DVDVR Message Board

All-Purpose Health and Fitness Thread

Super Ape

I back on the healthy living bandwagon. I haven't started working out yet since I'm waiting to get over sugar and carb withdrawal. Also, for the first time ever, I'm using the TDEE calculator. Using that, I should be taking in just under 2000 calories a day, while My Fitness Pal says it should be 1300 or 1400. I dropped 5 lbs. over the course of a week. I do feel like crap from depriving myself of candy, Cheez Its, etc. every night. It'll be nice once my dopamine adjusts itself so I stop feeling crummy.

When I start working out, I'm doing P90 that came out in 2014, which is the newer version of Power 90. On top of that, I'm going to mix in DDP Yoga and start doing C25K when I can actually start running outside.

When I first started losing weight in early 2008 (first time in my life I ever decided to legit diet and change my life as I had gotten morbidly obese in part because I loved snacking at night before bed), it took me a solid two weeks before I wasn't craving/going through withdrawals of not having junkfood by my bed at night. Always sounds crazy when I compare it to drug withdrawal but it can totally be an addiction. Obviously the effects aren't as severe as actual narcotic use but that doesn't mean it's an easy habit to break.

Really been binging on junk food in recent years, to the point where I sink a ton of money in my job's vending machines (curse you, debit card scanners).  It's a tough habit to break but I need to give it a shot...I don't own a scale so I have no idea where my weight is at nowadays.  What's a good first step in breaking this cycle?

Maybe start bringing food from home? Perhaps if you know you've brought food to eat, you'll be less inclined to buy stuff from the vending machine. Despite my aforementioned eating struggles, I've actually never had to deal with this as I generally haven't worked at places with vending machines nearby, so I can't speak from personal experience. I know when it comes to food in general at work if I bring a sandwich or something from home, it prevents me from going out and getting a chicken bacon ranch slice of pizza and a huge pepperoni roll for lunch.

Motherfucker. I somehow lost no weight at my weigh in this morning. In fact, I may have gained. Ugh.

If you are working hard enough, you'll gain muscle which weighs more than fat.  I started working out, and after a couple of months I had only lost about 10 lbs., but all my clothes fit differently and I looked much better with my shirt off.  Keep pushing, weight isn't necessarily a indication of progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Motherfucker. I somehow lost no weight at my weigh in this morning. In fact, I may have gained. Ugh.

If you are working hard enough, you'll gain muscle which weighs more than fat.  I started working out, and after a couple of months I had only lost about 10 lbs., but all my clothes fit differently and I looked much better with my shirt off.  Keep pushing, weight isn't necessarily a indication of progress.

The following week I dropped 5 lbs. This last week wasn't too good. I think what happened initially was that my scale gave a wonky reading so I probably didn't lose as much as I first thought. I haven't been working out because turns out, I've had mono. Last week was the worst of it, but I probably had mono the two weeks prior. The feeling like crap and 3 weeks of headaches were from the mono. Last week I ate nothing but soup and crackers, until I felt good enough on Saturday to eat pizza, so this week I'm back to eating right.

I'm also following the Always Hungry book. That guy's plan reads like a modified South Beach, except you're allowed to have fruit the first two weeks. I started today with a protein shake with frozen blueberries in it. Pretty tasty.

I'm drinking a kale shake for breakfast with frozen blueberries, a gala apple, some almond milk, a scoop of protein powder and a clove of garlic.

I wish I didn't add the clove of garlic. That's what I get for trying out something Joe Rogan adds to his shakes.

I'm drinking a kale shake for breakfast with frozen blueberries, a gala apple, some almond milk, a scoop of protein powder and a clove of garlic.

I wish I didn't add the clove of garlic. That's what I get for trying out something Joe Rogan adds to his shakes.

Shit man, leave the garlic out and take it as a supplement later in the day. Life is too short to smell like Joe Rogan.

Yeah, they've been pretty good without the garlic. I've experimented with adding celery and other stuff and I'm liking it. There is a certain, legit energy I get from them. Not coffee, caffeine energy, but like if I got a B vitamin shot type of energy. And they're filling.

Nice! That's awesome. I just want to get back down to 220 at this point and then focus on getting down to my lowest weight of 195. Through the events leading up the divorce (nearly my entire marriage) and the divorce itself, I ballooned up to 250 and developed a nasty binge eating addiction. I'm trying to cut that all out now to be around as long as possible for my daughter. Seeing things like people losing that much weight, like you, really inspires me.

• 1 month later...

Barnwells awesome weight loss article seems like a good way to re-kick off this thread for the new year.

https://medium.com/@billbarnwell/the-easiest-way-to-lose-125-pounds-is-to-gain-175-pounds-b4fca27ffcc5#.q6uhhfva1

I enjoy that he's writing long form articles about the "eat less, exercise more" strategy that he used to preach to me forever ago.

