DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

This site acts weird on my phone.  It'll quote posts I'm not replying to.  And it wouldn't let me delete the quote that got blanked out.  The new board software is like thirty steps backward.

12 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln is expected to step down today. For a summation of the feelings of Mariners fans about this we go now to Kermit The Frog:

And in addition - Nintendo is planning on selling its majority shares of the team to the other members of the ownership group

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

This site acts weird on my phone.  It'll quote posts I'm not replying to.  And it wouldn't let me delete the quote that got blanked out.  The new board software is like thirty steps backward.

Happens to me sometimes. I'll either quote something or type something up that I don't end up posting, but it's still there. You've gotta hold the "___ hours ago ______ said" text, which should highlight it for deletion. 

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And in addition - Nintendo is planning on selling its majority shares of the team to the other members of the ownership group

Yay! No more absentee japanese ownership!

MIA sweeps a 4 game set from the Dodgers, handing Maeda his first loss tonight. Giancarlo continues to murder baseballs as only he can. Maeda handled him pretty well, K'd him once and kept him off base in all three ABs Stanton had. Stanton got a shot at Pedro Baez and made up for the first three by torching a ball over the wall in RCF. 

As if LAD getting swept by Donnie and the boys wasn't enough, right after the game it gets announced that Dee Gordon came up hot for 2 PEDs, testoterone and clostebol. That one hurts my feelings, as I truly love everything that he brought to the game, what a fun ballplayer to watch. Damn shame that his breakout year last year will now forever be questioned.

And of course, all over Twitter the jokes start in about Bonds being the link to Dee's hot test. MIA had to know it was going to happen if one of their guys came up dirty.

Edited by grilledcheese

The Cubs were 5-14 at the time of the rant.

They end today at 17-5 with a +79 run differential and in nine games they've held opposing teams to one run or less, four of those games being shutouts.

Additional crazy stats...Anthony Rizzo either walks or he hits a home run. It's crazy. .404 wOBA. Soler and Heyward have been silent at the plate. Other guys like Szczur have been heroes.

This is a fun season.

I've been reading some baseball history lately, and I was wondering why the curse isn't named after Johnny Evers. Read about the Merkle incident, and how that poor guy was tarred for the rest of his career, based on Evers essentially being a dick. The apparent game winning hit wasn't run out by Merkel yes(though it was common practice at the time), but Evers didn't make the tag out with the game ball, or ever really, but the ump bought his bullshit, and the fate of that game brought the Cubs to the World Series. That's a WAY simplified version of events, and yes the Giants choked and lost many other potential clinchers, but that was in 1908, and the Cubs haven't won since. . . 

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

I've been reading some baseball history lately, and I was wondering why the curse isn't named after Johnny Evers. Read about the Merkle incident, and how that poor guy was tarred for the rest of his career, based on Evers essentially being a dick. The apparent game winning hit wasn't run out by Merkel yes(though it was common practice at the time), but Evers didn't make the tag out with the game ball, or ever really, but the ump bought his bullshit, and the fate of that game brought the Cubs to the World Series. That's a WAY simplified version of events, and yes the Giants choked and lost many other potential clinchers, but that was in 1908, and the Cubs haven't won since. . . 

The ruling at the time by the umpires was that the play was overturned because Giants' coach Joe McGinnity stole the game ball away from a Cubs player and threw it into the crowd. 

Also, the Giants didn't choke. They went like 25-8 down the stretch while playing 40 games in 29 days. 

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I highly recommend the book Crazy '08, by Cait Murphy, it follows the whole season and pretty much makes the case for it being the best season of baseball ever. The AL race was tight as well, with the Tigers winning by half a game over Cleveland and 1 and a half over the White Sox. The Pirates only finished a game out of the NL too.

• Like 1