DVDVR Message Board

All-Purpose Health and Fitness Thread

Super Ape

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Another tip; if you’re gonna sweat, wear a bandanna.  You can go Hulkster style (or maybe not, brother!), but I personally rock the Nick Gage style.

There was a dude here yesterday seriously leaving droplets just everywhere and it was gross as fuck.

I second that. I wear bandana most of time, even outside the gym and I'm not even hiding a skullet!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Another tip; if you’re gonna sweat, wear a bandanna.  You can go Hulkster style (or maybe not, brother!), but I personally rock the Nick Gage style.

There was a dude here yesterday seriously leaving droplets just everywhere and it was gross as fuck.

1 minute ago, Shartnado said:

I second that. I wear bandana most of time, even outside the gym and I'm not even hiding a skullet!

I'm fortunate that I don't tend to sweat...and I'm not Prince Andrew!

• Like 2

It only took a little over a month to rehydrate (let's face it, I didn't gain that much muscle, if any) from about 156-ish to back around 170-175.  Being sick is the worst and I don't recommend it.

I finally feel locked in on my barbell inclines, even if I am only doing 105 right now - I didn't top out a lot higher than that before due to shoulder pain anyway, so if I can keep better form and build up more slowly, maybe I won't break again.  Cracking a rib while setting a bench PR is the second-worst and I don't recommend it (but hey, 200 for 2x, first time ever!).

And today will be Pull day and my first day of consecutive workouts since last year.  Kept yesterday's Push day down to 4 or 5 exercises and actually got it done in 45-50 minutes.  Need to do the same again today.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

4 workouts this week, 2 leg based, two upper body based, with Wednesday off. Trapbar was pretty understated, as nothing over 574 was lifted from less than the high-ass platforms, but I did get the 662 up from a slightly lower than last time. Not from where I hoped, though. I did 3, 2, 1 and 2. I guess I'll be doing 662 every time out from now on, just trying to get the range of motion somewhere respectful. We still won't talk about the bench, but my pecs are still sore from the Thursday workout, so something is happening despite the much lower weight!

Also, @Technico Support yeah, the Nick Cage-style of bandana is way cooler, but for me that is only for the one time every year I go to a bar in the summer! Otherwise it is the Hogan-style. I think I pull it off, though, as per my avatar.

• Like 1

I tried something that I can't quite tell yet if it's good or not, or if it's genuinely sustainable once I figure out whatever is going on with my lower back and ribs.

Leg days kick everyone's ass, but I usually lead with regular squats and that seemed like a mistake.  I'm only doing 105 right now because I don't want to overload my back with whatever it is I have going on, but the movement is still so taxing that I felt like I pay for it for the rest of the workout.  So, I decided it should go last.

Did my order last time of belt squats -- sumo deads (maybe not the best choice if I was trying to feel less wiped for the whole workout) -- calves -- Nordics -- and then squats at the end.  Same weight, nearly the same reps (7 instead of 8), and everything prior to them felt less like I hated my life (well, because of the workout anyway). 

If I was doing 225 (about where I topped out prior to slacking off and then getting sick), I don't know whether I could pull off this setup, though.  I think the primary reason I can do an order of operations like this is only because the primary issue with my squats is CNS fatigue and not a legitimate need for muscle recruitment.  Of course, my core also feels embarrassingly weak, as that felt like what got the most work for all 3 sets.  So, I don't know what I'm saying with this, except I guess I'm fishing for suggestions.

Edited by Contentious C

I worked as a tv new photographer for over 15 years and it fucked my lower back up real nice. I've always had some sort of lower back issue, even on my best days, so I feel you @Contentious C.

I've started doing this before every workout:

https://squatuniversity.com/2018/06/21/the-mcgill-big-3-for-core-stability/

I feel like my core is considerably more stable and stronger on my squats and deadlifts. I've also been doing suitcase kettlebell carries and Pallof presses for additional core work in my workouts. Knock on wood, but since I've started this routine, my back has felt great.

In general, I recommend a lot of what Squat University puts out. He's got a warm-up or exercise for pretty much any body part that may be bothering you.

I had just watched a YT Short from him on this exact topic.  But I always feel like a bit of a dunce doing anything remotely similar to a warm-up, I don't know why that is.  I think it's kind of a time thing; my workouts take longer than I like, and adding stuff like this just aggravates the problem.

I typically do farmer carries on Pull day and usually feel a bit better after doing them.  Same with face pulls, for that matter.   I probably need to be doing all of these every workout.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I had just watched a YT Short from him on this exact topic.  But I always feel like a bit of a dunce doing anything remotely similar to a warm-up, I don't know why that is.  I think it's kind of a time thing; my workouts take longer than I like, and adding stuff like this just aggravates the problem.