I just need a place to brag, guys.  I've lost 20 pounds since January 5.  That column really helped a lot so big thanks to you, CSC, for posting it.  It really made me question, and improve, my relationship with food.  The part where Barnwell talks about eating like shit because you've "already blown it" (ie "well, I already fucked up by having some pizza so I might as well just eat like shit the rest of the day") really hit home.  Another issue with me was feeling like I was somehow "missing out" if I skipped an opportunity to have a treat (like if someone brought donuts to work today, I'd better not miss the chance to have one!).  Both really are addict behavior.  But anyway, thanks, man.  I'm  happy with my progress so far.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I am trying every trick in the book, so I wonder if stating it publicly will help keep myself accountable. Let's try it!

Just to give some backstory, three years ago I weighed 260 pounds. Two of my cousins a little older than I was at the time and similar sizes had heart attacks (minor, both are fine), which scared me a bit and I started working on losing weight. I got down to 193 in the next year. The year following that, I basically maintained, hovering around 195. Then in the last eight months, due to a number of factors I have ballooned back up to 237. While I am still not near my old 'high' it still is too high as ideally I'd like to be in the 175 range (I have a pretty wide base so that just seems like a healthy range for me).

So October 1st seemed like as good a time as any, after getting the right food this weekend starting Monday I'll go back to doing what worked before. I have grown to hate salads, I don't know why but since that is how I lost the weight the first time I have to find a new trick as I found that if I do something I hate, it just won't stick. Oddly, I now like broccoli (why are my tastes changing at the age of 33) and I love chicken breast, so I've stocked up and meal prepped both to set myself for the work week (I'm not that boring, I have other food too but those are the staples). I also have stuff to make healthy smoothies as while I love smoothies in the past I was too lazy to buy the ingredients, which I took care of. So many chopped up and frozen strawberries and bananas in my freezer. My goal is to hit 10K steps every day Mon-Fri, then do workout videos on weekends to give my legs a break (I dislike workout videos but twice a week is doable for me). I started the Couch to 5K on Friday (I went through the whole thing three years ago, but starting from scratch) and holding myself accountable for doing it.

The main thing for me is, and I think a lot of Americans, keeping the weight off. Since I did good for a year not gaining it back, I am also just going to be analyzing where I went wrong before. Some of the things I've already fixed - one reason I gained so much weight the last eight months is I worked at a new building, my office was across from the cafeteria and they made the best food. But I switched out of that location to a place where the cafeteria isn't even open during my shift. It was just too much temptation for me, I can resist getting unhealthy things when I go shopping (I have no chips or sweets in my house) but when I can smell the food from my desk it was too much :)

So this will work. My goal is 10 pounds a month through the end of the year, which is a realistic goal considering my weight, then re-evaluating once I get there to see if I need to ramp up my exercise or if its still going fine. Then making sure I do a bit better this time keeping it off. I hope that the others that have posted in these types of threads in the past have continued to have success, and I am open to any tasty food tips that don't require too much cooking (again I think its necessary to be realistic, I'll likely never turn into someone that takes 30 minutes to make a meal just for myself to eat).

• Like 1

Yeah now is the time for me to lose weight.  Well the time was years ago but im in my 40s now and dont want to be one of those old guys that is 300+ with floppy man boobs.  I have dropped under 260.  Stopped lifting heavy weights going more for lighter and more reps.  Staying the fuck away from the Taco Bell, Burger Joint, Pizza joint hell I fall into.  My wife has lost 66 pounds so I should use her for inspiration

• Like 1

I dropped about 50ish pounds  (down to about 210) two years ago and maintained pretty well. This summer I put about 7 pounds back on just because I stopped going to the gym. While the sun was out, I couldn't justify being in the gym when I could just get outside and do stuff. I live in a very small farm town so I made a habit of walking as much as possible. It was pretty low impact because my left knee has pretty much told me to fuck off whenever I try to actually run, so walking was my thing. I averaged about 15 miles a week and, if nothing else, it was great mentally as a stress reducer. I guess I should add that until I fucked up a wrist, I was doing 500 push ups a week. Now that the weather is about to go full Idaho again, I'll be back to the gym and a more regimented work out and those extra pounds will most likely melt away again. To the rest of my wrestling fan brethren who've decided to take better care of themselves, CHEERS! Let's go get this thing!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Near the end of 2016 and other than a brief hiccup where I got close to 185, I've been between 175-180 all year.  I just re-read Barnwell's article again and it inspired me all over again.

Oddly, the decreased weight might've helped lead to my first-ever bone injury - a rib microfracture that I suffered taking an avalanche from the 400-pound J-Sin Sullivan in September.  I just don't have the shock-absorbing cushion that I used to. :)

• Like 1

I finally got a big bucket list item off of my list (granted this will only lead to loftier goals) and ran my first half marathon down at Panama City Beach on Saturday. 

