DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

19 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Is there an era in WWE where Rusev's act doesn't inevitably lead to him being fed to someone or having his balls cut off? Would he have fared better in 70s or 80s JCP? 

Probably not. It's all about what the company wants to do at any given time. If they gave Rusev the Brock treatment he would still be a world beater. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Probably not. It's all about what the company wants to do at any given time. If they gave Rusev the Brock treatment he would still be a world beater. 

What's weird about Rusev is he's a very versatile worker and is very impressive for someone who is still relatively green as far as I'm aware. He's probably in my top 5 or 10 guys in WWE that interest me at the moment. I'm a shameless mark for him. I'd keep him booked quite strongly as a heel. Thanks to WWE booking though, and some of that is just saturation due to the amount of content WWE forces itself to put out monthly, he will require probably 6 months - a year to rebuild into some kind of epic monster. His initial build up until the Cena feud was absolutely tremendous. 

• Like 1

I was watching the new Table For 3 episode with Flair, Arn, and Tully and Arn said something interesting. He said that he thinks a lot of injuries are caused because the wrestlers of today have too many days off, and their bodies never quite "toughen up"-- he said they're never truly in ring shape, in his opinion. I was really surprised by this given the way his career ended, but Arn certainly knows a hell of a lot more about wrestling than anyone here.

19 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was watching the new Table For 3 episode with Flair, Arn, and Tully and Arn said something interesting. He said that he thinks a lot of injuries are caused because the wrestlers of today have too many days off, and their bodies never quite "toughen up"-- he said they're never truly in ring shape, in his opinion. I was really surprised by this given the way his career ended, but Arn certainly knows a hell of a lot more about wrestling than anyone here.

Arn Anderson is probably my favorite wrestler ever, but I am not sure science would agree with him. If people wrestled more like him and less like Daniel Bryan, there would be far less injuries and much longer careers. 

• Like 3

I saw that, and while I have all the respect in the world for Arn (and everyone at that table), I think that was an old-timer talking about how much tougher they were back in the old days and two other old-timers agreeing with him. I don't know a fraction of what Arn's forgotten about wrestling, but I cannot believe that wrestling seven days a week keeps you "in ring shape" better than working five.

I think the difference between wrestling now and 40 years ago is that it's a crapton more high-impact now. If wrestlers today try to spend as much time working holds as they did back then, they'd get "boring" chants, or crowds sitting on their hands.

• Like 4

Rusev in 80s JCP gets Uncle Ivan as his mentor and gets fed to Dusty or the Roadies, but only after squash matches vs. Sam Houston and Lazor Tron that would still get talked about to this day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cristobal said:

I saw that, and while I have all the respect in the world for Arn (and everyone at that table), I think that was an old-timer talking about how much tougher they were back in the old days and two other old-timers agreeing with him. I don't know a fraction of what Arn's forgotten about wrestling, but I cannot believe that wrestling seven days a week keeps you "in ring shape" better than working five.

I think the difference between wrestling now and 40 years ago is that it's a crapton more high-impact now. If wrestlers today try to spend as much time working holds as they did back then, they'd get "boring" chants, or crowds sitting on their hands.

I think there's an element of truth... but I also think the injuries also comes from the fact that few in the current product don't know how to tell a story anymore, go 100 mph in a match and using high risk spots to get over, spend all their time in the gym getting the sexy body which leads to over training injuries. 

This sounds awful, but I think one reason they were able to do what they did back in their heyday is the amount of drugs they were taking. Taking pain medications will be a constant in wrestling and I don't know what else they do today, but I think its safe to assume they don't abuse illegal drugs like they did in the 80s. And it is a bit ironic coming from Arn, who I also like, but retired early due to an injury. Although the high spots/style of wrestling is also obviously a huge factor, I am just not convinced if you take away all their drugs if in the 80s they could have wrestled every day either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Especially if you did Hair vs. Hair.

Oh my God. Could you imagine the riot's if in the build to the cage match with Rusev vs. Magnum, they knockout Magnum and cut off some of his hair or even worse...shave off his stache. I can just hear David Crockett losing his shit right now.

Basically Rusev and Lana need to be Tully and Babydoll for today. The guy was gonna give a Maserati to anyone who could slam him that one random night. Tell me that's not a Tully move.

• Like 2

Happy heel couples in wrestling is such a weird trope. I get that babyfaces are supposed to be single so women want to fuck them and there's an idea that most male wrestling fans would be jealous of a wrestler who gets laid, but it's funny that all these heels are portrayed as having loving relationships. It's not like the Savage/Liz dynamic where a good girl is with a psycho. I mean, the whole dynamic is basically "boo these smug people in love."

Well it lends that little bit of legitimacy to a gimmick that is predicated on Miz being this huge star in that while he isn't actually a Hollywood celebrity, he DOES have a hot wife, and said wife would like you to know that you aren't good enough for her.

Man I hope this hasn't been covered already here.  Having a bad run at that

April 28 (Reuters) - A man wearing a white panda suit who allegedly made a bomb threat at Fox Television's Baltimore affiliate on Thursday was shot and wounded by police outside the building, authorities said.

Three Baltimore police officers opened fire on the man as he emerged from WBFF and ignored police orders to take his hands out of his pockets, police spokesman T.J. Smith told a news conference. The suspect was in serious but stable condition at a hospital.

Smith said the man had "displayed something that appeared to be wires and some other things inside his jacket that appeared to be some kind of explosive device." The device turned out to be composed of harmless materials, including chocolate candy bars wrapped in tin foil, he said.

WBFF reported on its website that the suspect, described by police as a 25-year-old man from Howard County, Maryland, broke into the station demanding that it cover a story about an unspecified government conspiracy. The station said the suspect made a bomb threat during the incident.

WBFF, which is owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group, said a bomb robot scanned the man for nearly an hour before officers removed his clothing, picked him up and carried him to an armored police vehicle.

We knew it was bad at TNA  but talk about a horrible way to get investors.

34 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Man I hope this hasn't been covered already here.  Having a bad run at that

We knew it was bad at TNA  but talk about a horrible way to get investors.

Why oh why couldn't it have been Dixie or JJ in the panda suit?