DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The video of Triple H, Cody and Dustin Rhodes unveiling the new Dusty Rhodes statue yesterday (which I am having trouble embedding at the moment) pretty much encapsulates everything I hate about WWE right now.

Nothing to do with Dusty, but it just strikes me as so ridiculous that we are supposed to view Triple H as this super evil boss on one hand, and on the other hand he's at Axxess getting his name chanted while he unveils a memorial statue for a Hall of Famer. It's just so stupid that we are supposed to pretend these two things exist in alternate universes.

Kayfabe being dead has really, really hurt the business.

I have more of a problem with a memorial statue that looks nothing like the person it's supposed to represent. 

Besides, if I feel nostalgic for kayfabe, I can just go watch the Carlos Colon/Stan Hansen in PR cage match Jae posted or the Abismo Negro making women cry and faint thing Tromataker posted

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yup - legit forgot that today was the start of a new month

So much hatred for this day

So no jokes today? DEAN did submit his GWE ballot like you said on twitter right? That did happen?

That is what I was told.

I have to assume his formatting is infuriatingly wrong

I realized that working on mine is the perfect way to stay awake before Takeover

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

That is what I was told.

I have to assume his formatting is infuriatingly wrong

I realized that working on mine is the perfect way to stay awake before Takeover

Oh man I hope his original spelling will be preserved.

4 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

The video of Triple H, Cody and Dustin Rhodes unveiling the new Dusty Rhodes statue yesterday (which I am having trouble embedding at the moment) pretty much encapsulates everything I hate about WWE right now.

Nothing to do with Dusty, but it just strikes me as so ridiculous that we are supposed to view Triple H as this super evil boss on one hand, and on the other hand he's at Axxess getting his name chanted while he unveils a memorial statue for a Hall of Famer. It's just so stupid that we are supposed to pretend these two things exist in alternate universes.

I think that we can all accept that Paul Levesque is a man playing the character of "Triple H." It's not ridiculous at all. Do you also hate it when your favorite TV villain appears out of character? It's the same thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

I think that we can all accept that Paul Levesque is a man playing the character of "Triple H." It's not ridiculous at all. Do you also hate it when your favorite TV villain appears out of character? It's the same thing.

That might be sports entertainment, but that ain't wrestling (let alone rasslin'). I don't want to admire someone for playing a role (that's what the aforementioned TV actors are for), I want to see a bigger than life wrestler that lives the gimmick, who can suspend the crowd's disbelief enough to make children cry, women scream, and men get furious. I don't want to admire only his (or her) cleverness or ability in the ring but also his character. I don't want to respect his craft, I want him/her to get my emotions all riled up and bring me to the brink of believing. Peeking behind the curtain makes this harder. The wrestlers being complicit in the unmasking, especially with a crafty winkwinknudgenudge, makes it nearly impossible. Yeah yeah, the good old days, whatever BUT it wasn't always the same thing and I still seek out the instances when it isn't.

they are out there,

RAF

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheeReverendAxlFuture said:

That might be sports entertainment, but that ain't wrestling (let alone rasslin'). I don't want to admire someone for playing a role (that's what the aforementioned TV actors are for), I want to see a bigger than life wrestler that lives the gimmick, who can suspend the crowd's disbelief enough to make children cry, women scream, and men get furious. I don't want to admire only his (or her) cleverness or ability in the ring but also his character. I don't want to respect his craft, I want him/her to get my emotions all riled up and bring me to the brink of believing. Peeking behind the curtain makes this harder. The wrestlers being complicit in the unmasking, especially with a crafty winkwinknudgenudge, makes it nearly impossible. Yeah yeah, the good old days, whatever BUT it wasn't always the same thing and I still seek out the instances when it isn't.

they are out there,

RAF

A good actor can evoke all of the emotions that you described. Ever seen someone cry during a movie? It happens. People watch entertainment to escape reality and immerse themselves into a fantasy world. 

I like wrestling and have all of my life but I also acknowledge that it's scripted television and I admire the talent that it takes to pull it off successfully. 

5 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

This pic renders all of your complaints irrelevant

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Nature Boy said:

A good actor can evoke all of the emotions that you described. Ever seen someone cry during a movie? It happens. People watch entertainment to escape reality and immerse themselves into a fantasy world. 

I like wrestling and have all of my life but I also acknowledge that it's scripted television and I admire the talent that it takes to pull it off successfully. 

People also cry at sports events, as well as express other emotions. There are more differences between acting/movies/TV and pro wrestling than there are similarities, although they are closer these days than in the past. Traditionally, wrestling is more about emotions than intellectual involvement. In the Venn diagram, where thespianism and rassling overlap is entertainment, but the rest is different. However, this is a meaty topic worth debating...

- RAF

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

wake me up when pro wrestlers sports entertainers become good actors.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Or Roddy Piper for the awesomeness of They Live.

If only they'd booked it so that Reigns is fighting HHH just to get him to put on those sunglasses, so he can see Vince and Steph aren't human.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

No matter how much WWE tells you that RAW is the longest running weekly episodic dramatic hour-long blah blah blah, it can't really be compared to anything else on TV. It's a traveling circus that has its own dictionary of completely made-up carny terms and phrases. There's almost nothing about it that should be compared to say, Two And A Half Men or some other sitcom.

3 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

No matter how much WWE tells you that RAW is the longest running weekly episodic dramatic hour-long blah blah blah, it can't really be compared to anything else on TV. It's a traveling circus that has its own dictionary of completely made-up carny terms and phrases. There's almost nothing about it that should be compared to say, Two And A Half Men or some other sitcom.

You could make the argument that wrestling is pretty similar to soap operas with the bad acting and all. 

And yes, there are smark equivalent boards for soap operas where they talk about who is being pushed, who is being buried, who is holding talent down.....etc. 

• Like 1