DVDVR Message Board

All-Purpose Health and Fitness Thread

Super Ape

Officially,  good luck @Technico Support and good on you @Contentious C for saving a life. Also, grip strength can be a bastard and it should definitely taken good care of!

This week was a bit messy, but I was able to try 303 on the bench and while I did get it up, it was not clean so, I'll be trying again. I did a clean 286 and a bunch of 3's with 275 on top of other lighter weights. Finishing up with doing 50 reps with 132 in as few sets as possible (with like 10 second rest pauses), so it ended up being 27, 8, 5, 5, 5.

As a little life-hack, I was able to wrap a couple of ankle weights onto the low handles of the trapbar, so I could add 4lbs to each set, so the previous 451 was now 455 and 473 was 477. I did a 6 with 477 which is a technical record in this particular gym (for me), but as I was the first to even try it, I guess overall, as well.

Other stuff included a leg day with the squat machine and the 66, 44 and 22 lbs dips and reverse shrugs, so pretty much standard stuff, otherwise. Sleeping and recovery were not good, however, so the records were a surprise.

Edited by Shartnado
Typo and other
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lost nearly four stone from October 2009-July 2010 or October 2010, put a stone back on but lost it between April-October 2011. I'd kept it off till this year. I'd be the heaviest I've been for a long time by a mixture of pain making it hard to move, some poor food choices and some of the antidepressants. I need to get back to what I was. Here's hoping for better next year!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 4:02 PM, Technico Support said:

I'll never be as ripped as Shartnado but I did shart once while out for a run, so I got that going for me!

On the plus side, I lost 7 pounds over the last week.  I'm sure a good chunk of that is water weight but I'll take it.

There sure is a reason why I prefer to run on an empty stomach, you know! Hey, 7 lbs is 7lbs, you have to shed the water weight at some point, so way to go!

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

There sure is a reason why I prefer to run on an empty stomach, you know! Hey, 7 lbs is 7lbs, you have to shed the water weight at some point, so way to go!

Thing is, it WAS fasted cardio, like 6:30 in the morning!  Must have been from night-before snacks.  Things you never want to think while running: "wooo, that fart felt warm!"

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Thing is, it WAS fasted cardio, like 6:30 in the morning!  Must have been from night-before snacks.  Things you never want to think while running: "wooo, that fart felt warm!"

THAT takes talent! Yikes! Yeah, you never want to be thinking "I hope I'm not leaving a trail behind me!", either!

Edited by Shartnado
Ewwww...
  • Haha 1

So, a rest and recovery week, as I only got around to the gym on Thursday night. Trying to get the entire upperbody at least somewhat worked over, I did dips and reverse shrugs with 77 lbs 4 sets and 66 and 44 lbs one set both. Then chest flies, lat pull downs and push downs with resistance bands, some light curls and a set of shrugs with the two 70 lb kettlebells. Then abs and some foam rolling and stretching.

Last two weeks have been freezing over here and that led me to feeling like not getting out of the door a single moment before I have to. So at least on one evening I did a bunch of stretching and massage on my neck, which was so stiff it was giving me a headache. Found the problem areas and made the pain subside.

Work week was surprisingly good, with most of the problems being technical and not really physically demanding. The freezing weather meant that there was no snow storms so that helped the logistical issues at work.

Last night, I discovered another great Syntwave band, called Midnight Danger and made sure to put a bunch of their stuff on my gym playlist. Listened through their latest release while biking home. I'm sure it went faster than my usual winter pace, especially with roads being in decent condition at the moment.

My weight is around 180 lbs at the moment, which is ridiculously low for December. I planned being around 195 at this point. There's an actual chance that I won't Jericho myself this year, but after December 17, I won't be back to work until January 3, so there will be plenty of time to bloat.