I finished in 2:20:29.3. I was pacing just under a 10 minute mile until I hit about mile 8 and had to slack off a little.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm down about fifteen pounds from November.  I've tried to lose weight before but I had no idea how much what you eat affected if you lost or not.  I eat eggs, bacon, and sausage for breakfast, salmon and usually cauliflower and brussel sprouts for lunch during the week, thin pork chops replacing the salmon on the weekends, and I make turkey wraps with baby spinach, small amounts of Greek yogurt dressing and Dijon mustard and provolone cheese.  I'm thinking of replacing the wraps with maybe apples and bananas as I don't seem to want them every night.

For exercise I've just been walking.  I started walking for about 45 minutes, then an hour, and finally up to two hours.  I've hit a slow point in December as I've only lost 3 lbs this month.  I think I need to change my exercise but I was in an accident last month and it is still occasionally sore to do normal activity.  Reading all your stories has been really inspiring as we all try to reach the strongest version of ourselves.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well as a guy that was pre-diabetic and cholesterol that was close to danger levels, I am proud to say that since July 2016 I've lost 40 lbs(still don't know how the hell that happened) and down to 225. Cranking up that shaolin workout and stop binge eating(I'm looking at you Home Run Inn pizza) I'm feeling better. The wife has started exercising also. That whole trying to live to old age thing. I have a couple questions though. Does anybody know about Paleo? And is it true that Crossfit can mess your body up?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black Angel said:

Well as a guy that was pre-diabetic and cholesterol that was close to danger levels, I am proud to say that since July 2016 I've lost 40 lbs(still don't know how the hell that happened) and down to 225. Cranking up that shaolin workout and stop binge eating(I'm looking at you Home Run Inn pizza) I'm feeling better. The wife has started exercising also. That whole trying to live to old age thing. I have a couple questions though. Does anybody know about Paleo? And is it true that Crossfit can mess your body up?

The whole Paleo thing is fine on paper, but being such a food fetishist (can eat this, can't eat that) can lead to some pretty wacky behavior. Find a way of eating that works for you. If it combines a bit of Paleo with a bit of this and a bit of that, Merry Christmas. Don't be too ready to subscribe to one theory.

Crossfit can really mess the untrained up - it's very high-repetition work, and you can easily ask too much out of your body too quick. I'd suggest trying more conventional tried-and-true gym techniques and then seeing if you have the fundamentals down and are ready for Crossfit, though I'd really suggest you avoid it altogether.

Crossfitters do multi-joint weightlifting movements (Olympic-style lifts) for high repetitions, and that's asking for trouble. What happens if you suffer from muscle failure with a weighted bar over your head? As you get tired from all the reps, your form suffers, and if your form suffers on these Olympic lifts, you run a real chance of hurting yourself. Form is everything in some of these movements.

• 1 month later...

Took almost four years, one massive spring cleaning and the specter of a potential move across town next month, but I FINALLY found the DDP yoga discs I bought at WrestleCon back in 2013. Looking forward to getting on that horse.

• Like 3

My wife, myself and our 7 year old am on the DDP Yoga train as well. As of today, I am also on my 35th day without a cigarette.

We hella like DDP Yoga, it is a motherfucker of a workout, especially considering that you aren't doing any real weight work other than what you weigh. I am trying to work my way up to getting in 5 or 6 days a week on it, but I'm only up to 3 a week so far. It's hard to get in a workout some nights, as for some reason our 1 year old seems to pick yoga time as his opportunity to freak the fuck out and be unconsolable.

I can already tell the difference since starting up on it though, what was real tough for me to do and hold well on day 1 is getting to be much more manageable 6 weeks later.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Let me say, having to take a walk of shame off of a roller coaster for not being able to lock the restraints is a pretty good wake up call that you need to get in shape.  Especially when you've just bought season passes and realize you can't even use them because you don't fit on most of the rides. 

Since then, I've gotten back on WeightWatchers, dropped 15 pounds and feel better than I have in months.  I know it's a long road, but I've done it before (and then was stupid enough to put it all back on over the course of a decade) so I'm at least optimistic for once. 

I've got a date with those damn roller coasters penciled into my calendar for the beginning of June and determined to get onto them. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, CSC said:

Let me know say, having to take a walk of shame off of a roller coaster for not being able to lock the restraints is a pretty good wake up call that you need to get in shape.  Especially when you've just bought season passes and realize you can't even use them because you don't fit on most of the rides. 

Since then, I've gotten back on WeightWatchers, dropped 15 pounds and feel better than I have in months.  I know it's a long road, but I've done it before (and then was stupid enough to put it all back on over the course of a decade) so I'm at least optimistic for once. 

I've got a date with those damn roller coasters penciled into my calendar for the beginning of June and determined to get onto them. 

Keep working man, the hardest part is starting.  Now that you're started, you just have to keep doing what you are doing to reach your goals.