DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I thought the reports came out after we all knew Wade Barrett wasn't going to renew and "they" said that somebody else's contract also was coming up and that person was the one "the IWC woudn't be sad to see go"

2 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Brie, maybe, crossing up the news of her retirement?  Isn't her deal up soon as well?

I don't think so since the Bellas signed 5 year deals when they came back and that was 2013

Why is it that, regardless of level of ability, most women wrestlers cannot run the ropes without looking awkward? Do you think it's just down to being shorter than most of the roster (and thus not the right height for the ropes) but not short enough to do the Rey Misterio "bounce of the second rope" approach?

I think it's probably body mass even more than height. I know multiple wrestlers have said that hitting the ropes isn't nearly as easy as they make it look. And even a guy like Mysterio, as small as he is to other male wrestlers, he outweighs Sasha Banks by 60 lbs.  It may just be too hard to get a good looking bounce off the ropes when you're 125 or under.

9 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

I think it's probably body mass even more than height. I know multiple wrestlers have said that hitting the ropes isn't nearly as they make it look. And even a guy like Mysterio, as small as he is to other male wrestlers, he outweighs Sasha Banks by 60 lbs.  It may just be too hard to get a good looking bounce off the ropes when you're 125 or under.

I'd agree with this - your mind is expecting the ropes to "give" a bit when they run into them and it looks wrong when they don't - the ropes don't give much when you don't have a lot of body weight to put into it to begin with. 

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Remember the reports weeks ago about how some guy's contract was coming up and they weren't planning on renewing it and it would be somebody a lot of the IWC "wouldn't be sad to go"? What ever happened with that? Anything?

I'm wondering if perhaps Ryback's contract is up soon, especially with him being pushed to the pre-pre-Mania show and losing to Kalisto in the match. He hasn't done much of anything the last few months.

According to falconarrow on reddit, it was Brie.

24 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Is FalconArrow Jimmy Jacobs? He loved referencing Owens throwing the cup against a wall.

Everyone else was referencing it and he was familiar with the video and the reference.

Jericho learned from Punk. If you wanna collect on a favor Vince owes you, make sure it's something he doesn't give a shit about. Beating some short southern guy with funny hair at Mania? Yeah, he'll do that. It's just not going to be the main event.

8 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

The crowd's contract is not being renewed, everything is going to studio shows

They're just gonna yell WE DON'T WANNA HEAR IT whenever Roman speaks. Nothing changes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I think it's probably body mass even more than height. I know multiple wrestlers have said that hitting the ropes isn't nearly as easy as they make it look. And even a guy like Mysterio, as small as he is to other male wrestlers, he outweighs Sasha Banks by 60 lbs.  It may just be too hard to get a good looking bounce off the ropes when you're 125 or under.

In addition to mass, it seems like it could also conceivably be a matter of physiology as well. 

If most of the impact from hitting the ropes is focused on the side of your body anyway, and most of wrestling is built on the concept of making the flattest surfaces to mix with the flattest parts of the body to minimize the injury...then it would stand to reason that male torsos, which tend to be a flatter line with anywhere from your waist up to your shoulder to hit the ropes on, are FAR more built to hit the ropes properly than a female torso (which are a more curved line than a man would be.)