DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

Calling all Shinsuke fans.

A friend of mine hated the Nakamura vs. Zayn match and so far refuses to think he has any good matches out there.

So, if any of you could kindly point me to a YouTube available high quality Nakamura match, I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zev said:

A friend of mine hated the Nakamura vs. Zayn match and so far refuses to think he has any good matches out there.

So, if any of you could kindly point me to a YouTube available high quality Nakamura match, I would appreciate it.

Well, if he hated the Zayn match, you might as well write him off.

• Like 6

Yeah, hard to think of a match that could be more inclusive than the Zayn match.

If you think having Jim Ross give him a cosign might help, you could find the English broadcast of the Ibushi match at WK9.

• Like 3

I'm paraphrasing parts of a hasty conversation to be sure, but the main takeaways I got were that he thought the match was at times "sloppy", they didn't gel together, and the near falls weren't the least bit suspenseful.

I'm not trying to hate on your friend, Zev, but I honestly don't get any of those criticisms.

OK, can you tell me what your friend does like? Striking? Comedy spots? Bomb-throwing? 

1 hour ago, zev said:

I'm paraphrasing parts of a hasty conversation to be sure, but the main takeaways I got were that he thought the match was at times "sloppy", they didn't gel together, and the near falls weren't the least bit suspenseful.

Sloppy? They didn't gel together? The least bit suspenseful?

The first two are flat what. The last one sounds like your friend is a fan of finisher fests because the near falls had more to do with their signature moves instead of them spamming their finishers for nothing. Like Nak timed the kickout for the Blue Thunder Bomb to 2.99. Your friend is a lost cause.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, zev said:

Who's his favourite wrestler, Hulk Hogan? RVD? Mr Anderson?

@ LWP: Nope, he didn't.

@Cristobal: I have really good friends, thanks.

@AxB: None of the above you mentioned. But now I'm really mildly curious as to whether or not someone outside of Anderson's family consider him their have.

@Mcugly: As for what he likes, I'm thinking not so much on comedy spots. I'd have to say chain wrestling more so than full reliance on nothing but bomb throwing. It's odd because I figured it would be the match on the card he'd like most, and I'm legit puzzled as to his responses.

@EVA: Thanks for that recommendation.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I have seen him wrestle against guys like ZSJ, but the chain wrestling is peppered with striking and a bit of preening/semi-comedy spots. Maybe you could hit YouTube and search for a Nakamura/ZSJ RevPro match that happened in 2014 I think that should be up and easy to find (it was a free match). I enjoyed it, but I would never call it Nakamura's best match. Maybe your friend doesn't like Nakamura's strengths, which I think (if I had to get particular, as I think Nak is all-around great) are the three things I mentioned plus elite-level charisma. 

Has anyone seen the Sabre Jr. vs. Ospreay match yet?  I just watched it. It's a really fun watch and both guys hit some crazy moves, flawless in execution but it was also very much a spot fest where after a while each guy was just doing stuff. 

I didn't think it came anywhere near Nak/Sami Zayn.

I enjoyed Sabre Jr. vs. Chris Hero more than the Ospreay match.

Man jesus did I ever hate the constant stoppages. I zoned out after that. I know I should get over it and accept that this is a big corporation with a lot of PG type sponsors, but interrupting the flow of your main event like that.. And it's even more bitter for me when you realize it's Drake mfing Younger enforcing that. I mean, isn't that surreal as fuck? I'm happy for all those guys they get WWE paydays, but that match reminded me you're never really gonna see some undiluted greatness in WWE like you would anywhere where workers have freedom to work.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Has anyone seen the Sabre Jr. vs. Ospreay match yet?  I just watched it. It's a really fun watch and both guys hit some crazy moves, flawless in execution but it was also very much a spot fest where after a while each guy was just doing stuff. 

It was great in execution but lacked any kind of substance in between the sticks and came across far too ''precise'' and formulaic, ZBJ is great at everything but conveying emotion whilst Ospreay is raw yet hits his aerial spots effortlessly. Both played to their strengths but really lacked something in the middle which Zayn/Nak had in abundance. 

11 hours ago, JRV said:

but that match reminded me you're never really gonna see some undiluted greatness in WWE like you would anywhere where workers have freedom to work.

Two matches before this one took place you got undiluted greatness.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zev said:

Your friend surprises...

Try these:

@MarcosLoura: Just seen your post as page 18 opened before 17. I'll have a think about matches and shows. If you want an NXT fix, can't go wrong with the TakeOver shows.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zev said:

Not to defend someone I don't know but I don't see these as being crazy critiques if you are looking for particular things.  I feel as though Nakamura does come off as sloppy in that he is this flailing, manic thing that is a bebopping and a scatting all over the place.  He doesn't strike me as being 'tight' as he takes weird angles and sort of falls in weird ways when he hits stuff (like his middle rope knee to the back of the head).  I think it works to his character personally, but I can see that issue.  I can also see the gel issue early on in the match which seemed a little too slow to me until they got on the same page.  I think its pretty clear though that Sami had to adjust to Nakamura than the other way around.  Also the ending of this thing was never really in doubt so if you went into it with a snarky attitude, I could see not buying falls off moves that had never gotten a fall before with the Blue Thunder Bomb.  Anyway, I'm defending someone I've never met before so this strikes me as a really weird post.

• Like 2