heel.  If you want to say it's a downgrade from Owens having it, I get it.  But Miz as chickensheet heel champion needing Maryse to help him is going to be super fun TV.

• Like 1

One of the good things about Miz having the IC title is that it frees up KO to move up into the world title picture. And losing it the way he did at Mania keeps Owens looking strong. It's one of the relatively few pieces of good booking going on these days.

• Like 1

Hot fuck, this show ruled. The main event tag was great , AJ Styles as the main man on the show was sweet, all the other stuff was good but man, I fucking LOVED that Ryder vs Miz match. And that's something I never thought anyone would type, let alone myself. But hot fucking damn. I've been high on Miz for awhile but Ryder has always left me cold. When his "self generated " push got squashed a few years ago I thought "Good. That guy stinks." But man oh man, this match was PURE Asshole bad guy vs TOTAL good guy. Super groovy pro Rasslin .

• Like 2

I'm sorry but was QC Money just on Smackdown?

Man that show was a blast. These four guys (+ Sami & Mox) in the main event scene is dope as hell. Even though I have no interest in Roman's work, I like how they made him into a cocksure kind of face who is kind of an arrogant prick, it works so perfectly with the response he gets. I don't know if they canned the crowd audio but AJ seems over as FUQUE. It's nice he got the closing fall of the show but that rollup is not at all a fitting way for super faces to go over, in any situation. I guess anything more would have made it less believable KO got back up so fast to brawl with Sami. OK wait, that rollup was pretty perfect. On the KO/Sami tip - how perfect is that feud? It works so well it transitioned flawlessly to WWE. They don't need shit. They don't need a title to feud over. They just hate the shit out of each other.

ps. Loved Mauro calling shit like ushi koroshi (lol poor Tenzan) and la quebrada, even though AJ was going for the Asai DDT.

I said after WM that Reigns needed to come out in a suit and be a cocky prick and let everyone know he is the man and if they don't like too damn bad.  The suit thing never happened but the attitude thing did and that is the perfect direction right now.  Seriously why should he give a crap what the fans think of him?  He beat HHH clean and now is making champion money.  Screw them.

Great show all around.  Owens by far is my favorite thing about this company.  Plays the douche bag role perfectly.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NickMD said:

If you want to say it's a downgrade from Owens having it, I get it.  But Miz as chickensheet heel champion needing Maryse to help him is going to be super fun TV.

Owens really doesn't need the belt at this point. Plus his feud with Sami really doesn't need a title on the line either. Miz has been awesome this year, and he's a guy who's act is enhanced by having the IC title. I'm glad to see Ryder and Emma get a chance to do something on the MR after doing such good work in NXT(especially Emma).

Jericho's dad bod splash from the apron cracked me up. Looking at the set up you could tell Cesaro was too far away for Jericho to try that switching direction splash, but he went for it like it was 1999.

On 08/04/2016 at 4:24 PM, Godfrey said:

Owens was hilarious in the main event. Saying "We get it. We get it. You have a suit." during Cesaro's entrance and tossing the ring steps for Jericho during his tantrum. Great match too.

Kevin Owens is great. WWE MVP for the year so far. Honourable mentions: Samoa Joe and AJ Styles.

I'm going to say this because it aggravated the fuck out of me. 

Whoever decided to have AJ Styles and Roman Reigns to do a promo together needs to be fired or retired. Roman has the charisma of a cockroach. His tired ass lines and his tendency to say ass to appear edgy is as annoying as the fact that he literally has no character. "I'm not the good guy or bad guy" routine would be interesting if Roman actually represented something and had the capacity have some moral ambiguity. CM Punk was an interesting tweener. Asuka is an interesting tweener. Roman are just boring character that is ripping off bad 90s action movies. You are trying to build heat off a match up by doing the wrong shit. Then his line of "I am the GUY" with emphasis was so terrible that I almost laughed if it meant anything to me. Turn him heel already and stop bullshitting, WWE. 