Was able to single-arm Arnold Press 50 lbs for 3x8/9 today, and got this utterly disgusting pump off doing cable tricep kickbacks after my usual overhead rope extensions.  Don't have anything push-related to do until next Tuesday, but I'm probably going to go for 175 on flat and see how I do.  I'm firmly out of neurological adaptation and into what ought to be proper gains, but who knows how successful the gaining part will actually be.  I'm currently ~195, and that's about where I typically max out. 

The other issue is that my blood sugars have been getting increasingly off with the 3k+ diet I was eating.  When I started in July, I was doing maybe 2 post-prandial doses of insulin at 4 units each, but that went up to 6 units each for the last month.  I'm shooting for a lower calorie target now - or, at least a lower carb percentage - so who knows how that will go. Maybe I will regain some sensitivity.  I suppose I could also consider doing cardio on my off days, in case that helps, especially since that largely leaves your calorie-burning alone due to NEAT and other factors.  But lower calories means it will be harder to actually gain.

Still been working out lol. Mostly with the gf - that's been good and bad, but she's not going to be in the gym with me much over xmas and new year so I will have less excuses.

However....I did a SSB Pin Squat yesterday...maybe not quite as deep as I would prefer because safety settings aren't so fine but definitely below parallel.....did 2 plates for a set of 12 with no grind - definitely a 2 plate rep PR, raw or not. I was sucking air afterwards, but truthfully reps were in the tank. I'm going to put my focus there and plan a 1 RM max right at the end of the year - I'm thinking 160kg but I may wear wraps and see if more is possible. I might experiment with the wraps this week.

Gf is a certified taco squatter. We've identified what she needs to do to fix that - step-ups and lots of them! Also DB RDLs.

My bench has definitely regressed a hair. I lost a wrist wrap and procrastinated on replacing them - this was ok at first but I've noticed my wrists feeling a bit unhappy at above 90kg recently. Will definitely get a new pair and stick with them in the new year. Over Xmas and New Year I will hammer hypertrophy in the 80kg-90kg range meantime.

2 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

D7kbzI4.jpeg

12 weeks into the diet, 1 week to go. Half a kilo above my goal weight. Down almost 15 kilos in 12 weeks. Under 100 kilos for the first time in years and years. 
Plan is to maintain until Spring and try another fast and three months of dieting to see if I can get really lean.

Looking good bud.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gordlow said:

D7kbzI4.jpeg

12 weeks into the diet, 1 week to go. Half a kilo above my goal weight. Down almost 15 kilos in 12 weeks. Under 100 kilos for the first time in years and years. 
Plan is to maintain until Spring and try another fast and three months of dieting to see if I can get really lean.

You can definitely see more definition around the bicep, delt, shoulder and trap area, as compared to the previous, similar photo! Way to go!

Edited by Shartnado
added a comma
  • Thanks 1

I'll put out a more detailed recap of my week, but I just wanted to inform that yesterday I cleared 500 lbs for the first time in a few years on Trapbar. I did 2x490 and 2x501 just because the other dude was doing it as well. My actual trapbar workout was the day before, so I just casually did that before I started my bench workout.

Two more to go, today and Friday. These will most likely be my last two workouts this year.

...Dammit! I just figured out that was a calculation mistake and I actually did 2×479 and 2×491! We need to figure out how to actually get 10 more pounds onto the bar so I can correct this properly.

Edited by Shartnado
Dammit, I counted wrong!
  • Like 2

And here's the actual update. Well-rested after last week's single workout, I decided to go full blast, since after this week, I get two whole weeks off from work. Monday started with a light but intense upperbody assault. I was able to do a few sets of ten pull-ups with bodyweight only. The right arm held up nicely, but I could feel it getting sore by the third set. Did reverse shrugs with bodyweight only between pull-up sets, then chest flies, lat pulldowns and push-downs with the resistance band. Other stuff included curls, shrugs and side and rear delts and abs

Tuesday was the actual Trapbar workout. I did 8×224, 7x335, 6x434, 5x455, 3x478, 2x478, 4x455 and then a bunch of shrugs and abs.

