DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

Astros got Utleyed as the Brewer bullpen, well one guy mostly, tried to lose a six run lead in the ninth. I will take it.

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So... Do we have the debate about pulling out a rookie throwing a FUCKING NO HITTER after 7 1/3 because he hit some random arbitrary number here or in the stupidity thread. 

I'm glad I'm not a Dodgers fan

The Twins are off to their usual rip-roaring start.

One of these years, all this young talent they have is going to give us a pretty good team. But I have a funny feeling that 2016 is not that year.

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So... Do we have the debate about pulling out a rookie throwing a FUCKING NO HITTER after 7 1/3 because he hit some random arbitrary number here or in the stupidity thread. 

Welp we now know at least one team who will be on the shit list of the baseball gods.

I don't see why people are getting up in arms about Roberts pulling Stripling.

-Yes he had a no-hitter, but he had four walks and four strikeouts, and only threw strikes on 58 of 100 pitches. Not as if he was mowing Giants hitters down left and right.

-It was the first start of his major league career - he's not an "experienced vet" like Kershaw or Price or Greinke or whomever.

-He's never thrown 100 innings in a season, so there's no history of durability there either.

-He's two years removed from Tommy John surgery.

-100 pitches was also a career-high at *any* level since being drafted. Last year, he only topped 90 once.

-If you don't trust your bullpen to get five outs and protect a two-run lead, your bullpen is dogshit and you're not going to win a damn thing anyway.

Oh right - it's the internet. Logic doesn't apply.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Its also not like thre havent been no-hitters by committee befote. I think it was houston or philly that had  4 pitchers combine for a no no. 

Although in that case wasn't it a situation where the starter had to leave due to injury?

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Its also not like thre havent been no-hitters by committee befote. I think it was houston or philly that had  4 pitchers combine for a no no. 

Yeah there have been more than a couple - Astros in NY a few years back, Millwood and company for the Mariners, Hamels and the Phillies against the shitass Braves on Labor Day two years ago.

Due to icy conditions - the White Sox are not opening the upper deck today and fans will be relocated to lower level seats

Ah baseball in Chicago in April

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Due to icy conditions - the White Sox are not opening the upper deck today and fans will be relocated to lower level seats

Ah baseball in Chicago in April

Are Phillies at home today? Snowing its butt off w big fat wet snowflakes in Wilmngton earlier.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are Phillies at home today? Snowing its butt off w big fat wet snowflakes in Wilmngton earlier.

No they are playing the Mets in NY

Of course - the Nats postponed their game because it was "cold". Maybe that's why they don't want to go to the WS. Don't have to play in the mid-40s then

45 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Panda has won life better and faster than almost anyone else I can think of.

He followed it up by making a nice grab at third, saving a run and a sure double, but then being too fat to get up and throw the guy out at first.

This has not been the best start to the Jays season, so it's really the little things you have to find and enjoy.

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No they are playing the Mets in NY

Of course - the Nats postponed their game because it was "cold". Maybe that's why they don't want to go to the WS. Don't have to play in the mid-40s then

That and being a baseball team in Washington seems to be a curse of incredible proportions. In all the different incarnations, Washington won only one World Series and that was back when Walter Johnson was pitching.  . . . 

On 4/9/2016 at 7:16 AM, Joe Lucia said:

I don't see why people are getting up in arms about Roberts pulling Stripling.

-Yes he had a no-hitter, but he had four walks and four strikeouts, and only threw strikes on 58 of 100 pitches. Not as if he was mowing Giants hitters down left and right.

-It was the first start of his major league career - he's not an "experienced vet" like Kershaw or Price or Greinke or whomever.

-He's never thrown 100 innings in a season, so there's no history of durability there either.

-He's two years removed from Tommy John surgery.

-100 pitches was also a career-high at *any* level since being drafted. Last year, he only topped 90 once.

-If you don't trust your bullpen to get five outs and protect a two-run lead, your bullpen is dogshit and you're not going to win a damn thing anyway.

Oh right - it's the internet. Logic doesn't apply.

I'm with you, I don't see the need to get heated at Roberts. Protecting a kid's arm after the TJ is far more important than the no-no. 73 innings pitched over the last two years. 

I was reading today that Stripling was on a 100 pitch limit set by the front office. Roberts was acting on his boss' orders. Stripling was apparently unaware of any hard count he was on.

As to your last point about the pen, I've been watching the Dodger pen falter and blow leads and wash away good outings from the rotation now for the last four years. That will once again be the downfall of this club if they don't start putting together some good work on a consistent basis.

8 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Sometimes you look down, and bingo! Ball in your glove! Outstanding.

A few years back, when I still had two knees, I played slow pitch softball (which is also how I destroyed my knee). One night, every one of our pitchers was sick or hurt. So they come looking for me. "Tabe, can you give it a go?" Never pitched in softball before. I say sure, I'll try it. No clue what I'm doing. Very first pitch, the guy hits  a rocket straight at my head. Caught it somehow. Could easily have been really, really ugly. Everything after was gravy :)

Yeah, we won and I had four hits :)

• Like 1