DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm aware of the actual spoiler and, as I said in the LU thread, that group is one that I trust in terms of "interesting" booking decisions.

Though it's probably more a matter of my acceptance that this rasslin stuff just isn't for me nowadays and I'm okay with that.

I finally saw Ricochet/Ospreay, ZSJ/Ospreay, and Naito/Okada, and somehow, I enjoyed Naito/Okada the most. Maybe because I did not expect anything like the finish that I got on that last one. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It was both.  It was a double tables match and Terminator X was teaming with Chuck, filling in for Flavor Flav who was in jail again.  Things were looking pretty grim for our boys until the S1Ws did a run-in. 

Bill Goldberg defeated Professor Griff in a grudge match on the undercard.

N...N...W...W...A...A...

West coast invasion!

Man, a wrestling promotion consisting of rappers would be the coolest thing ever.

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, that's what happens when you pull a desperation angle out of your ass, pile on nonsensical stips in a sad attempt to heat it up more, then run it in a vacuum.  You end up just pretending it didn't happen once it's done.

I'm still trying to understand the following:

Why did Shane agree to a match in the first place?  He already had blackmail material on Vince so what leverage did Vince have on him to make him work the match?  That makes zero sense.

There was some sort of intimation in Shane's return promo that he was still in power and was above Triple H and Steph, but that was quickly forgotten about.  WTF?

Why did Undertaker fight for Vince? 

Why, if the company was on the line, did everybody else in the company treat this storyline like it wasn't happening?

Why did the match not have 8-12 run-ins like everybody thought it would?

We would get answers if WWE's booking decisions didn't come from a Magic 8 Ball. 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Depending on which one you're talking about, said spoiler is actually fake.

I'm laughing at the true one, not the fake one. 

45 minutes ago, DMN said:

N...N...W...W...A...A...

West coast invasion!

Man, a wrestling promotion consisting of rappers would be the coolest thing ever.

Someone has clearly forgotten Master P and the No Limits Soldiers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I just watched the ABC 20/20 piece on pro wrestling, from 1985. Being just a young kid at the time, I don't really remember how wrestling fans reacted to it. But was it pretty much the moment that killed "kayfabe" for everyone? I don't know how fans could argue with anything in the video, especially the demonstration on how to blade,although I'm sure there were lots of folks trying to explain things away. 

The big problem with kayfabe killing pieces is that in the older days of wrestling- it was always seen as "every 10 or so years, some news story would leak that pro wrestling may not entirely be on the up and up", but everyone politely forgot that story (and just assumed "yeah, wrestling's fake", but decided to pay it no mind.)

Really, if any one moment killed kayfabe, it was when Vince McMahon admitted under oath wrestling was predetermined, as that was the one news story where no one ever decided to ignore that wrestling was predetermined afterwards.

Got to meet Jerry Lawler at Emerald City Comic Con this past weekend. He was there promoting a comic called "Headlocked" that he does the covers for. He was really cool and told a funny story before his panel started to the 30 or so people that were there at the time about how Vince absolutely hates it when people lean into the microphone at the hall of fame ceremony. 

Kane portraying a cop [in the new WWE film] makes it so much closer to my dream of him being cast as Bull in the WWE reboot of Wrestler's Night Court. 

Of course, Charles Robinson gets to replace Charles Robinson, as Mac. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Kane portraying a cop [in the new WWE film] makes it so much closer to my dream of him being cast as Bull in the WWE reboot of Wrestler's Night Court. 

Of course, Charles Robinson gets to replace Charles Robinson, as Mac. 

Cena going against type as Dan Fielding FTW. 

• Like 6

I don't think Hacksaw would work as Judge Stone, simply because the amount of prostitution cases covered in a typical season of Night Court would lead to lazy writers relying on "Hoooo" jokes.

Would Trish Stratus work as Ms. Sullivan?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Oh Shane...You've been up to no good...

https://twitter.com/mookieghana/status/719721007079112704

I think they've said the suit is only for about $18,000, which is nothing to someone worth as much as Shane. It's being put forth by a single shareholder. I don't know much about this type of stuff, but it doesn't seem like this will really make waves. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something crucial.

1 hour ago, JRGoldman said:

I think they've said the suit is only for about $18,000, which is nothing to someone worth as much as Shane. It's being put forth by a single shareholder. I don't know much about this type of stuff, but it doesn't seem like this will really make waves. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something crucial.

It's not. It alleges that he bought and sold shares profitably within 6 months, which as an insider (Shane is Vice Chairman of the company's board) you can't do. If he did do that, he has to return the profit (estimated at $18K) and probably pay the legal fees of the court cost (probably chump change for Shane.) That said, the dates it gives are January 2014 and May 2015, though, so if that's not a typo, I think the plaintiff screwed up.

46 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Trish Stratus ain't no Markey Post (hey, instant DEAN points!). I pick Layla. 

Did it suddenly become 2008 without me looking?   Christine Sullivan is Nattie.  This really is not up for debate.

• Like 3