Wednesday was bench day, but I did the 2x490 and 2x501 on the trapbar since we found a new way to load the bar a few pounds more. Bench was as follows 3x132, 5x220, 5x242, 3x264, 1x275, 3x286, 3x264, 2x264, 7x242, 8x220, 10x198 and a 4 set 10 second rest-pause combo with 132: 25, 7, 5, 5 (so 42 in total). Shoulder work, curls and abs completes this day.

Thursday. Since I didn't use extra weights on Monday, so I did dips and reverse shrugs here. 4 sets with 66 lbs, then one set each with 44 lbs, 22 lbs and bodyweight. I did dumbell rows with the 70 lb kettlebell, 3 sets of ten with each arm. After this, more shoulder work and curls, pushdowns and curls, then abs and that was that.

Today was leg day 9 sets of squat machine in total. On top of the rack itself and two short resistance bands, I loaded the machine like so: 110, 220, 286, 330. I did 1 set with each weight until 330, did 3 sets with that and then one set each going back down. I did set of calf raises between each set once I hit 286 on the way up. On top of the usual ab stuff I did 3 sets with the power wheel for the first time in a good while.

So, yeah. That was my workout year 2021, as it is very unlikely I'll be going to a gym for the next couple of weeks. Home workouts are not out of question, but I need to rest my body now and gain some mass for next year. If something happens, I'll tell you about it, as usual. Oh, and the entire week's soundtrack was Synthwave, Midnight Danger in particular, for most of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, not much to report at all. Yesterday I did short resistance band exercise along with a few sets of push-ups (had to be more than 100 overall). Then I went to town on a 1.3 lb rare flank steak and a large baked sweet potato (split into two separate meals, though). This morning, I weighed in at 190. Today, I'm fixing to go for a 90(ish) minute walk, but there will be food and drinks at my destination, so that number is not going down, and I'm fine with that.

While I have rested a great deal over the holidays, my quality of sleep at nights has been terrible for the most part. Well, I've had naps during the day, but it is rather obvious that my body requires clean living in order to get the rest it needs and right now I'm definitely NOT giving it that! But hey, that's what the beginning of a new year is for. The rest that I'm giving myself is mostly mental, at this point. Trying to get my stress levels down to a minimum, before starting again. I hope everyone contributing to this thread (and everyone else, for that matter) has had the chance to do the same.

Oh, and btw, I got a whole box of protein bars and a bunch of creatine from my friend for Christmas, so I'll be well prepared with extra snacks at work in January and will be fine for creatine until the spring, at least.

• Like 1

I lived in The Czech Republic for seven years. They have a superstition that whatever you do on Jan 1 is what you will do all year. So, among other things, I try to get a Day One workout in whenever possible. I have kinda adopted the superstition, kinda just think it makes sense to set the tone for the year.

In 2022, I plan to go all in on improving structure and function through training. So, today I stuck to calisthenics and kettlebells.  Pushups, fat boy/Australian pullups, squats, step-ups, hanging knee raises, hip thrusts/bridges, kettlebell Turkish get-ups, kettlebell swings, some fat guy yoga...

I will stick to that basic template, full body 3 to 4 times/week until 1) I get bored of it 2) All my little various injuries and impingements are healed up and/or 3) I can actually do a few real pull-ups. 

My weight is holding steady under 98 kilos now, and I'm all veiny. I am really enjoying this.

Thanks for whatever inspiration or encouragement y'all have supplied! Here's to everyone reaching their fitness goals in 2022.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

I got struck down with what doesn't appear to have been Omicron a few days before Xmas. I felt myself becoming unwell, but it was the last day of my gf's gym pass and she was going to try for BW on the high-handle trap bar, so I tried to gee myself up and hit some singles on the low-handles. Not the best idea lol.

So that was me until the 27th. And yeah, my work capacity went to hell. And today I seem to have developed this weird hoarsey throat. So of course I went with my gf to the gym and hit some singles on the SSB Pin Squat, having done Day 1 Upper Day yesterday.

Actually it was ok, and the easiest 3 plate squat I ever did - and I seem to be fine more or less. DB RDLs at 42kg a side 3x10 was hell though, even strapped up (calf pump was crazy though). My current gym membership run out in 2 1/2 weeks - will probably aim for Squat and Bench PRs in 2 weeks but we will see how things go.

I haven't set solid targets for this year if I am honest because I may have to go 'on location' for work and that might affect things a bit. Tentatively, I want to get that 140kg bench I had hopes of getting in 2021 (the eccentric is most of the issue), and some kind of 4 plate squat. Realistically, that means I'd want to get the deadlift at 200kg+. I'd also like to get to chin-ups for work sets (so at least 3 x 5) - that will probably mean a weight cut, which if I am honest I am not sufficiently motivated for right now.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

Back to work and the gym as well, but it will be a short week on both fronts. Tomorrow, I'll be getting the third covid shot, so for once, something interesting and important happens on January 6th.

Monday was the usual deal with the upper body. I managed to do a set of 5 pull ups with 22lb extra weight, so maybe I can start to ease those back in slowly. The pump afterwards was pretty cool. The lat on my right side seemed to take a beating, as it bothered me on Tuesday's trapbar.

What also bothered me was the F'n snow. It took me more than an hour to get to work and my legs were toast by the time I got to the gym. I still tried to do something so I just did heavy singles. Before that I did manage 2x403 without Versas then a rep with 469 and two singles  with 458. Did the usual shrug stuff, too, but did noticed that my right lat was pretty jammed, so I opted out from any further heavy lifts. The roads were still a mess when I rode home after work, so I was pretty beat despite the short sets.

Was supposed to do bench today, but it's probably better that I didn't,  as my chest and triceps are still sore from Monday due to the two weeks pretty much not doing anything, save for a couple of days.

Next week, the new year starts for real, probably.

So I have mild laryngitis and I could barely talk for a couple of days. It isn't fully better now but seems to be improving. I 100% lost my voice a few years ago for a few days and it was kind of scary. But you more or less just have to wait it out - I googled for medicine and they were all homeopathic.

But actually working out yesterday seems to have helped. I still got my gf with me for almost all my workouts now, which is great but also a compromise. I can get bits of heavy work in but it does take thought, and I still need to take care of her with some of the stuff I have her do.

Yesterday's Upper Day:

Incline Bench (my preferred bench was unavailable) - Me: 70kg 10, 10, 12 Medium (a little wider than maybe optimal for me) grip, 1 x 12 close grip. Her: 20kg 6, 7. 8 (she grips quite close, largely because the bench only has two places to have the barbell). My 1RM on that grip is 110kg so that's about 64% of my 1RM. Yes we're having to take weights on and off, which is annoying but what can you do? Use Machines and DBs I suppose, but you can't 100% avoid the barbell.

Supersetted with single arm db row - Me: 17.5, 20, 22.5, 22.5kg 4 x 12 Her: 6, 8, 9, 9kg for 8, 8, 8, 10 reps.

Decline DB Bench Press - Me: 22.5kg 3 x 16, Her: 6kg 3 x 15. It was tough - I've got chest doms today and the stretch at the bottom on these is the chief suspect. Gf found the decline weird, but I had her spend time without dumbbells in position and she got used to it.

Medium-wide Lat Pulldown - Me: 40, 47.5, 47.5kg 3 x 20, Her: 20, 22.5, 22.5kg 3 x 16. She has lat doms today. I do not funnily enough, though it was painful at the time.

