DVDVR Message Board

[TV] APRIL 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

59 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Haven't watched last night's ep yet, but I don't mind spoilers.  What happened?

Spoiler

Lizzie "died" due to complications of childbirth.  Red and everyone else acted like it was genuine, and her ex husband/doctor is the one who called it, but I don't believe for a second she's actually dead.

Spoiler

Yeah, it seems a little hard to believe that will stick.  They started teasing an appearance by Liz's mother just last week.

Guessing they needed a way to write Megan Boone out a bit early for maternity leave

So, I'm watching Naked and Afraid right now, because I actually like this show. Here's a question I've been wondering for some time. Is casting able to find one guy who isn't overtly misogynistic? Christ, it's like every episode. 

15 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

So, I'm watching Naked and Afraid right now, because I actually like this show. Here's a question I've been wondering for some time. Is casting able to find one guy who isn't overtly misogynistic? Christ, it's like every episode. 

If the people actually got along, there wouldn't be much of a show.

There have been episodes where it's been harmonious. It's just that a majority of them seem to be filled with jerkoffs who disregard anything their female partners offer opinion on. Yeah, conflict helps ratings or whatever. But the overall aspect of trying to survive for three weeks in an environment with nothing but one thing you're allowed to bring, is enough of a draw.

At least, that's what I believe. I'm still going to watch the show, because the survival aspect intrigues me. I just think the show could use some better companions. 

I saw the first two seasons when ABC re-aired them in the summer (2013 & '14.  First run broadcast was on Canadian TV).  Didn't do much for me.  I haven't seen any of season 3 aside from a couple minutes of the second episode of the season.

Not for me, but my impression is that if you like season 3, you'll probably like the first two seasons.  Only thing I really didn't like about season 2 was the overheated subplot with the female lead and her new boss (they used to be in a relationship, are covering up a secret, etc.) 

Well that season ender for Vinyl was something. This show can fluctuate from being terrible to being actual good television from episode to episode. It needs to stop with the random actors playing rock stars stuff though. I mean this week we got The Ramones in the crowd of the Nasty Bits debut. Honestly, I think the guy that has impressed me the most on this is Ray Romano. He's still playing the shlubby guy he was in sitcom world but he has a bit more of a backbone to him.

James

13 hours ago, J.H. said:

Well that season ender for Vinyl was something. This show can fluctuate from being terrible to being actual good television from episode to episode. It needs to stop with the random actors playing rock stars stuff though. I mean this week we got The Ramones in the crowd of the Nasty Bits debut. Honestly, I think the guy that has impressed me the most on this is Ray Romano. He's still playing the shlubby guy he was in sitcom world but he has a bit more of a backbone to him.

James

I've liked Romano quite a bit in his serious roles,  He was very good in Men of a Certain Age.

Romano's almost been a revelation in this how. Like his character Zack is trying to be the grounded guy in a pure world of excess but its impossible for him to do it because Richie is this fuckin albtross around his neck and so when Zack starts falling down the well of excess he just gets himself in more trouble and you know he'll never climb back out.

James.

The Night Manager is great.

Spoiler

Although for all the talk of Hiddleston as Bond in the wake of it (because of his drink order in the final episode, which I'm sure was ADR'ed after the fact), he's doesn't look quite macho enough for the part. Like there's a bit where he's being fitted for a suit, and his thighs are the same size as my biceps, and I'm not really a super jacked guy or anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The Night Manager is great.

Reveal hidden contents

Although for all the talk of Hiddleston as Bond in the wake of it (because of his drink order in the final episode, which I'm sure was ADR'ed after the fact), he's doesn't look quite macho enough for the part. Like there's a bit where he's being fitted for a suit, and his thighs are the same size as my biceps, and I'm not really a super jacked guy or anything.

What AxB said.  Watch this fucking miniseries.

Not a spoiler: Of the 6 episodes, the first one is probably the weakest.

Spoiler

Some people weren't quite able to figure out what was going on in episode 2, and some people found the ending a bit too... convenient. But the build of tension throughout the series is incredible, and the interplay between the actors is just fantastic.

Random coincidental fact: Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddlestone and Tom Hollander (the short guy in Roper's entourage) all went to the same school. Not at the same time, though. Age gap. When it was on telly (over here) Laurie said he tried to buy the movie rights to the book when it came out because he wanted to play Pine, but it didn't happen, so he was really happy to eventually get to play Roper instead.

Don't know if anybody else still watches Castle but its been announced Kate Beckett won't be back if the show is renewed for next season.

Fillion is supposedly negotiating for another season which I can't really blame him for wanting to milk this as long as he can. As my avatar shows, I'm a total Fillion fanboy but to me the show is already like 2 seasons past its expiration date.

I'm curious with what they do since they already played the separation card (albeit fake) and kidnappings and amnesia and the tone of the show is completely shot if they kill her. 

Part of me thinks the GREATEST DETECTIVES thing from earlier this season with Summer Glau was a shadow rebooting. 

10 hours ago, pipGofern said:

Don't know if anybody else still watches Castle but its been announced Kate Beckett won't be back if the show is renewed for next season.

Fillion is supposedly negotiating for another season which I can't really blame him for wanting to milk this as long as he can. As my avatar shows, I'm a total Fillion fanboy but to me the show is already like 2 seasons past its expiration date.

I still watch, but I've definitely been ready for it to end for a good season or two now. I honestly hope it doesn't get another season.