DVDVR Message Board

All-Purpose Health and Fitness Thread

Super Ape

Holy crap what a week. Actually, the work week was rather nice for a change. Workout was beast mode, full 5, ending in trapbar today.

Monday I was supposed to do 4x8x264 on bench, well that didn't work out, obviously. I started with 2x220, 2x242, 1x253 and 1x259, then got like 6 reps on the first set, probably more like 5, then 2 partials. After that, it got worse, but I ended up doing 7 sets with 264, still not getting near the 32 reps overall, but 20+ anyway. Then 4x253, 6x242, 6x220 and 22x132. There were latpulls and some chest flies with the resistance bands between those sets.

Tuesday was more upper body stuff with nothing too heavy or consequential happening. Nice pump, concentrating more on the upper back.

Wednesday was squat machine and calves. I did 4 sets of squats, 3 sets were 12 reps, deep, stopping at the bottom on most reps (175, 260, 350) then going down and doing half and quarter reps there with 420, going up to something like 15 "reps". Then the same weights for calves, but in reverse, with 3 sets with 420, with 2 or 3 different  foot positions within sets, then one set with each lighter weight.

Thursday was going apeshit on the arms and shoulders again with 83 on the EZ bar, 100 on the squatmachine's rack and 74,5 on two dumbells. Same as last week, I did 3 rounds of 12 reps of curls with EZ bar, 15 reps behind the neck OHP with it, then 6, 5 and 5 reps with the squatmachine rack for narrow grip OHP (that felt too hard from the get-go, so after the 3 rounds, I took it back down to 88, like last week), then 10 reps of incline dumbell bench press with the 2x74,5 each round and shrugs with those straight after. After 3 rounds of that I changed it up to hammer curl (12 reps each arm with the 74,5's), EZ Bar with reverse grip for forearms followed by the 15 reps of behind the neck OHP, then 7 reps with 88 narrow grip and did all that for 3 rounds as well. After taking weights off the dumbells, I did one more longer set of incline bench with a pair of 30's and the a set of curls with them as well.

Then, it was trapbar. I didn't lift anything standing on th platform this week. I started with 12x140, 7x196, 5x306, 3x416 (without Versas, it may be a record, or close to it), then 2x515, 1x526, 1x537, 1x548 and then off the 4cm platforms, 1, 2, 2 and 1x559 (I failed it off the floor before these). Then shrugs. A set of 8 reps with 438 (which has to be a record for me), then 20+ reps with 328, some 50 reps with both 295 and 218, then close to similar range with the plates while unloading them.

I have no idea how much I need to eat and sleep in order to recover from all this, but I'll be going to town on calories, like a middle-aged, mini-Wardlow, starting tonight.

• Like 1

Started this week early, going in on Sunday evening, despite deciding against it on Friday. It was a bench workout with a flipped rep to set ratio trying for 8x4x270. Well, I did end up doing 6x4x270, but the last reps on most sets were rubbish. I also did 6x154, 3x242, 2x253, 1x259, 1x264 prior to the main sets and 4x264, 4x259, 4×253, 5×242 and 20×154 after. I did lat pull downs, light push downs and 5-7 reps per arm with a 30lb dumbell between sets and two long sets of shrugs with the pairs of plates(44's and 55's, respectively) while unloading the weights. The workout was Ok, but I obviously wasn't fully recovered yet from last week, so tonight it will be an extra day off before the night shift. Maybe Tuesday night I will feel better.

• Like 1

Three positive Covid tests yesterday. While I was drying out. I don't recommend it. They've got me on this Paxlovid which has a litany of possible reactions to it. Anybody have to take it? 

Now the folks are starting to cough and dad's going in for hip surgery in mere days. Why, why, why.

• Sad 2

On 10/26/2022 at 11:31 PM, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Got a nice 110kg training max on the bench, clean as whistle today on NO CAFFEINE. I guess that's kind of a PR lol. Again, with basically no reps on the bench recently I'm pretty happy with that and it tells me a PR is on if I fancy it.

Not long after that, I became unwell and although I never actually missed a session, I had a week of crappy workouts. Cough is only just passing tbh.

I hit another 110kg training max on the bench today, though I did actually drink a small can of energy drink - but I did less warm-up sets. I'm thinking I might try and hit 112.5 next week, and then go to 115 if it feels ok. We'll see though. 

