DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 32 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

Eh, even his star ratings in the '90s were pretty weird. 

Comparing Zayn/Nakamura to some of the New Japan matches he gives 4 1/2 stars to is funny, particularly the Nakamura vs. Goto shitfests. Fucking Goto...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Maybe this seems awfully blah of me, but can we stop talking about Meltzer's match ratings like they have any logic other then 1 guys opinion who has had kinda shitty opinions for like a decade?

+1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Apparently the Trip & Steph S&M Swingers Club/Skeleton Army (featuring masks from Silver Shamrock) was:

I need a sequel to last year's Wrestlemania 24 Itami special where we follow Hideo all day to culminate in that dumb bullshit

Sorry, but I can't resist posting the Silver Shamrock commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHUv2ooG38

• Like 2

Well I would like everyone to stop yelling at Meltzer about how he has the Mania attendance wrong and how can you possibly not trust the number put out by the WWE.

I hate everyone

• Like 2

In all seriousness, Meltzer is the closest, most credible thing wrestling has to a journalist.  On a note related to your post, stay away from the "talk" tab in the Mania 3 Wikipedia page.  Or read it next March Madness to put things in perspective when you think some of us are getting a little ridiculous.

Well the folks on Twitter are just as bad since they are all like I LOOKED AT THE SEAT CAPACITY OF AT&T STADIUM!!! I KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!

And Dave is like "I got the number directly from the building"

Twitter response: NOT CREDIBLE EVIDENCE

• Like 4

I don't understand why fans would care about attendance numbers but they do and passionately. Everything on the show is a work, why wouldn't the attendance number be a work too?

I bet these people see those WWE "Did You Know?" facts and go around repeating them to people.

5 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Meltzer gave the ladder match 1/4* less than he gave Zayn-Nakamura.

He rated Styles/Jericho as 1/4* BETTER than Balor/Joe.

He had Sasha/Charlotte/Becky as 1/4* better than Bayley/Asuka.

He gave the same rating to the Total Divas tag that he did for Corbin/Aries.

What was that phrase Meltzer used to use to justify overrating shitty main events? Ring Polish or something? He's kind of got a hair up his arse about small crowds too - like if a mediocre match happens in front of a full stadium it's automatically better than the exact same match in front of 500 people in a 1000 seat arena. Unless it's a terrible match, in which case the large crowd makes it even worse somehow.

I don't do star ratings at all because well Christ..  you're splitting hairs at some point but if I had to do this card from Mania I would go.. 

Ryback/Kalisto - ***  It accomplished everything it set out to do, Kalisto hit some high spots and Ryback controlled the rest of the match doing this bullying shit that was downright hilarious. "You're a little guy and I'm THE BIG GUY!!" 

Total Divas/Team B.A.D. and Blonde - *** This was pretty good.  Everyone had a chance to shine and even Eva Marie and Lana hit their spots. In fact, Eva hit a nice head scissor that I don't think anyone mentioned.  Emma was awesome, Naomi was bumping around like crazy..  it's good. 

Usos/Dudleys - **   Nothing wrong with it pretty average match but short. Right team won. 

Ladder Match - **** I think Meltzer was close. Your opinion may vary on whether you dig spot fests or not but for me this had some really amazing spots especially from Zayn, Owens and even Sin Cara. As far as spot fests go, this one delivered. 

AJ Styles vs. Jericho *** -  The work was decent but they've had better matches on SD! and I still didn't think Jericho worked the match he should have worked. He should have been more methodical seeing as he can't quite stay with AJ. Do some more heel shit.

New Day vs. League of Nations **1/2   Nothing wrong with most of the work but Del Rio was going through the motions, finish made no sense, they weren't given much time either. 

Brock Lesnar vs. Dean Ambrose **1/2 -  I thought this was a pretty bad performance from Brock and never approached what a street fight at WM should be.

Charlotte v. Sasha v. Becky ****1/4 -  This was the match of the night. A couple slight mess ups but otherwise it was flat out awesome and each woman came out of this looking great.  It had a nice pace and they worked the triple threat stip better than most of the men do.

