DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] APRIL 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I am amused that nothing major was released today.

Yes one could argue the whole SvB thing but I more like they idea that no one wants to be associated with Aprils Fools

Well except Mike Epps apparently

Watched TRAINWRECKED and to the surprise of no one - it isn't very good

Best part is Cena and Lebron.

In fact - my biggest takeaway is that I wanna see Cena and Lebron as a couple

My wife likes the move, so I've seen it a few times.  It's like most Apatow movies to me, a good beginning with some laughs, but goes on far too long and has a dumb pat ending that wraps up everything in a cheesy bow.

Cena does really steal the show, though.  I don't watch much of the rassling anymore but I'm surprised that Vince let one of his big babyface draws play a barely closeted dude and basically show his junk.

The movie theater scene was by far the best thing in the movie

"You wanna take it to the parking lot? Fine! If you can't find me I'll be the closest one on Grindr." nearly made me spit out my drink

Sat through Allegiant for the sake of my daughter who seemed to enjoy it.   I am a wonderful father. 

In case you follow the novels and the plot of this movie confuses you.

Spoiler

The writers apparently separated the Memory Serum and Purity War plots into two movies.  "Allegiant Part 1" (this movie) carried the Memory Serum plot to fruition and sets up a showdown between Tris and the Bureau. 

Apparently Allegiant Part 2 is now entitled Ascendant and I guess that movie will encapsulate the pivotal Purity War storylne where Tris finally defeats David and the Bureau at the cost of her life.

I'm guessing that the clifhanger ending provides some sense of closure for the franchise if Ascendant isn't greenlit... which may be a wise decision given the thumping this movie is taking at the box office.

I saw Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice over the weekend and it's safely the worst movie I've ever seen. I paid money to see Watchmen at the theater and that had a more coherent plot, story, and character motivations.

If you don't like Batman or Superman in this movie and you're rooting for Lex Luthor because his motivation seems the most sympathetic until near the end, there's something wrong with the movie.

My sister and I just watched Dead 7, the newest SyFy original film. For those who don't know, it was a story by Nick Carter (of Backstreet Boys fame) and features other BSB members along with N'Sync, 98 Degrees and O-Town members as they take on a zombie plague. It was about as bad as could be expected but honestly should appeal to people who like to have a few drinks and watch bad movies. For those who are interested, Time Warner Cable has it on demand.

Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD was on telly tonight. It's really good. I've only watched the first 30 minutes so far though. I know a lad called Slaine who was named after that Barbarian from the Comic.

I watched Empire Records for the first time when I was 35*. I thought it was terrible.If I'd seen it when it was new (it came out when I was 20) I'd probably have liked it. Also, the happy ending doesn't stand up to history. How many of the cool independent record shops you used to go to in the 90s are still in business?

* EDIT: Actually it was more recently than that, I was probably over 39 already.

Hardcore Henry has dropped from 73% Fresh to 53% Fresh.  This makes me sad.

The Boss comes in at 18% which probably means it will make millions of dollars this weekend.

Most actors are afraid of becoming irrelevant or going broke if they aren't constantly working. It's just people like Daniel Day Lewis who fuck off for years at a time that keep their bad movie averages down. 

More actors should be like Jason Statham. Work constantly, make loads of shitty movies, but make the shitty movies good by being awesome.

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Most actors are afraid of becoming irrelevant or going broke if they aren't constantly working. It's just people like Daniel Day Lewis who fuck off for years at a time that keep their bad movie averages down. 

Exactly.  Just  take a look at how many terrible movies Sam Jackson, Michael Caine, and Meryl Streep have done...