My gf decided she wanted to try to be able to do pushups - no knees on the ground. Tbh this is an ambitious goal for her, but I'm happy to try to facilitate that so we're actually doing a lot of Smith Machine incline push-ups atm - I'm having to go super-slow on them to milk them, but the stretch is interesting and I think I'm getting something from it. In exchange, we have to do inverted rows - which she hates lol! - I'm having to hold her feet to make her feel secure. We, somewhat bizarrely, have a 2nd Smith Machine in the bar with a cambered bar which is good as we can do one session on one then the second on the other. That being said, I think I will drop it to a later exercise for the next mesocycle - and I think I will do rep work on the bench during that cycle (still been speed work and training maxes only).

The powerlifting gym I visited a couple of times closed, which is annoying as I don't really have access to a deadlift platform right now - I mean I think there's another place I can go, but it's a private gym and I'd have to arrange it with people. I'll probably work up to a new squat max at some point, but I think that will probably be in the new year.

I'm going to set a target of 122.5kg for a not too grindy bench single before Xmas - let's see if I make it.

• Like 1

I had like a month of feeling just overall "shitty". I figured I'd get back to working out once I felt better. Finally, said "fuck it" and worked out even though I wasn't 100%.

Turns out, I felt shitty because I wasn't working out. Dammit.

• Like 2

So yeah, the rest of my week. After taking Monday off, I went for 3 rounds of Pull up, Dip, Reverse Shrug-combo, but only with 55lbs of extra weight. After those, it was a whole bunch of resistance band work in the form of lat pull-downs and chest flies.

On Wednesday, my thoughts were "the only reasonable options for this evening are either trapbar or another day off", so yes, I did a bunch of calves.

So trapbar was on Thursday. No standing on the platform this week, either. Started with 12x140, 6x196, 5x306, 5x427 and 3x438 without Versas. Thank you, magnesium, you magnificent bastard! Next week, I shall pass the 200kg (444 lbs would be the next step) mark before putting the Versas on. Then I did 1x526 off the floor and then the same on three separate times off 3cm platforms. Then it was shrug-time. Some 20 reps with 438, then more with 306, 218 and 196.

I was trying to eat more this week, but it so rough at work at the moment that the weight keeps going slowly down during the week, so I try to do what I can to recoup during the weekend, which is now, thankfully.

Edited by Shartnado
Typo

5 hours ago, Log said:

I had like a month of feeling just overall "shitty". I figured I'd get back to working out once I felt better. Finally, said "fuck it" and worked out even though I wasn't 100%.

Turns out, I felt shitty because I wasn't working out. Dammit.

There's some truth in that which is why I really don't like skipping workouts. I'll dial the workout intensity down if necessary, but it will take a lot to make me not go. 

Whilst some of his ideas are suspect, particularly politically, I quite like Scott 'Dilbert' Adams' strategy here - he'll at least put his gym kit on and go to his gym area. If at that point, he decides it's not happening then he'll walk. I think I've heard others say similar things - at least go and do your warmup - if at the end of your warmup, you really don't feel like you should be training then you go home.

In all honesty, I can't remember the last time I skipped the gym that wasn't covid-related or planned.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

There's some truth in that which is why I really don't like skipping workouts. I'll dial the workout intensity down if necessary, but it will take a lot to make me not go. 

Whilst some of his ideas are suspect, particularly politically, I quite like Scott 'Dilbert' Adams' strategy here - he'll at least put his gym kit on and go to his gym area. If at that point, he decides it's not happening then he'll walk. I think I've heard others say similar things - at least go and do your warmup - if at the end of your warmup, you really don't feel like you should be training then you go home.

In all honesty, I can't remember the last time I skipped the gym that wasn't covid-related or planned.

This is very true. If I'm healthy enough to go in the first place, it's very seldom I feel like I really shouldn't have bothered, after the workout is done!

• Like 1

Tbh I actually did some trap bar deadlifts a couple of weeks ago while not 100% and that was a mistake, and it came from pushing my gf. It was exacerbated by using crappy loose weights which meant the trap bar kept rolling around. 

Realisitically if you're unwell it will likely reduce the amount of stimulus you are able to recover from. 