Hell in a Cell -  ** The work here was really bad and if not for Shane's crazy insane fucking bump it would be a complete disaster.  Undertaker did not look good at all either.

Andre Battle Royal - *  This was awful. Corbin won so that was good but otherwise I didn't care about it at all. 

Hunter v. Roman Reigns -  **1/2 Way too long and suffered from the same problem WM25 did. It should have been fought like a blood feud and it wasn't. Their brawls on RAW were a hell of a lot more entertaining then what we got here.

8 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Meltzer gave the ladder match 1/4* less than he gave Zayn-Nakamura.

He rated Styles/Jericho as 1/4* BETTER than Balor/Joe.

He had Sasha/Charlotte/Becky as 1/4* better than Bayley/Asuka.

He gave the same rating to the Total Divas tag that he did for Corbin/Aries.

I know star ratings are subjective and all.  I get enjoyment out of plenty of classic matches that would probably not rate anywhere near 4 or 5 stars or whatever...but damn at some of those ratings.

Eh, who gives a shit. It's one guy's rating for a match for how he felt about it.

How YOU felt about that match is all that matters. If he gave Sami vs Nak ***, would it change you from seeing it as a ***** match?

I also get that it's a recognition thing, but as others have stated, his methodology behind rating matches is wonky. Better recognition was that crowd being nuked and probably getting hugs and pats on the back by everyone backstage.

Dave's star ratings were a decent point of reference for me when I was relatively new to wrestling and exploring different eras/companies, nowadays I couldn't give a shit what the general consensus is or what Dave thinks are better matches than others, I like what I like, no-one is going to tell me otherwise. For the record Ryback/Kalisto was one of the best matches on the show so fuck those ratings in the butt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Dave's star ratings were a decent point of reference for me when I was relatively new to wrestling and exploring different eras/companies, nowadays I couldn't give a shit what the general consensus is or what Dave thinks are better matches than others, I like what I like, no-one is going to tell me otherwise. For the record Ryback/Kalisto was one of the best matches on the show so fuck those ratings in the butt.

That's what I felt too. People should go back and re-watch it..  Kalisto/Ryback was lots of fun, it had great commentary, told a nice story, it was everything it had to be and accomplished the goal.

Man fwiw I loved Jericho/AJ. Their series is just nice to me. Every match built on the previous ones in ways the announcers don't even always catch, and it makes me feel like they are just having fun with it. Nothing too complex or anything, but just nice, thought out, generally pleasing matches with a little progression from each one to the next. And they put AJ over huge the next day. I also expected him to win at Mania, but it makes sense to me that they're not gonna put the new guy over at their top event right after he comes in and it's just weird to see people outraged about that, like you're still after all of this time getting angry when WWE doesn't follow your fantasy booking. Like the Ryder win, which turned out just to be a gateway to Maryse returning, Miz getting the belt and Sami/Owens moving up. Not that it wouldn't have been a NUCLEAR pop if Sami had won, but you can't deny Ryder deserved that brief moment of big glory. I don't know.

Jericho put over Fandango clean as a sheet in his 1st match as the character.  At Wrestlemania.  I feel like the dues-paying argument kinda goes out the window at that point.

There are plenty of justifications for putting Jerich over AJ clean, just realize they are all justifying something stupid.

On 4/4/2016 at 0:22 AM, Brysynner said:

Sasha should've taken the submission not Becky. Unless they really are going to go to Charlotte vs Sasha where Sasha can win the belt and Becky can fuck off for getting over. Though I can see why they would go that route since they stopped telling the Charlotte/Becky story once Sasha came back

Sasha is super over and quite frankly should have won the match. Becky should not have lost or even taken the pin. It should have been Charlotte.

I stopped taking asshole Observer rater seriously after I looked up the rating for Eddie Guerrerro vs Rey Mysterio Jr at Halloween Havoc. And I also completely shit on asshole since I found out that Rey Mysterio has never received a 5 star match ever.