DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

NXT TakeOver: Dallas. A terrific wrestling show from beginning to end. All five matches worth watching, four great in Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn, Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe, Jason Jordan/Chad Gable vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder and Asuka vs. Bayley. Nakamura/Zayn the best of the lot.

3 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

Choosing Mania 32 as my first rasslin' viewing since The Rhodes Family vs The Shield way back in 2013 was a very poor decision. 

Deciding to give this show a shot the day after was:

200.gif

I'll try and help with other show and match recommendations if you so feel that way.

1 minute ago, Cristobal said:

Tag match better than the two singles title matches? That's a strange one.

The NXT Championship match was definitely better than the NXT Tag Team Championship match. The first time I watched the show, I marginally preferred the tag to the NXT Women's Championship one.

18 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I think the biggest mark against the women's match was it had to follow Zayn/Nak. When I rewatched it on its own I liked it quite a lot.

We're in agreement. I said the same, you did and I think one or two other posters as well.

• Like 1

For Context - I am quickly re listening to the WON audio show after Dallas (I don't know if he wrote similar things since I haven't read the WON yet with the actual ratings)

In regards to Nak/Sami - Dave was trying to say something about how it wasn't as intense as other great matches he had see (but he even said it was difficult to express exactly what he was trying to say. My guess is he was starting along the same lines he has used before where setting does influence his rating. Like being at actual Mania or a Tokyo Dome show means more than say a random PPV). He thought it was a great match but "it wasn't one of the greatest matches he had ever seen". So obviously - that immediately means it wouldn't be 5 stars. He almost admitted that being their live might have almost taken away from his opinion of the match. The exact quote was "I don't know if we were in the right spot to full get that match."

There is also the fact that (and this is my opinion) - Dave was told by people after seeing NXT that Ospreay/Sabre "blew this match away" and so I think he had in his brain that he couldn't give this 5 stars in case Ospreay/Sabre was better

None of this should affect your enjoy of the match but in case one was curious of some of the thinking

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I too hate when other fans' enjoyment of a match lessens my enjoyment of a match.

I take it you're cool with the people sitting near you talking through a movie, too.  After all, why should you care if that's how they personally enjoy it?

For me, the reaction of the live crowd is part of the show.  It's more exciting to watch a great match if the live crowd is reacting along with it.  So a bunch of ignorant chucklefucks singing through a  match for their own amusement kind of brings things down a notch. 

• Like 1

There's an obvious difference between talking through a movie (or a wrestling match) and not reacting to the match the way you want.  That crowd was reacting along with the match, just not with the same studied eye as you. 

Taken a step further, there's also difference between chanting for the people in the match (chanting "Ole" for Sami isn't really much different than the Bayley chants) and the Raw crowds that chant random nonsense when they get bored watching Sheamus.

Just now, MarcosLoura said:

Should I just watch all the Takeover show from the last 6 months?

If you are just starting watching WWE again - then yeah, just watch the Takeover shows. You will get recaps on almost all the matches so you at least have a sense going in what the story line is. That is one of the nice things about NXT - lot more straight forward in that regard

27 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

Should I just watch all the Takeover show from the last 6 months?

I think they're all worth watching even the first Takeover back in Feb 2014 has an amazing Zayn/Cesaro match, and a really good Paige/Emma match.

As for Meltzer's opinion of the matches if Zayn/Nak had went 10 more minutes with 25 finisher kickoutz he would've gave it 5*. His opinion of wrestling has sucked for a long time.

Yeah, I'd at least start back at TakeOver: R Evolution since that starts a big new feud for Zayn and is around the time that the Women's division really heats up with a good Charlotte/Sasha Banks match. 

Finally had the chance to read this and the post-WM one due a busy work week.  Lots of pages between the two, damn.

I'll try not to say the same thing everybody's been saying this whole time, but holy fuck what a show!  I desperately need to watch this again, and in particular I'll watch Bayley/Asuka on its own.  I'm in agreement that them following Nak/Zayn was a tough task.  And on first viewing I was super bummed seeing Bayley lose, so hopefully I'll look at it more objectively on second viewing.

We were watching this with some friends and I can only imagine what they were thinking when they saw my wife and I fanboy/girl over him.  Every single thing about him and that match was outstanding!  The music is so fucking beautiful and I've been obsessing over that the past week.  It's something you just want to see somebody do an awesome interpretive dance to or something.  I selfishly hope he's there at WM next year since I'm planning on going, and I can only imagine how elaborate an entrance it would be.  Get some violins and stuff, have some dancing or some shit, hell yeah I'd be down for that.  I'd need to see how it stacks up to matches like Osprey/Sabre, but this is my personal MOTY.  The build, the setting, the entrance, the match, everything was fucking awesome about this.

Okay, after rewatching I stand by my statement that top to bottom this is the best wrestling card I've ever seen and that covers some serious ground. I don't know who pissed in Dave's Wheaties, but he's way off on this:

Dave Meltzer's star ratings:

Jordan/Gable vs. Dawson/Wilder ****

Aries vs. Corbin **1/4

Nakamura vs. Zayn ****1/2

Asuka vs. Bayley ***3/4

Balor vs. Joe ***1/2 

Whereas OSJ sez: 

Jordan/Gable vs. Dawson/Wilder **** (We are in accord)

Aries/Corbin **** (Yeah, it was bully gets his 101, but Corbin was just stellar in making Aries look legit.

Nak vs. Sami ***** (Count 'em Dave, that's 5 from the guy who can find fault with anything. MOTY thus far.)

Bayley vs. Asuka ****1/2 (We do not deduct from where a match is placed on a card or what it follows. This was great, Asuka is a goddess and anyone that says differently needs to be kicked in the head.)

Balor vs. Joe ****1/2 (Speaking of people that need to be kicked in the head, did I actually see someone post "Finn is boring" in this very thread? For shame. Finn was great here even if Joe stole the show. For a short time I remembered when and why Joe was the best in the world once upon a time.)

• Like 1

I'm glad to see people coming along on that Corbin vs. Aries match.  When I rewatched the show I thought that match was really good.  I think it should have happened after the Zayn vs. Nakamura match when the crowd would have appreciated it more, but that isn't their fault.  Corbin really has improved a hell of a lot over the last year, and seems to have a really good feel for when and how to slow a match down to get the most out of his work.