Broadly I would say, if you're feeling less than 95% (i.e. beyond just a little lethargic)

1) No deadlifts unless 100%, except maybe speed pulls.

2) Minimise lower-back work generally, so probably no heavy squats or even heavy standing presses. 

3) Tbh probably nothing under 6-8 reps (unless speed work). Do a top single if you must, but no heavy triples.

4) Utilise calisthenics movements with low-loading wherever possible i.e. inverted rows, step-ups, push-ups (I'd maybe avoid dips tbh).

5) Cable/machine movements probably also should be emphasised, especially for accessories

6) Keep the workout to about a hour.

7) Hydrate best you can, electrolytes are your friend. A little caffeine is probably good, but don't do too much.

8.) Log what you do by all means, but don't compare it to anything.

• Thanks 1

Dad's got the rona. They're going in tomorrow to get scripts for meds. I will force them if I have to. 

Feeling a little better on my end. Finally ate some solid food today and no tossing/less phlegm. Literally lived on Naked Juice and water for three days. I'm thinking the key to getting through this is 1. Sleep, 2. Sleep, 3. Sleep, 4. Sleep ad infinitum.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Sad 3

On 11/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, SprintingFromAmerica said:

I have a home gym, so I'm almost always close, lol. 

I really did have one day two weeks ago that I got dressed to work out, came down here to the basement, and just couldn't do it.

I love the advice of at least doing the warmup. My warmup consists of a lot of mobility stuff, so even if I did end up skipping the workout, I'd at least get that much in.

• Like 3

I’ve definitely pushed myself a lot more than I should have because I lift at home, but having to drive places discourages me from doing lots of things so I’m happy I just have to walk downstairs.

I lost about two weeks due to some weird digestive issues compounded by the kids passing around a stomach bug. I was mostly just relieved my symptoms weren’t from a hernia. The only thing I managed to do was one day of chest/back, but I kept up with my cardio boxing. I lost about ten pounds because of my loss of appetite so my lifts are down. I need to sit at 170-180 lbs or I feel incredibly off, but it’s the perfect time of year to bulk. Time to get to work. 

• Like 2

The week started well enough, as my wife had a couple of extra days off and wanted me to join her for her morning jog/run. The weather was fine, but I can't recall when was the last time I've actually went for a run this late in the year. We weren't going fast, but we went for a full hour. My quads were toast afterwards. I tried my best to stretch them out at work and rode home extra leasurely, but they are still stiff as hell.

Luckily, the workout was bench and curls, so legs weren't a real issue there. The weekend's carb-loading did help, as the attempted 8x4x275 was much closer to reality than many previous attempts. Each set had at least the first one actually clean and all the way down to the chest, but yes, there were a shitload of partials in there too. Warm up was 5x132, 3x220, 3x242, 2x253, 2x264. After the heavy sets I did a decidedly ugly 4x264 then slightly better 4x242, 10x220 and 26x132. Between sets, I did EZ bar curls with 87 lbs, sets of 12, for about 6 sets, after that it was light side delt work between each bench set.

I should go for something light today as well, but the only other heavy day will be Thursday, so that must be trapbar, as I need to clear the 200kg mark without using the Versa Grips this week. Wednesday and Friday will most likely be off days.

Edited by Shartnado
Typo

Ok, Tuesday was just a huge bunch of lat pull downs with resistance bands.

Today it was trapbar. Standing on the higher platform, I did 5x229 and 5x339 and then 4x444 off the floor without Versas. Then 1x515 off the floor and then 3 singles with 568 off of 3cm platforms. Then 3x515 off those as well.

After those it was shrug-city with 429, 295, 229 and less.

I doubt I'll go tomorrow.

[Spoiler Alert]

Yeah, I didn't go, but with exactly 5h of sleep last night, it would have been rather pointless, anyway! I'll go for 451 lbs without Versas next week. I know I have failed that before. Damn, I was so stuck just lifting that particular weight for maybe two years, because it was the maximum the trapbar would hold, before our ingenuity kicked in (that and well, we got more big weights at the gym, too)! Pretty soon that will be the top set for shrugs, not deadlift.

Now I'll hit the sauna and begin the carb re-fill/loading shortly thereafter. This week was not the best, but still better than I expected.

Edited by Shartnado
More talk, less training...

