DVDVR Message Board

All-Purpose Health and Fitness Thread

Super Ape

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
21 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Did you get it checked?  I'm nursing a calf strain, and the doctor told me to not even try to run for 4-6 weeks.  There was a lot of talk about some dude named Kevin Something-or-other and how if your calf ins't strong enough your Achilles may try to compensate and your recover goes from sitting on the couch for a couple weeks to having surgery and months of rehab.  

No, I decided to RICE it for a few days and see if there was an improvement before seeing an orthopedist. Any time I get injured I always do a low weight or resistance band exercise to test the injury out before I move onto something more complex.

• 9 months later...

BRINGIN' IT BACK! (again)

So, with everything that's been going on, I've basically given up on the lifting routine I had been on. Damn shame, too, because I had really been making decent progress. But, without regular access to the weights, whaddayagonnado, am I right? I do have some adjustable dumbbells at home, but I need to find a decent routine to get on so I can make proper use of them.

I did, however, for the second time in my life spend a decent chunk of change on a piece of fitness equipment. I got a spin bike delivered and set up a week before the SHTF, and holy crap has it been awesome. I may actually be in better shape now than I was when the craziness started.

I've been working out at home 5 times a week, in addition to running about 5K two-three times a week. But the world is depressing so I got back into carbs in a big way, so I'm not losing weight, just turning into a real beefy boy.

I gained about 20 pounds in the first 6 weeks of this all just from drinking every night at home, playing video games, working 8 hours from my couch and a whole bunch of carbs.

Became a bit more aware of things after that, started doing Switch Fitness boxing and eating a tad better and dropped the 20 pounds since then.

So basically, I weigh the same just way more out of shape and more pale.  

I haven't had the desire to work out from home during this whole thing, I've mainly just been doing stretches. I don't even want to know how much weight I've put on.

Thankfully the weather has gotten nice so I've been going for long walks the last couple weeks, it is wild how weak my legs felt after 2 months of sitting around the apartment. They've given the go ahead for gyms to reopen on the 1st, even though I'm not 100% comfortable with it, I'll probably start going a couple times a week. As it gets hotter, working out at home definitely becomes a no go. I might stay away from equipment for awhile, depending on what sanitizing system they bring in, but will likely just make use of the pool and get laps in.

I've just been doing yoga and exercises with my adjustable kettlebell. I've mostly been using Jen Sinkler's Lift Weights Faster plans because they're quite modifiable based off of available equipment, which has been nice to have available. Plus getting in a full workout done within something like 30 minutes has been nice.

1 hour ago, CSC said:

I gained about 20 pounds in the first 6 weeks of this all just from drinking every night at home, playing video games, working 8 hours from my couch and a whole bunch of carbs.

Became a bit more aware of things after that, started doing Switch Fitness boxing and eating a tad better and dropped the 20 pounds since then.

Well losing 3+ lbs per week is no small feat. What’s your secret?

15 hours ago, CSC said:

How is Switch Fitness?  I got the demo some time ago and it seemed fine enough but wasn't sure how well it actually works.  I considered Ringfit Adventures but it's been pretty impossible to come by in stores.

As for me since I joined Planet Fitness they've been doing home workout sessions that you can use on their app.  It's always been there but I do try and use it a couple times a week.  Which helps to some degree though my eating/drinking habits counter that in no time.  But I'm slowly trying to not eat as much shit.  I did the trail the first couple weeks but tons of people out there freaked me out.

Yeah, it's important that your diet doesn't make the neighborhood raccoons wonder what's wrong with you.

I've always been the opposite guy: the skinny one who can't gain unless I go super-hard at the gym.  But, the home workouts (I usually cobble something together from the Athlean X Youtube channel) plus some FitnessBlender cardio are enough that I've kept on ~20-25 pounds, so I'm 185-190 instead of 165-170.  Since I'm 6'2", it means I look like I have a neck for once.  Downside: none of my fucking pants fit anymore because so much of the weight is thigh muscle.  There goes $$$ on some new stuff from Gap...

9 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

How is Switch Fitness?  I got the demo some time ago and it seemed fine enough but wasn't sure how well it actually works.  I considered Ringfit Adventures but it's been pretty impossible to come by in stores.

As for me since I joined Planet Fitness they've been doing home workout sessions that you can use on their app.  It's always been there but I do try and use it a couple times a week.  Which helps to some degree though my eating/drinking habits counter that in no time.  But I'm slowly trying to not eat as much shit.  I did the trail the first couple weeks but tons of people out there freaked me out.

I like it.  I live in a very small apartment with no room for fitness equipment, so as a no-equipment, in my living room workout it's really good.  

The demo 15 minute workouts were fine but once you go up into the 30+ minute range I find it's some really good cardio and judging from my areas of soreness is pretty good for the arms and core.  

I really wanted Ringfit Adventure as well, but have settled on this until it becomes available again.  

22 hours ago, Control said:

Well losing 3+ lbs per week is no small feat. What’s your secret?

I lost most of the weight the first couple weeks and most of it was just an improvement in diet and cutting down on drinking. 

• Like 1

I'm about to get Fitness Boxing. Thanks for the review, I know some folks who say it kicks their ass on the reg.

I also got some five-pound dumbbells from Dollar General to make sure I'm not neglecting strength training. Anyone have some decent beginner-friendly routines I can do 3x a week with them?

41 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

I'm about to get Fitness Boxing. Thanks for the review, I know some folks who say it kicks their ass on the reg.