AJ trying to be the underdog experienced guy does not work because unlike Daniel Bryan, AJ works like he is truly "Phenomenal" in a sense. He is gifted at everything in that ring. He can chain wrestle, he has better power moves than Roman himself, he can work stiff, he can fly with the best of them, and the only thing he can't do is talk which is forgivable because he is an ace in that ring. Daniel Bryan was an acquired taste who looked like an underdog and worked like one in a style that is rarely appreciated outside of certain wrestling circles who adored guys like Dean Malenko and William Regal. AJ can never work like one because he is so damn talented at everything and even when he was jobbing, you could never let go of the fact that he is way too damn good to be Christian's lackey. WWE should just give up on the whole "experienced WWE newcomer" template that they give their indy guys because it won't work for everyone and AJ Styles is one of them. 

• Like 1

i just don't get the book behind Roman, man. Everything about it just annoys me when I think logically about it.

He is such a horrible character and it is sad because if someone just sat down with him and worked on his character to make him interesting, he probably would not boo him out the arena every other night. You don't have to be workrate guys like Nak, Styles, Cesaro, Sami Zayn, Sasha, Becky, and etc, to get over in today's wrestling. Mil Muertes proves that with every outing in Lucha Underground. As soon as the Shield split up, Roman's entire character made no sense. He never developed a purpose or even a reason why he would want to be WWE champion other than screw with the Authority who hates him in spite of Roman being everything they would want in a champion if their critique of Daniel Bryan is to be taken seriously. And they keep burying the guy trying to get him over and it is not working because he literally has no character. He has no real motivation. Why isn't Roman "the good guy or bad guy?" Why does Roman want t be the best? Did he have some hardship in his storyline? Did he ever have moment where he did not succeed or his success was not inevitable? Why does Roman do anything?

WWE loves the Rock and love pairing his relationship with Roman but seem to forget what made Rocky Maiva turn into the Rock. The Rock hated that the fans hated him. He craved adulation and praise and when he got a mic for once, he wasn't blue chipper Rocky Maiva, third generation superstar. He was braggadocios, show off heel who was larger than life because he was treated like shit and resented the fact that they hated him. He did not overcome the hate or rise above it. He internalized it and talked shit right back.

Am I crazy and setting up myself for perpetual disappointment when I watch WWE expecting logically consistent character development in today's WWE? Yes. But they fucked over poor Roman, and I don't see why they see why Roman is the guy anymore. 

NBC Universo is the best; you get to watch the sweet futbol goal replays waiting for Smackdown to start.

- Vaudevillains vs. Lucha Dragons is tailor-made for Saturday Morning Slam, if they still did that. (Did they bring it back on the Network? I thought I heard something about that awhile back.) The Spanish language commentator butchers the pronunciation of, according to him, "George Hackeenshmit". Vaudevillians are better than expected with the horrible gimmick they have. 

- Charlotte: "Do you wanna see my title? No." Flair: "LOL" Summer and Nattie have a clearly well-worked out ahead of time, but well executed match... is Summer busting out a Cobra Clutch there? Short but sweet. Dig the new belt. I knew they couldn't resist putting the generational duo in a feud for too long though the non-Charlotte NXT callups deserve the spotlight more, especially after looking at poor Becky's face.

- God just when you think you can't hate the Miz more, look at that getup. It's worse than Ms."I took a course of French in junior college" Maryse. If they want to get Ryder over then they can't do any better than put those two together. The moment when Ryder snaps out of nowhere would be awesome if they'd allow him to go all dark with it. Maybe join the Wyatts in protest? He's already grown out a beard. They have another really well layed out match with reversal mistakes and false finishes. Love how the commentator yells "POW!" on the kick outside. Miz still needs to change that finisher but then if it looked good we might hate him less. 

- Nice call-out to his granddad from Axel. Apollo looks great overall though the match was short. Bet Vince thinks "GODDAMMIT I'VE GOT MY NEW BOBBY LASHLEY". 

- Countdown looks like WWE Studios decided to remake No Holds Barred. 

- Hold on, they're repackaging los Matadores? It might be Carlito 2.0 but that gimmick wasn't gonna go anywhere anyway (though I'm not sure this will either). Ah, Torito, you will be missed. Good luck back in CMLL man.  

