DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I just wanted to say that wrestlers aren't any worse at promos interviews today than they were in the 70's and 80's. It's just now the promo's are too long to be good. I can think of a bunch of wrestlers who could do a good 1 minute interview, but I can't think of any who I'd want to see talk for 10 minutes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

No matter how much WWE tells you that RAW is the longest running weekly episodic dramatic hour-long blah blah blah, it can't really be compared to anything else on TV. It's a traveling circus that has its own dictionary of completely made-up carny terms and phrases. There's almost nothing about it that should be compared to say, Two And A Half Men or some other sitcom.

I could go the easy route and make a crack about Vince, Charlie Sheen, and coke; but I'm not gonna do that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

April 1, 2016 is going to go down as one of the best days in wrestling history

18 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Colt Cabana returned to ROH last night and challenged Jay Lethal for the ROH World Title. 

Man, I wish these two posts were related.

18 hours ago, rzombie1988 said:

I just wanted to say that wrestlers aren't any worse at promos interviews today than they were in the 70's and 80's. It's just now the promo's are too long to be good. I can think of a bunch of wrestlers who could do a good 1 minute interview, but I can't think of any who I'd want to see talk for 10 minutes.

This. Most of the best promos of all-time top out at around 4 or 5 minutes. Dusty's Hard Times promo is like three and a half minutes long. CM Punk's pipebomb was about 5 minutes. The Austin 3:16 promo is barely 2 minutes.

On 4/2/2016 at 11:22 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

CfAaYH3UAAAAUJW.jpg

"No Salt, No mist! No even a gong in his ring music!Hell he isn't even doing a math problem! How the hell are they supposed to know he's Asian dammit!"

WWE tweeted out congrats to Edge and Beth Phoenix who are expecting their 2nd child

I guess the morning of Mania is a slow news day....

Worst spot in wrestling?

My vote is the "guy lays unconscious on outside for 9.5 then miraculously sprints Bolt-style in to ring to beat 10 count" spot.

ADR's finisher a close 2nd.

10 minutes ago, Peck said:

Worst spot in wrestling?

My vote is the "guy lays unconscious on outside for 9.5 then miraculously sprints Bolt-style in to ring to beat 10 count" spot.

ADR's finisher a close 2nd.

Guy lays on the ground, other guy goes to the top rope and leaps off, guy on the ground sticks his foot up in the air and leaping guy goes right into his outstretched foot.

One guy german suplexes his opponent, opponent gets his shoulder up and the other guy doesn't. I hate that finish.

• Like 2

cwoy2j literally just posted the first two spots I thought of...

I also used to hate when a ref would disallow the hot tag because he didn't see it, but meanwhile the heels are tagging in and out behind his back and he never has a problem with it. 

• Like 1

When the face in peril, during a tag match, is making that sloooooooooow crawl to tag his partner and then eventually gets the burst of energy to tag him before the opponent can manage to grab him.

Another during tag matches, when the face partner, who hasn't been tagged, jumps in the ring and starts arguing with the referee, allowing the heels to double team and beat the hell out of his partner, thanks to his distraction.