DVDVR Message Board

[TV] APRIL 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

6 hours ago, peterien said:

Finally getting around to Halt and Catch Fire again. Lee Pace is an amazing actor.

Love that show. Can't wait for the new season. 

• Like 1

I just finished the second season not that long ago. My biggest complaint is all the marital strife. I really hate that trope in TV dramas. It would be far more interesting to watch a couple fight against that shit if only because you rarely see that now. It did setup some interesting situations for season 3, but I'm hoping they don't continue the trend of Gordon, Donna and Cameron do something innovative, Joe fucks it all up and complicates things, Gordon and Donna are at loggerheads, Cameron starts to lose her shit, everyone wins.

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

Love that show. Can't wait for the new season. 

Just finished s1- great season overall thought it wobbled a bit near the end but still a great show. Lee Pace is fantastic and gives an acting masterclass in the episode where hurricane hits (Ep 6?).

Was Gordon digging the hole in the backyard ever mentioned again? And what about Joe destroying the shipment?

Anyway started S2 ep1 and Joe is all settled and stuff? What the hell...

EDIT: BOZ IS BACK MOTHERFUCKERS

Decided to start watching "Oz" last night with the wife. Heard so many things about it over the years, and the first episode definitely has our interest. It's so very 90's in it's presentation and editing, but this will be on our nightly viewing schedule for the next several weeks as we make our way through the series.

17 hours ago, peterien said:

Just finished s1- great season overall thought it wobbled a bit near the end but still a great show. Lee Pace is fantastic and gives an acting masterclass in the episode where hurricane hits (Ep 6?).

Was Gordon digging the hole in the backyard ever mentioned again? And what about Joe destroying the shipment?

Anyway started S2 ep1 and Joe is all settled and stuff? What the hell...

EDIT: BOZ IS BACK MOTHERFUCKERS

Yes, the hole digging and the torched shipment both get covered.

• Like 1

My lord Season 2 of The Unbreakable Kimy Schmidt... its just brilliant, especailly after they introduce Andrea! Tina Fey plays a magnificent drunk! Its already greenlit for series 3 but I'm not sure how it can be topped after this

James

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

If you like the show, you have to listen to Louis CK on Marc Maron's WTF podcast talking about creation and making of the show. Awesome stuff.

That's where I got turned into the show. I hadn't heard of it at all until that WTF, and I bought the whole season. I'm halfway into ep 3 and I'm blown away. Alan Alda is unreal in this.

25 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Should I be watching 12 Monkeys?  I've heard good things about it and am debating picking up the season 1 DVD set.

Yes, first season was great and the 2nd just started. I stumbled onto it halfway through the 1st season and caught up in a weekend binge. It's a very addicting show.

I just finished Horace and Pete. I'm sobbing as I write this. Without exaggeration, it truly is one of the finest pieces of work I've ever seen in the TV show medium. And it's going to be a game changer as far as what constitutes a "TV show", given that it's online only. Louis CK is submitting it to be eligible for the Emmys and while I myself think that awards and award shows mean jack shit, if this doesn't at least sweep the acting categories,( that is if it's accepted as "TV"), then the awards will truly mean nothing.Alan Alda, Steve Buscemi, Edie Falco, Jessica Lange, Louis, and even Kurt Metzger, Nick DiPaulo, and Stephen Wright are just amazing. Horace and Pete is a god damned accomplishment in what the medium can be. Louis CK has created, with an amazing cast, something that needs to be seen and is in my opinion, essential viewing. It's fucking tremendous. 

And I'm loving these clickbait headlines about how he "had to self cancel it." and that it "bankrupted" him. Not true. First of all, if you've watched it you'd know that there wasn't going to be another season. It's a ten episode play with a definitive ending. And he spent a lot of money on it, that's true. But he owns it outright and will be able to eventually make money on it via Netflix , Hulu, or whatever. He's not in debt to anyone.

All that shit aside, I can't recommend or praise this enough. It's only 31 bucks to own it outright. Do it. You won't regret it. 

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I will have to set alarm clocks like the guy in the Oculus horror short to remind myself when it is time to eat.

I don't expect these episodes to be nearly as subversive as the originals, but they should be fun to watch.

On April 23, 2016 at 11:03 AM, MonteCarl said:

Decided to start watching "Oz" last night with the wife. Heard so many things about it over the years, and the first episode definitely has our interest. It's so very 90's in it's presentation and editing, but this will be on our nightly viewing schedule for the next several weeks as we make our way through the series.

Solid choice. I was an early teen when it was on, and probably shouldn't have watching that type of content, as well as the fact that I should've been asleep for school. But, that was and still is one of my favorite shows. So, so good. Hope you enjoy it. 

On April 26, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Curt McGirt said:

You know what's really good? The New Girl.

There, I said it. 

I never gave/give it a chance when it was/is on during primetime. Luckily TBS is awesome now (and airs a lot of my favorite shows, not BBT), so I've been catching up on it. Pretty good. Zooey being easy on the eyes also helps. 

• Like 1

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 0:31 PM, EVA said:

Yes, actually.  As bad as the ratings have gotten on Friday, 1) it's owned by Fox, which is always a big factor in renewals, 2) Friday shows tend to have a lower ratings threshold, and 3) Fox will already have more hours than usual to fill next year with the departure of American Idol, and it's actually more cost-effective to renew a show than start a new one.  It has some things going in its favor.

On the other hand, fan outrcy against Beharie's removal has been so strong, it's highly likely they'll lose a significant portion of whatever audience they have left.

Variety said today that Sleepy Hollow was likely to return for another season.  Why.....?

Is there any story to Beharie leaving the show?  I'm assuming she either wanted out and the producers let her out of her contract, or else they needed to shed her salary to have any hope of bringing the show back next season.  Anything more to it than that?