DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

18 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm still shocked that ROH hasn't tried to monetize their own tape library either on their website or via another Sinclair syndicated show, featuring a half hour or hour of classic matches with guys that later became stars in WWE.

For a month now, my local Sinclair channel that shows new ROH episodes keeps insisting, according to the on-screen guide, that they're showing older episodes. Example: when they showed Castle vs. Young Fight Without Honor, the guide said that it was Tyler Black's last ROH appearance.

The thing that amuses me the most about TNA is there have been numerous offers from company's that probably know what they are doing that want to buy the majority stake because they do see something. And with all of TNA's faults there is still something there. But Dixie being the stubborn woman that she is refuses to sell because she wants to maintain majority control of the company.

In the end when the company eventually does fold, I think a old fashioned merger probably happened. But the book of Dixie will be a separate volume of The Death of TNA book series all to itself.

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Am I the only one that feels WWE shouldn't be running shows in a place like the United Arab Emirates?

Yes. I did find it a little amusing and sad that they put out a press release of some sort earlier that they've broken new ground by having Alicia Foxx as the MC for the shows. Still can't have the women wrestle though.

Well, according to members of Reddit, there's nothing wrong with WWE doing business with UAE and we just have to deal with the fact that the country openly oppresses the women (and Darren Young) from doing their chosen profession. Or maybe it's because I drew a correlation from Sharia Law to their culture as a response to why they might have these laws in place. But, y'know, I'm just a dumb mark or something.

Jeeeesus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

HHH just announced on Twitter that he's wrestling on four of the European tour shots, so it looks like Wyatt's injury is serious enough to take him off the tour, assuming it'll be Reigns v. HHH.

Twitter is saying he is facing Dean Ambrose

So I'm going to see Bret this week in Newcastle and I'll be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about meeting him. When I was 10 years old there probably wasn't a bigger idol in the world for me, so this is gonna be a pretty huge deal and I hope he's not having a shitty day and acts like dick. 

5 hours ago, zev said:

For a month now, my local Sinclair channel that shows new ROH episodes keeps insisting, according to the on-screen guide, that they're showing older episodes. Example: when they showed Castle vs. Young Fight Without Honor, the guide said that it was Tyler Black's last ROH appearance.

That's actually been happening for a few years now. When I lived in Pittsburgh in 2013 it was common to see ROH program guide descriptions still using the old HDNet graphics and wrestlers.

8 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

So I'm going to see Bret this week in Newcastle and I'll be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about meeting him. When I was 10 years old there probably wasn't a bigger idol in the world for me, so this is gonna be a pretty huge deal and I hope he's not having a shitty day and acts like dick. 

I met him a few years ago and he was the nicest, quietest dude. It wasn't at a wrestling event or con or anything either, so he really had no reason to put up a front. Just, you know, don't be a dick or weirdo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

Lucky. I'm still pissed that I didn't get to have him give me his glasses. 

I was at a house show in the Spectrum a few days after Survivor Series '95. Ringside seats, awesome stuff for a kid. Time keeper was right in front of me and I actually got to hold each champions belt once their matches got started. Anyways, Bret's coming our way for the glasses bit, our way becomes my way. Last second, this jerkoff father strong arm's nine year old PetrolCB out of the way and his jerk ass kid gets them. 

I did get to high five him as he made the rounds after beating 'Taker. I guess that makes up for it. 

• Like 3

I met Bret when I was a little ass boy, probably 6 months after Montreal, and he didn't say much, probably because he knew I was the most nervous p[erson who ever lived and becaus he knew 20 years later I'd really really wish I knew where I could get the rad ass WCW Worldwide Crew shirt he had on

• Like 1

On 14/04/2016 at 10:51 PM, CrazyMax46 said:

NXT's biggest problem is that it serves two purposes, developmental and touring. It's hard to do one. Let alone both at the same time. My honest opinion is that Smackdown and NXT should be combined into a new show, called "NXT" Give NXT the Thursday time slot on USA and just go with it.

Ugh. I beg you (well, not you personally obviously, but you in a broader sense) not to make NXT a 2 hour show. For a start, what's good about NXT is that it gives some raw talent a chance to find themselves, in the ring & as a character, while still being on TV. Also, it's handled entirely differently to the main show. Stories are kept simple & straight forward, it's a very smartly produced TV show (with the caveat that I'm about 1 year behind in my NXT viewing but trying to catch up gradually. And mostly, I've yet to see an argument against 1 hour being the ideal length for a fun wrestling TV show. There's very little filler, the times they do go for more than an hour (Takeover specials) are the sort of things that work best as a pay off to a few months of TV.

Obviously with their touring operation their is still somewhere for guys to learn their ring craft, but there is a reason that there is an NXT show on the Network, & it's not just that it's convenient programming for them.

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Lucky. I'm still pissed that I didn't get to have him give me his glasses. 

I was at a house show in the Spectrum a few days after Survivor Series '95. Ringside seats, awesome stuff for a kid. Time keeper was right in front of me and I actually got to hold each champions belt once their matches got started. Anyways, Bret's coming our way for the glasses bit, our way becomes my way. Last second, this jerkoff father strong arm's nine year old PetrolCB out of the way and his jerk ass kid gets them. 

I did get to high five him as he made the rounds after beating 'Taker. I guess that makes up for it. 

Jerkoff father to you; best fucking dad ever to me. I still sometimes smile at the memory and thank him for doing that.

• Like 9