DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Flair's issues started long before his 11th failed marriage or Reid's death.  His issue is he stopped being himself a long time ago and completely became the character "Ric Flair."  I'd say that's the root of every other problem he has ever had in his life since then, as hard or cruel as that sounds.

• Like 8

The interwebs is saying that the WWE released Rich Brennan

Not really surprising considering that he lost the NXT and Smackdown gigs and they already had like 3 other people doing backstage interviews 

Like it or not,everyone on some level plays a character in our every day lives, be it with our bosses, our parents, our husbands/wives, whoever. It just turns out that being Ric Flair is just a lot more rad than nurse or insurance adjuster or secretary or whatever. Is it a little bit sad? Maybe. I guess. I dunno. Fuck you. Woo.

EDIT: don't drink on weeknights you guys

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Come on this is Ric Flair we're talking about. Even at 67 and being up all night and being on the tail end of a bender in Boston this was not drunk Ric Flair.

Okay on the serious side, Flair probably needs some serious therapy. between Reid, his failed marriages, and probably the biggest thing in his life the fact that he was sold as a baby (he says he doesn't care who his birth family is). The guy has some serious issues.

So he's a perfect fit for the screwed up world of wrestling.

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Flair's issues started long before his 11th failed marriage or Reid's death.  His issue is he stopped being himself a long time ago and completely became the character "Ric Flair."  I'd say that's the root of every other problem he has ever had in his life since then, as hard or cruel as that sounds.

Once you fill your house with giant nude photos of yourself, it's just possible that you're heading down the wrong road...

• Like 1

Bret Hart is off his rocker again: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/4gubc7/bret_hart_ive_never_seen_any_real_genius_from/

I wish Bret would just shut up and go away. HHH doesn't think Hogan is the greatest wrestler in the world FFS. Also, HHH may care about his own body, but he's responsible for bringing in the same people whose names Bret doesn't even remember that make NXT great.

Yeah, HHH is such a body guy that it only makes sense that he's a huge fan of Samoa Joe and Kevin Owens...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The interwebs is saying that the WWE released Rich Brennan

Not really surprising considering that he lost the NXT and Smackdown gigs and they already had like 3 other people doing backstage interviews 

There are consequences for interrupting Becky Lynch,while she's eating salad. 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2016 at 9:57 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Like it or not,everyone on some level plays a character in our every day lives, be it with our bosses, our parents, our husbands/wives, whoever. It just turns out that being Ric Flair is just a lot more rad than nurse or insurance adjuster or secretary or whatever. Is it a little bit sad? Maybe. I guess. I dunno. Fuck you. Woo.

This is my favorite post.  We can yap about how Ric should stop partying or how he is "lost in the character" or how he should be embarrassed or whatever, but Ric Flair is not embarrassed.  He is Ric fucking Flair and his life has been one hell of a run.  WOOO.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jrag said:

This is my favorite post.  We can yap about how Ric should stop partying or how he doesn't know how to turn the character off or how he should be embarrassed or whatever, but Ric Flair is not embarrassed.  He is Ric fucking Flair and his life has been one of hell of a run.  WOOO.

I'm kind of in this boat. Dude is 67 years old and partying it up. Who gives a rip? Should he be sitting at home and enjoying his legacy or whatever? Maybe but apparently that's not who he is and apparently not what makes him happy. It reminds me of when my aunts got mad at me for buying my 83 year old grandmother a few cartons of cigs for her bday. She's been smoking like a goddamn chimney since she was 7, she's not changing now so might as well just let her do what makes her happy and not give her any grief.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Bret Hart is off his rocker again: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/4gubc7/bret_hart_ive_never_seen_any_real_genius_from/

I wish Bret would just shut up and go away. HHH doesn't think Hogan is the greatest wrestler in the world FFS. Also, HHH may care about his own body, but he's responsible for bringing in the same people whose names Bret doesn't even remember that make NXT great.

Yeah, HHH is such a body guy that it only makes sense that he's a huge fan of Samoa Joe and Kevin Owens...

Bret's also wrong about Mania being a "wrestling show." Mania has always been a spectacle show. If you got a couple of great matches out of it, that was a bonus. It's also why a lot of recent Manias have been largely forgettable as of late. It's more focused on random moments in hopes of achieving that spectacle.

Plus, HHH's admittedly always been a fan of ring work to a degree, but he just had a frame that it benefited him by being a body building guy, plus he's always idolized Arnold. I would venture to guess that most males HHH's age all idolized Arnold.

it seems like he’s quick to push the great wrestling to the side and push the bodies, guys who have [good] physiques, all the time. They wonder why CM Punk quit and they wonder why Daniel Bryan got hurt. It’s because they squeeze so much out of those guys.” Hart said, “I’m just calling it the way it is. Triple H is a former bodybuilder. He’s all about bodies. He thought that Hulk Hogan was the greatest wrestler in the world. They think Ultimate Warrior was the greatest wrestler in the world because that’s what they’re attracted to, but he’s not really a wrestling fan like I grew up.

Wow, seriously?  Sentence 2 (they ran Punk & Bryan ragged) directly contradicts sentence 1 (they don't push non-bodybuilders).  I legitimately can't understand how the second sentence ties to any of the rest of Bret's "points."

Triple H, by all accounts, is a huge wrestling fan from childhood.  If Wikipedia is to be believed, he started watching when he was 5 and only started working out because he wanted to look like a wrestler.  There's no way a guy who was pushing WWE to obtain the "Wrestling at the Chase" footage thought Hogan and Warrior were the best ever.  Shit, he couldn't stand Warrior.  Yeah, HHH only likes muscle guys.  Fuuuuuck.  Owens and Joe were already mentioned here.  Look at the rest of NXT.  Look at the Cruiserweight Tournament, whose crown jewel is an tiny tiny English kid.  HHH is nowhere near the size queen that Vince and Dunn are.

I don’t know how the promoter’s kid gets that kind of qualification to main event

I can't even.

Guys, remember when we thought of Bret as "the normal one" in that crazyass family?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Wow, seriously?  Sentence 2 (they ran Punk & Bryan ragged) directly contradicts sentence 1 (they don't push non-bodybuilders).  I legitimately can't understand how the second sentence ties to any of the rest of Bret's "points."

Triple H, by all accounts, is a huge wrestling fan from childhood.  If Wikipedia is to be believed, he started watching when he was 5 and only started working out because he wanted to look like a wrestler.  There's no way a guy who was pushing WWE to obtain the "Wrestling at the Chase" footage thought Hogan and Warrior were the best ever.  Shit, he couldn't stand Warrior.  Yeah, HHH only likes muscle guys.  Fuuuuuck.  Owens and Joe were already mentioned here.  Look at the rest of NXT.  Look at the Cruiserweight Tournament, whose crown jewel is an tiny tiny English kid.  HHH is nowhere near the size queen that Vince and Dunn are.

I can't even.

Guys, remember when we thought of Bret as "the normal one" in that crazyass family?

He still is. It's just a sliding scale. Compared to Smith, Bruce, and Ellie he's Neil Degrasse Tyson.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Manny Andrade is a tiny, tiny English kid?

19 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Is there an era in WWE where Rusev's act doesn't inevitably lead to him being fed to someone or having his balls cut off? Would he have fared better in 70s or 80s JCP? 

Probably not. It's all about what the company wants to do at any given time. If they gave Rusev the Brock treatment he would still be a world beater. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Probably not. It's all about what the company wants to do at any given time. If they gave Rusev the Brock treatment he would still be a world beater. 

What's weird about Rusev is he's a very versatile worker and is very impressive for someone who is still relatively green as far as I'm aware. He's probably in my top 5 or 10 guys in WWE that interest me at the moment. I'm a shameless mark for him. I'd keep him booked quite strongly as a heel. Thanks to WWE booking though, and some of that is just saturation due to the amount of content WWE forces itself to put out monthly, he will require probably 6 months - a year to rebuild into some kind of epic monster. His initial build up until the Cena feud was absolutely tremendous. 

• Like 1