- Breeze takes the bump from the DDT right on his knees. Dunno if that's smart or not considering what walking down stairs are doing to mine right now and I'm not even a professional wrestler. 

- Yet another match I never thought would be even close to the main roster. CESARO IS BACK MOTHERFUCKERS! Owens flipping the stairs for Jericho was indeed a bit of high comedy right there. God I love him immediately scrambling and taking advantage of Cesaro after the uppercut party too, then taunting AJ like an asshole. Then Jericho comes in and slaps Cesaro in the back of the head and you realize this is a great rudo team you never knew was possible. These four have a match that seems like everyone was having an absolute blast just because all four were working together and then Sami comes out and you get a hockey fight and a pull-apart and shit gets real. The crowd even chants "LET THEM FIGHT". That was one hell of a match and a show.

5 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

i just don't get the book behind Roman, man. Everything about it just annoys me when I think logically about it.

He is such a horrible character and it is sad because if someone just sat down with him and worked on his character to make him interesting, he probably would not boo him out the arena every other night. You don't have to be workrate guys like Nak, Styles, Cesaro, Sami Zayn, Sasha, Becky, and etc, to get over in today's wrestling. Mil Muertes proves that with every outing in Lucha Underground. As soon as the Shield split up, Roman's entire character made no sense. He never developed a purpose or even a reason why he would want to be WWE champion other than screw with the Authority who hates him in spite of Roman being everything they would want in a champion if their critique of Daniel Bryan is to be taken seriously. And they keep burying the guy trying to get him over and it is not working because he literally has no character. He has no real motivation. Why isn't Roman "the good guy or bad guy?" Why does Roman want t be the best? Did he have some hardship in his storyline? Did he ever have moment where he did not succeed or his success was not inevitable? Why does Roman do anything?

WWE loves the Rock and love pairing his relationship with Roman but seem to forget what made Rocky Maiva turn into the Rock. The Rock hated that the fans hated him. He craved adulation and praise and when he got a mic for once, he wasn't blue chipper Rocky Maiva, third generation superstar. He was braggadocios, show off heel who was larger than life because he was treated like shit and resented the fact that they hated him. He did not overcome the hate or rise above it. He internalized it and talked shit right back.

Am I crazy and setting up myself for perpetual disappointment when I watch WWE expecting logically consistent character development in today's WWE? Yes. But they fucked over poor Roman, and I don't see why they see why Roman is the guy anymore. 

200_s.gif

5 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Isn't Maryse French Canadian? Her last name is certainly French.

She is absolutely French-Canadian. But hey, this is the internet. When have we ever let the facts stand in the way of our complaining?

In my defense I had to look her up after the fact. Didn't remember who she was at all. And also, I was backhandedly complimenting both of them

Seriously, if I come off as negative, I'm just being snarky after a couple of drinks. That was a great show with a 100% performance from everyone. Except maybe Lawler, who I don't know about cause I didn't have to hear him. 

When Maryse first auditioned for the Diva Search, she didn't speak any English. Just Quebecois French.

21 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

I'm going to say this because it aggravated the fuck out of me. 

Whoever decided to have AJ Styles and Roman Reigns to do a promo together needs to be fired or retired. Roman has the charisma of a cockroach. His tired ass lines and his tendency to say ass to appear edgy is as annoying as the fact that he literally has no character. "I'm not the good guy or bad guy" routine would be interesting if Roman actually represented something and had the capacity have some moral ambiguity. CM Punk was an interesting tweener. Asuka is an interesting tweener. Roman are just boring character that is ripping off bad 90s action movies. You are trying to build heat off a match up by doing the wrong shit. Then his line of "I am the GUY" with emphasis was so terrible that I almost laughed if it meant anything to me.

I can't hear anyone saying "I am the guy" without thinking of this:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

When Maryse first auditioned for the Diva Search, she didn't speak any English. Just Quebecois French.

I can't hear anyone saying "I am the guy" without thinking of this:

Well now we know why he's feuding with AJ.

• Like 3