DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

6 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I was always a big fan of the Jimmy Garvin/Precious pairing whether he was a heel or face. As a heel, he kind of had that Miz thing going where he called himself Gorgeous when he clearly wasn't but he had a hot (for the 80's anyway) wife that you couldn't have. As a face, he was the loving husband fending off sleazeballs like Flair who insulted his wife.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'll say it again, first pro wrestling show I ever went to was at the Cincinnati Gardens. I wanted to see Garvin beat up Flair and take the World title.

And now I'm nostalgic for the days of promos cut for specific house shows, the ones that aired during commercial breaks on the Saturday Morning shows.

• Like 3

This is the first time in a long time that I can think of when wrestlers appeared on multiple shows for different feds in the same week.  Gallows/Anderson were all over WWE programming this week, but were also on this week's edition of ROH TV taking on the Briscoes from February in Japan.  Kinda surreal.

5 hours ago, zev said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'll say it again, first pro wrestling show I ever went to was at the Cincinnati Gardens. I wanted to see Garvin beat up Flair and take the World title.

And now I'm nostalgic for the days of promos cut for specific house shows, the ones that aired during commercial breaks on the Saturday Morning shows.

I can shed some light on the Sunshine press conference insinuations. It wasn't as sleazy as you think...

"The tapes" refer to Garvin's entrance to World Class, his gimmick was initially where he would come to ringside during other matches and would tape them with a home movie camera. He also initially refused to wrestle on TV because he did not want his opponents to have the same advantage he did: able to study and find weaknesses.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He's a great heel and judging by your post he's doing a fine job.

Based off his backstage actions and what other people say about him I don't think he's trying to work you. There's a difference between being a mental case and being a heel. Acting like mental case doesn't make you a heel. It makes you the boogeyman. It's not an anger inducing reaction. It's just sad. The fact that you try to combine the two as if they were the same thing says a lot more about you than it does about me.

19 hours ago, CrazyMax46 said:

Okay DVDVR. Real talk. What the fuck is wrong with Austin Aries? He comes off more like a F4W board poster than a star. Between his attitude, opinions no one asked for and his Twitter meltdowns the guys a mess in more ways I can count, and I can pretty much count to infinity.

If a celebrity (in this case, Austin Aries) can't go on Twitter and bitch about stupid shit and give opinions no one asked for (which is the purpose of Twitter...), what's the point in anyone having that social media platform? It's the very essence of what Twitter is used for. To give opinions no one asked for and to have meltdowns. I don't see why a wrestler saying lasik eye surgery is a PED annoys you so much, personally. As for how he is backstage... okay, I guess. I haven't read anything negative, but I don't really read the dirtsheets. Even if it's true, though - who cares? Like there aren't 15 or more talents in the entire WWE that aren't assholes in private? Come on.

Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a weird thing to complain about.

I am very unmotivated to go, but I walked by a poster for a lucha show at the 2300 (nee ECW) Arena tomorrow 5/1. It seems to feature lotsa psuedo-stars which could be festive, but to get a $25 ticket and stroll to ringside seat seems too much doing for my one day off this week. I suck.

2965.jpeg?fit=400%2C533

- RAF

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic