DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

Thinking about Nakamura/Zayn, which I have now seen three times, it's definitely one of my four or five favorite matches ever. I don't know if I like it more than Rude/Steamboat Ironman (my current number three), but I think I like it more than Sting/Vader King of Cable or Bryan/HHH or Breaks/Davey Boy, which would vault it into my personal top five for sure. 

Even the stuff that I've seen before, like that opening sequence where Nak does the head-against-the-abdominal taunt, then knocks his opponent down and misses a head stomp and a roundhouse seemed somehow exciting and new and awesome as if I'd never seen it before. 

I love this match so much. The pop for Nak's rope-draping taunt alone still gets me fired up. 

Hey I re-watched Bayley/Asuka without the other match first and it was good stuff.  Bayley's strikes sucked, but her limb work was pretty cool.  Dug all the leg related offense .  Asuka was great all round as usual.  

I would probably still have this behind the main event and Nak/Zayn, but pretty much everything on this show was awesome.  The main event was even better on second viewing. Joe is on another level, but Balor actually wrestling like a possessed person, instead of a dude in face paint, really made this match.  The finishing stretch is awesome.

• Like 2

Okay, this was the first non-botchamania wrestling shit I watched in a long ass time.

What is this wiping up the blood horseshit?  Poop.  Otherwise, good to see Joe doin' that old Kawada chop-to-the-neck-kick-to-the-chest-into-the-big-kneedrop deal.  Too bad he had to squander a whole decade.

Whoever handles the entrance music for NXT wrestlers needs a raise. Every new signing's music (save for Austin Aries, just licence the damn music already) has been spot on.

Nakamura's was perfect. Helped by him doing his little shimmy on the break.

Joe's is just dirty. That trombone...delicious.

4 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

Whoever handles the entrance music for NXT wrestlers needs a raise. Every new signing's music (save for Austin Aries, just licence the damn music already) has been spot on.

Nakamura's was perfect. Helped by him doing his little shimmy on the break.

Joe's is just dirty. That trombone...delicious.

Nakamura's sounds familiar to me

• Like 1

I still can't believe the bland MMA guy I watched in NJPW a decade+ ago grew a personality and developed into the wacko that wrestled Zayn over the weekend.

This is all an elaborate rib, right?  Tomorrow, Meltzer is going to report that the real Nakamura was found chained up in an abandoned house after being kidnapped and replaced by his evil twin back in 2007.

• Like 1

After rewatching the first three matches of the show, I have to say that Aries and Corbin put on a much better match than we're giving them credit for.  It is the worst match on the show, but I found myself fully invested while watching it.  I think that match would have been the third best match at Wrestlemania, and would be a match we praised if it was on any show other than this one.  Aries frantically trying to hit every big move possible and Corbin killing him dead with cutoffs worked really well.  I think the biggest problem with the match is that the crowd was more invested in Corbin than Aries, so we didn't really get behind him.  Watching it at home made me wish that Aries was on TV more so he didn't get such a tepid response.

I didn't notice any urgency or frantic movement from Aries during that match though. I may go back and watch it, but he seemed to be the slowest giant slayer I've ever seen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I didn't notice any urgency or frantic movement from Aries during that match though. I may go back and watch it, but he seemed to be the slowest giant slayer I've ever seen.

Frantic might be the wrong word, but he's clearly trying to give Corbin very little room to breathe.  Corbin is the better worker in the match, because his cutoffs all look like he's trying to kill Aries.  That Deep SIx on the floor looked absolutely brutal, and Corbin slowing the pace worked really well.  I really think the match would be received differently on any other show than Takeover Dallas.  I think putting Corbin vs. Aries on this card is like putting a cerebral drama in the middle of a Rocky movie marathon.  It could be a legitimately great movie, but it would feel like a letdown from the adrenaline pumping movies around it.   

Takeover Dallas is by far the best wrestling show I've ever attended.  I honestly loved every single second of it, and it was worth every bit of time, money, and aggravation it took to get there.  Wrestlemania was fun, but NXT was everything I could have possibly asked for in a wrestling show.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

After rewatching the first three matches of the show, I have to say that Aries and Corbin put on a much better match than we're giving them credit for.

Seeing Corbin work Ziggler on Raw gave me a greater appreciation for this match, and showed how much better Aries is than the Kip Winger wannabe.

I'm a bit surprised people are critical of Bayley's performance. Technically, she looked as good as she did in the Sasha matches, and character wise, I'm not sure she ever looked better. She kept up with Asuka in a credible way that made both wrestlers look like they were on top of their game, giving the finish maximum impact. Bayley definitely had the balance of being on the defensive a lot, but still competent enough to do damage during her openings. Unlike the Asuka/Emma matches, I never felt like Asuka was "selling because she had to" or slowing down to accommodate her opponent which makes everyone look worse. Asuka is the undisputed best, but Bayley has shown she's really versatile over the last few months and this was far from a carry job.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Frantic might be the wrong word, but he's clearly trying to give Corbin very little room to breathe.  Corbin is the better worker in the match, because his cutoffs all look like he's trying to kill Aries.  That Deep SIx on the floor looked absolutely brutal, and Corbin slowing the pace worked really well.  I really think the match would be received differently on any other show than Takeover Dallas.  I think putting Corbin vs. Aries on this card is like putting a cerebral drama in the middle of a Rocky movie marathon.  It could be a legitimately great movie, but it would feel like a letdown from the adrenaline pumping movies around it.   

Takeover Dallas is by far the best wrestling show I've ever attended.  I honestly loved every single second of it, and it was worth every bit of time, money, and aggravation it took to get there.  Wrestlemania was fun, but NXT was everything I could have possibly asked for in a wrestling show.  

I think describing Aries' attack as suffocating definitely makes sense, as he was constantly draping himself on Corbin. I don't know if it's the smartest strategy or played up the size dynamic as much as the traditional speed vs. power match-up, but it was different.

I think the goal was to make Aries look tough while also slowing down the pace of the show.  Hard to accomplish both, but I feel like they did.  Aries crawling in the ring after the deep 6 was a good moment.

I have an odd faith in Corbin on the main roster.  He's been flat out good with a variety of different opponents

NXT TakeOver: Dallas. A terrific wrestling show from beginning to end. All five matches worth watching, four great in Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn, Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe, Jason Jordan/Chad Gable vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder and Asuka vs. Bayley. Nakamura/Zayn the best of the lot.

3 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

Choosing Mania 32 as my first rasslin' viewing since The Rhodes Family vs The Shield way back in 2013 was a very poor decision. 

Deciding to give this show a shot the day after was:

200.gif

I'll try and help with other show and match recommendations if you so feel that way.