DVDVR Message Board

2016 AFL Thread

sabremike

Giants upset the Swans, and Crows thrash the Roos.

SEMI-FINALS FIXTURE

Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs (second semi-final)

Friday September 16, MCG — 7.50pm (AEST)

Sydney Swans v Adelaide Crows (first semi-final)

Saturday September 17, SCG — 7.25pm (AEST)

PRELIMINARY FINALS FIXTURE

Geelong v Sydney Swans (second preliminary final)

Friday September 23, MCG — 7.50pm (AEST)

GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs (first preliminary final)

Saturday September 24, Spotless Stadium — 5:15pm (AEST)
Edited by Cleavy
updated Preliminary Finals fixture

8 hours ago, Thunder Down Under said:

My AFL membership finally paid off. Became a full member with GF seats after 9 years on the wait list and it's the year we make it. Just got my seats for the GF, Level 2 Southern Stand down the city end. Should be a cracking game and hopefully my Dogs can win it. 

Just curious how much the tickets were? Wonder how they compare to the Super Bowl or the Grey Cup in NA?

That's two weeks in a row where Sydney came out, punched their opponent square in the face in the first quarter, and coasted to an easy victory. I was very impressed with Buddy Franklin, he was fantastic.

GWS/Western Bulldogs was so much fun. Wanted it to go to extra time, because I loved watching those two teams go at one another.

On 25 September 2016 at 11:45 PM, sabremike said:

Just curious how much the tickets were? Wonder how they compare to the Super Bowl or the Grey Cup in NA?

AFL members were $190 for everywhere bar the back 20 or so rows at the top level of the Sotuhern Stand which were $170. As far as I'm aware silver AFL members pay the same amount if there are any left over which I don't believe their was after the Full members onsale.

I also got a Bulldogs reserved game seat direct thru the club with Social Club membership which entitled me to a Grand Final ticket if I wanted to go thru the club. However the mates I go with don't have a Social Club membership attached to their reserved seats, so to sit together I would have had to join a ballot with the rest of the reserved seat members (Because they don't have a SC membership they're not guaranteed a seat. Only Coterie members who pay around $1500+ a year and Social Club members who pay an extra $150 on top of their yearly reserved seat members are guaranteed a GF ticket if we make it. Coterie members get preference and I believe get to hide their seat. SC members are next and get allocated a seat After that, the rest go into a ballot where they literally just randomise the membership numbers and deduct the money from the account of the successful numbers chosen. They then publish the results on ticketek.com.au if you want to have a look) to get access to a seat in one of 9 different price categories  (from $150 for standing room to $390 for category 1, which would be the equivalent to my AFL members seat for $190 ) with no way of choosing which category as it was all subject to a ballot. We also had to register together to have our seats together. The registration period was the Thursfay before the GWS game and it was $5 to register per person, not refundable if we lost. One of my friends registered straight away, before we realised we had to register together to sit together. So it was an easy choice to wait for the AFL members sale the morning after the GWS game as I knew I'd be guaranteed a pretty awesome seat for way less money. One of my friends in the ballot got a seat around 10 rows from the ground of the top deck behind the goals at the Punt Road end for around $250 or so and one of them got standing room tickets in the ballot for $150.  I assume the pricing structure for Sydney would be relatively similar but you could probably add maybe an extra $100 to the bottom and upper range of the tickets for them.

MCC members have an even better deal, where for a large portion of the membership it is either $30 to reserve a seat and go into a seperate MCC ballot, or rock up to the ground at 8am in the morning and just take a seat. An old lawyer at my work has been a full MCC member since the 60's and has only missed 2 Grand Finals since becoming a member. They have something like 13,000 reserved seats and 8,000 walk up seats. The wait list to be even a restricted member is now in the 20+ year mark. Before the 1993 Grand Final I went with my family to the MCG open day tour and they had a deal going where you could nominate to be a member without needing 2 full members to support your application which is still the case today. You simply had to write down who you wanted to register and they went straight to the bottom of the waiting list which at that time was around 10 or so years. For some unknown reason my mother didnt put our names down, even though she is a staunch Collingwood supporter and had been a member since the 70's. To this day I still remind her that we would have gotten an MCC membership in around 2002 when I turned 16, because my Godfather did put his and his daughters name down when we went and that is when they got theirs. My best friend was put on in the mid 90's and he got his in 2008. The yearly membership dues are around $400-$500, but is by far the best deal for sports in Australia if you can somehow get access to it.

The rest of the seats are only really available thru corporate packages, where it is around $600 to $2,500. Most include either a Grand Final breakfast of some description (generally just a local comedian/sportsmen as the M.C interviewing a couple of guest while people eat overpriced croissants) or a lunch before the game at like middayish with the same sort of entertainment. The seats thru those packages can be good but they can be pretty garbage.

• Like 1

Unbeliveable atmosphere, unbelievable game. Hannebrey going down early in the last was a massive loss for them. Our pressure the entire final series is what won it for us. There was never more than a 5 minute period across the 4 games where it slipped from a manic level. The 5-8 min period of football between Hewitts goal to make it 1 point to Boyds running goal is the hardest I have ever seen played, and I'm just so happy to see it finally rewarded with a premiership.

• Like 1