This week was pretty much a wash. One light, but lengthy upper body workout and that's it. A suspected food poisoning that probably ended up being a mild stomach flu ruined things, among other stuff. Well, I guess the time off was due, anyway.

This morning my weight was down to a shade below 177lbs, and given the time of year that is really bad. Looking F'n ripped, however. I guess that's what having one evening of drinking in the past 2,5 months does to a guy? Scary.

Week started with a bench workout yesterday evening. Still feeling kinda weak from last week's stomach flu, but need to get back into it. Quick rise straight to the top weight with 5x132, 3x220, 1x264, then 5 sets with 281 with the first one or at best two reps were ok and rest was partial shit. After that it was 2x275, 2x270, 2x264, 7x220 and 21x132. Between sets I did lat pulldowns with resistance bands as well as push downs. Next time, I need to do 281 again, as there is no point adding weight yet, as this was not very impressive showing, honestly. More coming up tonight, but I'm not quite sure yet what I should be doing once I get there, but I think I'll settle for lifting weights.

Edited by Shartnado
Now with more spacebar

Yesterday's workout was shiiiiiiiit. It's almost like eating nothing but junk food/Thanksgiving food for a week straight had an effect on my workout. Oof. Pull-ups were particularly tough. Squats moved pretty nice, though.

• Like 2

Standing EZ bar curls and behind the neck OHPs were on the menu tonight with side deltoid work, face pulls and push-downs in between. 3 sets with 100 lbs and 3 more sets with lighter weight, dropping after each set. Curls were 8-12 range and OHPs were 15. I guess something with legs would be scheduled tomorrow.

• Like 1

Something for legs ended up being trapbar. I missed last week but was going for the without Versas record once again. I started with 12x140, then standing on the higher platform, I did 6x240 and 5x350. Then, off the floor, without Versas, 3x449 and 3x460, so the record keeps breaking. Then, with Versas on, 1x515 and 1x526 off the floor. After that, off the 3cm platforms, 1,1,2 and 1x526. Then shrugs with 416, 306 and 196. Due to time constraints, I missed most of the usual foam rolling and ab work, unfortunately. Tomorrow, something else.

One more upper body pump day with the usual resistance band stuff, curls, deltoid, lat, trap, pec and ab stuff to go with push downs. Nothing special or heavy, just trying to get a decent pump going. The following night shift went well, ending what has to be one of the best weeks at work that I can recall having. So, now I'm looking forward to the weekend.

I like walking the trail but don't do it much and I try and do the gym maybe once or twice a week.  But the idea of getting up super early means it takes more effort for me to not want to sleep in.  That just can't work if I want to have a chance at making progress in my goals.  And I tried some home workouts though found stuff involving resistance bands to be more to my liking.  I have more luck with that though feel it doesn't encompass everything I want to do.

So after seeing them play it enough on UUDD I caved in and got Ring Fit Adventures.  Yeah, it's technically a game but if you care to do things correctly it will kick your ass.   Heck, just setting up and doing a few challenges I feel soreness in the right places.  I know it sold a ton but it was never one of those games people talked about.  I guess it coming out during the pandemic people had to find a way to get their shit in.  And now with New Years resolutions around the corner I feel I'm best off staying away from the gym and finding my groove at home.  Plus if I wimp out on an exercise I can do that myself.  It's going to be interesting but if I can do this and maybe get my ass on the trail on weekends I might have a chance.

• Like 1

I went running with my wife on Monday morning and today I arrived to work extra early so I could get the bench workout in before the early start we have every third Wednesday. The top weight was same as last week, but I think it went a little bit better than last time. The warm up was 5x132, 5x220, 3x242, 3x264, 1x275. Then 6 sets with 281 trying to get 3 each time. 2 of the first sets were quite alright, the next two not quite as good, but still OK, fifth was trash and sixth even worse. Then the sets with 275 and 264 weren't much better. Both with 3 "reps", but ugly partials in reality. 242 went ok for 4 reps and couple more less so. 11x220 in theory, but not in practice. 25x132 for the finish.

Lat pull-downs, lateral side raises, shrugs and pushdowns between the sets.

Rest of the week is uncertain. If I have the time, I'll try to get more in, but stuff may get in the way. I have been trying to eat more during the couple of extra days off (Finnish Independence Day yesterday), I haven't weighed myself, but the pump was looking pretty rad.

• Like 1