I typically do farmer carries on Pull day and usually feel a bit better after doing them.  Same with face pulls, for that matter.   I probably need to be doing all of these every workout.

I've had a couple minor injuries from working out in the last couple years. That, combined with turning 45 this week, has made me take my warmups more seriously. Like you, I hated them, too. But the sad fact is that I really need them now. So far, it's been good for me. I feel better when I'm finished lifting.

• Like 1

Only three workouts this week, due to Easter, but the overall mood was positive. Bench started rebounding somewhat, as I slowly started to figure out what was wrong, still only a couple of sets with 253 was highest I got.

Tuesday's trapbar was once again a slight improvement with the 662, getting it up once from a better distance than last week and 3 singles from the same height as last week and then a set of 5 from the shortest distance. Before that, I also got one rep with 574 from almost floor level and one with both 618 and 640 from the "usual" platform height. There was some lighter stuff before that but nothing important.

Last two mornings we've gone out for a 30 minute jogs with my wife, which is a good warm-up for the upcoming spring/summer diet as I should start get into running once again.

I've been slacking the last couple of weeks, but I signed up for the Disney Marathon next January. It's something I've wanted to do for a few years now, so I'm excited and stressed about making sure I stay healthy and in training shape for it. 

• Like 1

After some extra rest during Easter weekend, I started the week with the trapbar. Some decent stuff with the lighter weights, with 2 reps standing on the higher platform with 379 without Versas and 4 separate singles from various levels with 478 without them as well. I got the 574 up from exactly the same level as last week, so no improvement there, but after getting 640 up from a nice distance, I put the higher platforms in place and went straight to 674. Got 2 and 1 from similar distance as the 662 last week, so I decided to ante up. Got 3 with 684 using rest pause between each rep, then 3 with 695 with similar method from slightly shorter distance. Was going for 706 from the shortest distance and got it up, but the other platform shifted during the lift, so I had to put the weight down without clearing the rep. Still, that was something else! Quite the start for the week.

Blew up my back in a good way tonight.

T-bar rows

Iso rows with the highest grip position (necessary for a tall bastard like me to feel the stretch)

Pull-ups with a wide grip

Rack pulls

Curls

I'm starting to buy pretty hard into the "fewer sets=more gains" idea, since all of these have different angles and focus. Push day yesterday was similar. 

• Like 3

For the last month or so, I've been only lifting two days a week. Then, I do Peloton rides two days a week, and try to get one day of some other sort of exercise. It may be stretching/core work or a long walk, just something.

So far, I feel much better. I'm still increasing my strength, but at a slower pace that's a lot easier on my body.

Honestly, I wish I was lifting hard four or five days a week, but I think at this point, that's just not best for me.

I've also been trying to eat much better. I'm not on any sort of set diet or plan. I'm just being more mindful about not eating whatever junk I feel like at a given moment. I feel a ton better because of that now, too.

• Like 1

What are your lifts like on those two days?  Just full-body with the usual big compound stuff, or something a little more tailored to your issues?

I believe there was a lot of old-school thought that your lifting schedule should be super hard for the days you do it and might encompass 4 days in a row or more, but that you need a ton more rest - maybe a week or more - between focused sessions (meaning 4 days on at high intensity, a week+ off, another 4 days on, etc).  I think on some level, the whole 'bro split' methodology half-assedly falls into that territory.  I've thought about it because it would certainly save time, but the habit aspect of going to the gym probably helps me too much to go any less than 4 days a week.  Otherwise you'd all get more Skyrim commentary, and no one needs that.

• Like 1

I'm still doing 5/3/1, but on a two day per week split.

So week one is Squat 531 and accessories on Monday, Overhead Press and accessories on Thursday. Week two is Deadlift on Monday, Bench on Thursday. And so on.

For accessories, I do three sets of 10 of a push, a pull, a leg and a core exercise. I'm currently doing a lot of kettlebell and offset stuff to try to work core in all exercises.

One thing I'm finding is that mentally, I'm more ready to put my all into a lifting day knowing that I'll have a break. Before, I'd be worried that my back might be a little off after my squat day and that may bleed into deadlifts, stuff like that.

I'm pretty happy with this split. I've slimmed down a bit without losing strength, which is what I wanted. Also, between work, kids, their sports, and just other stuff I want to do, it's been great for my time.

• Like 1

One more (half) day and the Winter break is finally here. We'll be going to Italy for the week, so no workouts next week, but we are planning to do some running in the mornings while there. (Ok, I packed my flexi-band in, just in case just now)

I put the order in for the usual Spring/Early summer diet supplements this morning, and I guess waiting for the right moment paid off as I paid about the usual amount, despite the inflation. Granted, I had to leave out some of the less essential items, but I'll place another order if it turns out they were essential, after all (which I highly doubt).

