DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

WWE is running a Twitter poll asking for a thumbs up/thumbs down on the show

34% said thumbs down

Wrestling fans are the dirt fucking worse

Clearly 34% of WWE Twitter fans are young/teenage girls.  That HAD to be their Hulk/Andre 88 moment.

Zayn/Nak was my most anticipated match, and I think they may have over delivered.  That's on the short list of best segments in NXT history. Nak is the best wrestler in WWE, and the most charismatic. Zayn played the role of company ace perfectly this match, and I got a kick out of Zayn marking out for Nak's entrance.

Alpha is the best team to come along in a long time. I mean they're still getting better, and they're already great. Gable is a top 5 talent in NXT. Aries/Corbin was fine for a round 1 match. Those two will definitely face each other again.

Bayley and Asuka had an impossible task following Zayn/Nakamura and they fucking did it. Excellent match. and boy the fans weren't expecting that finish. This didn't feel like a send off for Bayley the way the Zayn match did so bring on the rematch.

The main needed the blood to set itself apart. It's too bad the cut wouldn't stop bleeding and the cut guys had to turn heel lol. Joe was on fire he completely out classed Balor to the point Finn was an afterthought. I was disappointed that there was no angle at the end, but it was a fucking awesome show.

I expected the show to be good but, fuck, that was something else.

The tag match was honestly my most anticipated of the evening and I wish they'd built it up about more and given it another 5 minutes, because it was pretty much a clinic of face/heel tag team psychology.  All the cutoffs the Revival were doing (especially Wilder's under the ring move) were on another level.  I'd thought this would be match of the night but was never more happy to be proven wrong.

I'm one of the few people here who thinks Corbin is a generic hoss who does absolutely nothing for me, but his match with Aries was still pretty good.  Aries winning with a rollup was probably the best way to finish it as Aries got the much needed debut win and Corbin didn't look overly weak.

It wasn't until tonight I really warmed up to Nakamura.  I've always thought he was just some skinny guy acting all spastic who I didn't buy as being overly stiff for no reason, but tonight he really clicked with me.  Both he and Sami were just going all out and this match just kept getting better and better.  Everything they did meant something and they kept pulling out more and more stuff.  Nak countering Sami's diving DDT was especially brilliant.

The women's match was also a thing of beauty.  Nothing about it I can really point to specifically, other than Bailey working Asuka's legs and the ending making Bailey look strong even in defeat.  I really hope she doesn't go to the main roster right away as she'd unfortunately get lost in the suffle.

I find it kind of ironic Drake Younger was stopping a match due to blood loss.  The main event was a lot better than I was expecting.  I know Joe and Finn can both deliver, but they really stepped up their game here with Joe making himself look like a killer and Finn looking like the resilient champ who has a way to answer everything thrown at him.  The ref stoppages actually detracted from the match for me as it brought down the pace.  Still, the Bret/Austin homage was probably the best way to end things and I hope Joe gets called up.  As much as I'd like seeing him as NXT ace, I really want him to get his on the main roster while he has tthe chance.

Something I want to point out because nobody else caught it from what I saw.

Beautiful touch in the tag opener: The Revival have a LEGITIMATE claim they got screwed over. Jordan made the tag to set up their tag finish, and never tagged out, and Gable got the pin. I'd be STUNNED if that doesn't come up again.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

Nakamura's kickout from the Blue Thunder Bomb was about as close as it fucking gets to 3.

Glad you brought that up.  THAT was 2.9999. It's like Nakamura had the power to freeze time for a moment just so he could pick his spot.

• Like 1

Apart from the recent Royal Rumble, I haven't watched any wrestling in 2-3 years and barely follow it. I realized Wrestlemania was on this weekend and decided to order the network. I figure even if I don't watch anything but the PPVs, $12 is still a pretty good deal. So I ordered it and noticed there was an NXT show on in half an hour so decided to watch. I'm familiar with the concept, with Devitt and I've seen a couple of clips of Bayley online, but that's about it. I figured I'd give some random thoughts as a newbie.

1. I was pleasantly surprised by the pre-show. I always liked Renee Paquette when she was doing the post-Raw/Smackdown shows here in Canada, but her and Ranallo seem miles above what I'm used to seeing in WWE. They felt genuine and completely unscripted.

2. Also surprised by the hipster/metrosexual look of the commentators. Wrestling sure has come a long way. They were pretty good too. At one stage, I noticed that one of the guys sounds like one of the South Park guys, so I pretty much had Randy Marsh commentating for the rest of the show which was pretty funny.

3. Baron Corbin looked really low rent to me and I became transfixed by his wobbly belly.

4. Holy shit Kota Ibushi! I remember watching him 10 years ago in DDT where he stood out immediately. Were the commentators just hyping him up or has he become one of the best cruisers in the world?

5. The presentation of the women has improved so much. There seems to be more of an emphasis on athleticism than sexuality and it's a great thing. Just wondering, have they ever let the women main event a show in NXT or on the main roster (on TV? definitely not on PPV obviously) The finish to this match was great. Normally I would've expected to see some hulking up and busting out of the submission, but it made sense for Bayley to succumb.

6. I love blood as much as the next guy (I used to watch BJPW) and I remember decrying the move to PG and having to stop matches to clean up cuts, but I was against the crowd here and think it makes a ton of sense. After all, nobody boos when cuts have to be cleaned up in boxing/MMA.

7. Overall, really great show from top to bottom and I'm excited to check out more.

• Like 1

Just now, sydneybrown said:

Glad you brought that up.  THAT was 2.9999. It's like Nakamura had the power to freeze time for a moment just so he could pick his spot.

I mean, that was just amazing trust in the count of a referee that he just can't be that familiar with.

13 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

John Cena announces he's back.  Joe comes in and murders him for being the star that he never was.  Instant feud.

This could be so great with competent bookers. Too bad we'll never see it on the main roster.

What else can you say about this show?

I'm 42 and I've been a fan in one way or another since I was 7 years old.

That was one of the best wrestling shows I've ever, EVER seen. Un-fucking-real.

• Like 1

I need to rewatch the Bayley match because it was a blur after what came before it. 

Credit to Balor for losing it at the end with the hulk up screaming and what not. That's the Demon differentiation people wanted.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bald Henry said:

6. I love blood as much as the next guy (I used to watch BJPW) and I remember decrying the move to PG and having to stop matches to clean up cuts, but I was against the crowd here and think it makes a ton of sense. After all, nobody boos when cuts have to be cleaned up in boxing/MMA.

They still boo in MMA when there's ref stoppage for cut clean-ups/check-ups.

• Like 1