DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

Almost through the first four eps. The "Concepts" song from The Day Time Ended is a real show-stopper, easily the best part of the season for me so far. I also popped like a monkey for the Great Gazoo joke.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Because the Internet is wonderful, someone on YouTube has put up full length, unedited and restored editions of a bunch of MST3K experiments, remixed with the original episode audio. Check out how rich and beautiful "The Day the Earth Froze" (appropriate) is.

Faith in humanity restored for the day. Full list here.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, Control said:

Netflix switched out their classic collection. New “season” includes THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE and HOBGOBLINS. 

Maybe my favorite episode ever. Complete list:

• The Day The Earth Froze
  • Hobgoblins
  • The Beatniks
  • Sinister Urge
  • Bride of the Monster
  • The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
  • Gunslinger
  • Deathstalker & The Warrior From Hell
  • The Beast of Yucca Flats
  • The Atomic Brain

• 1 month later...

Fwiw,  last night they did a twitch event reading of issue 1 of the mst3k comic with some of the cast and some of the critical role cast.  I'm sure it will end up on the web someplace. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Slightly related heads up: This Island Earth (the actual movie, not The Movie) gets a brand new Blu-ray issue Tuesday. It's actually pretty damn good for a MST3K alum, and it also, obviously, holds an important place in MST3K's history.

Edited by Brian Fowler

Just got tickets to both nights of Joel’s tour in Boston this October. My wife and I are big fans and we’ve never traveled to do any nerd stuff before, but Boston is just a 1 hour flight. Tickets and flights weren’t bad, but hotels in Boston are murder.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Control said:

Just got tickets to both nights of Joel’s tour in Boston this October. My wife and I are big fans and we’ve never traveled to do any nerd stuff before, but Boston is just a 1 hour flight. Tickets and flights weren’t bad, but hotels in Boston are murder.

The live show was even better than I’d hoped. Just a great experience.

if this is MST3K’s swan song, it’s a good one. But also I’ll be sad. I need more MST3K.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, Control said:

I'm hopeful that in this age of competing streaming giants, someone will think showing a critically acclaimed, cheaply made cult favourite is a good idea.

They do, just usually for not more than about 2-3 seasons ? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cindy: "That song is so bad! This movie is so bad! What's the name of it?"
Me: "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians."
Cindy: *completely loses it laughing for the title*

This was where I explained how these were the movies that actually MADE the cut for the show and could we even imagine how bad the ones were that didn't make it...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 1:47 PM, Pete said:

Because the Internet is wonderful, someone on YouTube has put up full length, unedited and restored editions of a bunch of MST3K experiments, remixed with the original episode audio. Check out how rich and beautiful "The Day the Earth Froze" (appropriate) is.

Faith in humanity restored for the day. Full list here.

The gentleman in question just posted the complete original cut of "Devil Fish" (aka "Monster Shark") today, so if you actually want to see said film in its original order, now is your chance.

For instance: The "Devil Fish" cut starts with the old couple in the houseboat. That scene does not show up in "Monster Shark" until about 37 minutes into the film.

• Like 1