Today, I should do bench and calves and then I'll be all set. Wednesday was mostly shoulders and lat pulldowns, yesterday was messing around with heavy and heavyish dumbells. I also had one unusually easy shift at work which helped me to get in a much needed stretching for the legs. What I haven't done is make any new sports massage appointments, so I should book some once I get back from the trip.

I'm currently at 183 lbs (which funnily enough also nicely translates to 83kg) with about two weeks to go before the diet begins. By the looks of it, I don't have to go too crazy this year, unless something drastic happens in the following 16 days. But if I don't go a little bit crazy, it won't be as much fun, so we shall see.

...edit: Bench and calves done, also made a new Playlist for this year's diet, as in running and workouts with high heartrate! Tested it, working wonderfully!

Edited by Shartnado
one more workout...

Pretty good Upper day today.  I'm hitting maybe just over an hour per workout and that's probably about right for me.

• Incline Bench
  • Assisted Pull-ups (with a full stretch)
  • Cable Lat Raises
  • Dumbbell Pullovers
  • Lu Raises
  • Tricep extension/Hammer curl superset with the rope
  • Farmer carry

Other than the pullovers, Lu raises, and the carry, I could see myself changing up what the first couple of exercises are, depending on where I want my focus to be, but it's really just a matter of rearranging these things for the most part on an Upper day.  I'll probably even do a week or two every couple of months where arms go first.  I could swap out T-bar rows for the pull-ups if I felt I needed more of that, but pull-ups have always been weak for me, so they get the extra sets.

This is the first time in a long time where the 5/week structure has felt normal and right.  I was not only injured by last June, I was just hitting a wall mentally as much as physically.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

I posted this on the 3rd of April in a different thread:

I joined the gym as part of the BEEP scheme, first time in a gym for 15 years. I had to have my induction away from where I live because of my BEEP contact, Megan who I really didn't like. Megan has since left, I now have Ellie who is much better. I have to balance things out though because my body with CP works four times harder compared to someone doing the same without. Having done my induction, I can now go to the one 15 minutes away from where I live.

So the 4th of April, I looked round the gym closest to where I live thinking I could start then and there. All under the same scheme. No. I have to be put on the waiting list to have an induction and I need my exercise program in writing including what classes I can do. Let me get this right, I've completed my induction at this gym further away and I know my workout, how to use the machines but I still can't? So pedantic or is that just me? I told Paul (great name), my fitness instructor yesterday who kindly wrote my program/classes to do so I can take it to the one nearest to me. Yesterday was the first time in 15 years I did my cardio and the weight machines. Man, I'm fucking feeling it today. That a rookie mistake? I'm going to stick to using the gym two buses away and two back from as it's honestly a better gym, I really like it including the people but least I have an option to go to the one closest to me once I have the stupid induction done with.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

Not a rookie mistake, @The Natural. Whenever you change anything up, there's a good chance you'll get sore. Not always a bad thing, just be careful to not over-do it.

It's tough because sometimes you need to tough it out and push through things, and sometimes you need to listen to your body when it's telling you to take it down a notch. You just have to feel those things out for yourself.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Log said:

Not a rookie mistake, @The Natural. Whenever you change anything up, there's a good chance you'll get sore. Not always a bad thing, just be careful to not over-do it.

It's tough because sometimes you need to tough it out and push through things, and sometimes you need to listen to your body when it's telling you to take it down a notch. You just have to feel those things out for yourself.

Cheers, mate.

Welp, doing deadlifts and T-bar rows in the same workout is just about all the Pull day stuff you need.  Tossed in some rear delt flys and curls, but those were as much to give my CNS a break as anything else, because 7 sets of the big stuff really fried me.  Actually did squats on my last Lower day - kinda been alternating the 2 leg days a week as one day of Quad-dominant and one day of posterior chain-dominant.  Thankfully, tomorrow's is supposed to be the Quad day, because the DLs will probably leave me feeling pretty crummy tomorrow and I don't typically do regular squats on the Quad day anyway.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

I shot wrestling on Sunday, and I always need a couple days to recover from that. Hit the gym for deadlifts yesterday evening, and they felt better than they have in forever. Sometimes, when my back isn't feeling 100%, it's weirdly a good thing. I tend to concentrate more on making sure my form is right in order to avoid tweaking anything.

Anyway, I worked up to 320lbs x 3, and it sailed. Knee problems/covid/general laziness set me back a year or so ago. Happy to be making my way back to working sets in the 300's. Now just need to get my squat back there!

• Like 2