I also got some five-pound dumbbells from Dollar General to make sure I'm not neglecting strength training. Anyone have some decent beginner-friendly routines I can do 3x a week with them?

I don't know if there's a way to create a free Planet Fitness account.  But if so then their app has a bunch of beginner routines for strength and dumbbells.  It definitely gets the job done.

As for Fitness Boxing I'm going to get a game that comes out Friday (Clubhouse Games) so I'd rather spend $90 in one week for both.  Maybe I'll get Boxing next week.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:39 PM, Stefanie the Human said:

I've just been doing yoga and exercises with my adjustable kettlebell. I've mostly been using Jen Sinkler's Lift Weights Faster plans because they're quite modifiable based off of available equipment, which has been nice to have available. Plus getting in a full workout done within something like 30 minutes has been nice.

What kind of kettlebell stuff are you doing? I just bought a 30-pound kettlebell from Bionic Body (it’s padded and covered in leather) and I’m afraid to get started with full-on swings, but I don’t know if I’ll be ready to do much after only working with 5-pound dumbbells, and strength training equipment isn’t exactly easy to find these days.

11 hours ago, Super Ape said:

What kind of kettlebell stuff are you doing? I just bought a 30-pound kettlebell from Bionic Body (it’s padded and covered in leather) and I’m afraid to get started with full-on swings, but I don’t know if I’ll be ready to do much after only working with 5-pound dumbbells, and strength training equipment isn’t exactly easy to find these days.

Hand to hand swings, two-handed swings, various squats, bent over rows, windmills, that sort of stuff.

Swings take some getting used to. I do a lot of Jen Sinkler exercise programs, and she has a lot of good instruction videos. Here's her video on kettlebell swings that might help out: https://www.liftweightsfaster.com/lwf-member/exercise-video-library/kettlebell-swing/

12 hours ago, Super Ape said:

My advice for anyone who wants to train with a kettlebell is to start here.  It is basically a series of tutorials on how to safely use a kettlebell.  You slam your wrist with a kettlebell once, and you'll never want to do it again.  These videos will help you not do that.

Just got notice that my 30-lb padded KB (for $65) is on its way and should be here Thursday... the same day I see an adjustable KB (18-22-26-35 pound settings) is available for $150 and suddenly I'm wondering if I should have waited for the adjustable one. Motherfucker.

Day 3 of intermittent fasting. I'm doing the 16/8 schedule. Last two days I ate not the best foods, but I didn't eat at night. This worked for me once before because when I start my work day I have such little time to go and eat. The problem was that I would just over snack on anything and everything in that morning time. With this, I just try to stay disciplined until noon and start eating then.

Also, up until yesterday, I was managing to hit nearly 10k steps a day from walking or doing yard work. Yesterday I took a break from that and today may be the same.

30lb KB came in, and I can do deadlifts and swings to a degree, but presses are right out because my upper body is pathetic. I'd ordered a 15 pounder for such an occasion, but now I'm wondering if I should send the 30 back and just use the 15 moving forward. I'm just trying to implement strength stuff while I use Fitness Boxing (and Ring Fit Adventure, eventually) for cardio. Any suggestions?

Found some more ways to train forearms. The outsides are now so ripped, I'm beginning to resemble a cyborg.

• Haha 1

Time to bite the bullet and accept that the 30 pound kettlebell is too much for me. Luckily, I saw this coming and ordered a 15-pounder from the same company (because I like the design). I’ll be returning the 30 next week.

On the bright side, I managed to get an order in to Best Buy for Ring Fit Adventure! Also, Five Below finally re-opened, which is great because finding hand weights was a goddamn NIGHTMARE once the pandemic started. Two 10-pound dumbbells and a 15-pound KB will give me a good foundation for strength work while I game my ass off.

I was reading that as 30 kilos and thinking fair enough. But 30 lbs isn't that heavy. I'd hang on to it. If you take strength training seriously, it won't take too long to develop to the point that the fifteen pounder would be too light to use as a main weight (you still could use it for the harder lifts, or for warm up and cooldown stuff).

Yeah, agree.  I'm having a hard time believing you can't, for example, do 30 lbs with both arms when the exercise calls for that.  But, enough time with the lighter weight, and you will definitely get there, unless you're dealing with joint damage or something (or, ganglion cysts in your wrists, like I have, but those are easy to work around by skipping snatch/jerk motions and standard push-ups).

My shoulders pop every time I move them on their own, and my upper body is pure shit. Also, that 30 pounder was $65 I can use for any other stuff. At least with the 15-pounder I’ll be able to do presses and (maybe? My coordination is terrible) swings.

Plus my gut gets in the way of stuff like swings.

I got both KBs from Amazon, and I like the company that makes them, so I can always order another 30 when the time comes. I’m not trying so much for strength for its own sake as I am overall fitness (if I was serious about strength I’d have a barbell at home).

Edited by Super Ape

On 6/13/2020 at 8:28 PM, Super Ape said:

My shoulders pop every time I move them on their own, and my upper body is pure shit. Also, that 30 pounder was $65 I can use for any other stuff. At least with the 15-pounder I’ll be able to do presses and (maybe? My coordination is terrible) swings.

Plus my gut gets in the way of stuff like swings.

I got both KBs from Amazon, and I like the company that makes them, so I can always order another 30 when the time comes. I’m not trying so much for strength for its own sake as I am overall fitness (if I was serious about strength I’d have a barbell at home).

Have you tried using resistance loops/bands? I’ve found them incredibly helpful for strengthening my shoulders, and surprisingly effective in general. Plus they’re cheap because they’re just glorified rubber bands.