DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] APRIL 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah, there's a big jump in what's too scary for a near four year old and a five and a half year old. I'm sure it'd be too scary for my nephew when he was your kids age. What's cool is that he's seen the cartoon a lot, he's watched nature documentaries with us, and over the last month we've been reading him stories from the actual  book.

On 4/14/2016 at 8:52 PM, piranesi said:

If nothing else it is instantly my favorite Nicole Kidman movie.

I wish I could say that about the movie I'm watching right now, Queen of the Desert.  This is a crushing disappointment: it's written and directed by Werner Herzog, but it shows absolutely none of his personality.  His first fictional movie since 2009's brilliant My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done has turned out to be the most anonymous, dreary, generic piece of Hollywood boilerplate imaginable.  Like, remember when you saw Benjamin Button and you were all like "how the hell did David Fincher make THAT sappy bullshit"?  Same deal here.  I've spent what feels like the past nine hours watching Kidman and James Franco simper at each other, like they're both half of a manic dream pixie which has been stretched out to form two sullen brooding misanthropes.  They're the sort of pretentious "intellectuals" who flirt by exchanging shallow anecdotes about exotic foreign practices.  And all of this is scored with an intrusive soundtrack which is so blatantly thieving from the music for Lawrence of Arabia that it feels downright insulting.  What the HELL, Werner?!  I expect more out of the artist who is possibly the world's greatest living filmmaker.  This run-of-the-mill pablum is making the mediocrity of Rescue Dawn feel like the obsessive genius Fitzcarraldo in comparison.  

22 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Yeah, there's a big jump in what's too scary for a near four year old and a five and a half year old. I'm sure it'd be too scary for my nephew when he was your kids age. What's cool is that he's seen the cartoon a lot, he's watched nature documentaries with us, and over the last month we've been reading him stories from the actual  book.

She's seen the movie a few times, but we're big on grabbing songs on youtube, so she knows Bear Necessities pretty well. 

Barbershop was tremendous.   There is a lot of Afro-centric politics in it and it is a movie that is not afraid to wear its heart on its sleeve, so be warned.

For all of the guys ogling Nikki Minaj, my eye was drawn to the cuteness and super long braids of Margot Bingham.

Ice Cube the Family Man and Pillar of the Community will warm your heart.

Possession by Andrzej Zulawski is on TCM right now. I suggest you turn it on right now if you're reading this. 

EDIT: The part where the French guy busts out the karate moves starting with the MONGOLIAN CHOP~! on Sam Neill is quite the moment of comic relief in a movie that is 90% people screaming at each other and freaking out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So a year late - I finally watch Mad Max: Fury Road

So now my one of bigger regrets in life is that I didn't see it in the theater

You got the Free HBO / Cinemax this weekend eh?  AND I FUCKING TOLD YOU IT WAS GOOD~!

Actually - I had the Blu Ray from the library

My library is hooking me up as I currently have sitting at home:

Jurassic World

Kingsman

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Spy

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Tomorrowland 

100 Foot Journey (which I'm probably the only person who wants to see it)

Oh and Netflix just Ant Man so my wife and I can be caught up before Civil War next week

That's part of the reason it takes me forever to watch stuff - there are very limited windows when I have safe harbour

Like if my wife isn't into a movie and she is in the living room of our apartment - it makes it tough for me to watch certain movies.

Thankfully she had wanted to see Fury Road and liked it (though there was one scene she was very displeased with)

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That's part of the reason it takes me forever to watch stuff - there are very limited windows when I have safe harbour

Like if my wife isn't into a movie and she is in the living room of our apartment - it makes it tough for me to watch certain movies.

Thankfully she had wanted to see Fury Road and liked it (though there was one scene she was very displeased with)

Yeah, Fury Road is an excellent movie but excellent <> easy to watch.  There were a number of scenes that really didn't sit well with me.

On 4/23/2016 at 11:33 AM, The Z said:

How did I just find out about this movie now?

A masked wrestler turned preacher turned masked vigilante? Roddy Piper in a supporting role?

I need so this yesterday.

This shit look like Nacho Libre crossed with Walking Tall directed by Kirk Cameron...

SPY was fun.

I kinda enjoy mock-Spy movies (like Get Smart is fucking awesome). It had far too many people I am a mark for to dislike (Statham, Baccarin, Byrne, Janney)

What was everyone's problem with it? Was it just that I missed the memo on we must hate all Melissa McCarthy/Paul Feig things?