Supersetted with Standing DB Press - Me: 10, 12kg 2 x 20, Her: 3kg 1 x 12 (awkward), 2kg 1 x 16 (better, but there's a shoulder mobility issue there)

Cable Fluff: 2 sets of cable curls supersetted with facepulls, with 1 set of tricep pushdowns in the middle - 20/25 reps. (I'm not massively into supersets where the same muscle gets worked extensively, but I think the facepulls after the curls work great)

Probably more detail than people require, but that's the basic gist - I normally end up doing more weight for more reps, but I try to have us do more or less the same workout. 

Leg day today!

This past weekend (Saturday), I was all excited to work out.  I was going to be squatting my heaviest weight ever.  Unfortunately, that morning, I threw out my back picking up a t-shirt off of our bed.  It put me down for the rest of that day and most of Sunday.  Somehow, I felt good enough to give it a shot yesterday.  I hit 320 pounds for a nice, deep single squat.  Hooray.

Now my goal for the near future is to hit the 1000 lb club.  I'm shooting for 350 lb squat, 400 lb deadlift and 250 lb bench.  I've hit the deadlift and bench in the past.  I've just always been behind on squat, but that's finally progressing now.  I'll turn 44 in April (hopefully).  I'd like to hit it before then.  Wish me luck!

• Like 3

Since I unwittingly mislead my fellow posters by claiming to have cleared 500 lbs on the trapbar before Xmas, I needed to rectify this, and I did so, yesterday. The trapbar itself is starting to look like a Xmas tree with all these things dangling off it. But the workout was as follows: 3x251, 3x383, 3x471, 3x493, 3x504, 3x493, 3x471, 3x405 plus a bunch of shrugs. I did the first bench workout of the year on Monday, but two sets of 3 with 275 was as high as I got.

@Log

Congrats on the squat, I hope your back gets better soon!

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Got off my arse and did my first fifteen mile hike of the year. It got me thinking...is there a world record for longest distance covered while doing the Fargo Strut? 

14 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Got off my arse and did my first fifteen mile hike of the year. It got me thinking...is there a world record for longest distance covered while doing the Fargo Strut? 

I doubt it has been tried, but if it has, it's probably something pretty crazy. If it's still up for grabs, maybe you should just go for it!

Four workouts this week, with Thursday off so I could watch Dynamite and most of NXT 2.0.

Monday and Tuesday I already covered, Wednesday was the usual Monday-type workout with dips and reverse shrugs and 66 lbs of extra weights. Once I got down to 22 lbs I also did 2 sets of pull-ups.

Friday was moderate weight, but high-ish rep workout on the Squat machine and calves getting their shit it as well. Also some more curls with a pair of 33's, 22's and 11's when unloading the machine.

The biking weather changed from good to slushy to icy and bumpy within 5 days. Nothing was bad enough to make me skip any planned workouts, so that's well enough. Thursday was a planned day off from the gym.

The weight is howering around 190 at the moment and since it's the weekend, it's not about to go down from that. My abs have taken a hit, for sure, but right now, I'll go for all the mass (and strength) I can get, until late spring at least.

Good week, with the redemption story of actually lifting the 504 on the trapbar being the highlight.

My shoulders are the fucking worst.

The last 2 months have been an ongoing struggle to progress without causing constant pain and stiffness. Part of it has been my lack of rear delts, but only a small part. I've had to just scrap barbell OHPs altogether. 

There have only been two good fixes to this. The first is grip width. Too narrow or too wide pushes the strain into the joints and my presses suffer. Did 1x2 of 175 on flat bench maybe 3 weeks ago and thought I was going to break in half. Today, with the right grip, I did 3x5 of 175 and probably could have squeezed another rep or two with a spotter.

The other, surprising addition has been doing various pin presses in the Smith machine. I'm not typically a fan, but I'm loading 2 plates on each side for either flat or incline and then going to complete failure with them, which you can't entirely do safely at a normal bench. Chest gets a huge burn, shoulders don't take as much beating or limit how much I can move.

It's not perfect - I'm probably dealing with arthritis, scar tissue buildup, or both - but it's better.