DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

so random notes of my dubbing of MST3k eps to DVD.  Finding comedy bits with Dave Attell and Greg Fitzsimmons with full heads of hair.  Playstation "You are not ready" commericals.

Sneak peaks at the new series:  Dr. Katz Professional Therapist.

It's equally as weird seeing matches of Christopher Daniels with hair as it is seeing Attel & Fitzie with hair.

I will bump up the weirdness factor on Daniels of seeing Daniels with long hair when he was sort of doing a Raven gimmick.

That sounds fantastic!

I think he used to have it on his site, but I didn't see it when I quickly scanned.

Well, here's Danny Dominion v. Christopher Daniels with Daniels having a real early Lightning Kid kind of look.

http://youtu.be/geu4Pm25p1k

*EDIT*

Oh man, Daniels hair in this PR clip teaming with Kevin Quinn as Overkill is fucking crazy:

http://youtu.be/-hKfLHYlsJM

• Like 2

Random notes from todays dubbing:

While going through my Mystery Box... I have Mitchell on the same tape as Clash of the Champions XX (the one at Center Stage for the 20 years of wrestling on TBS)

Swamp Diamonds

- When Tom Servo is asking what to do with Gypsy on a date, Crow asks if "Hardcore" is out on tape yet.  I totally missed this first go around.

Commercials:

- One of the Not Necessarily the News guys in a Compuserve commercial, Jason Alexander Rold Golds pretzel commercials.

-Trailers for :  Elle DeGeneress in "Mr. Wrong".  "Threesome" with Lara Flynn-boyle and Stephen Baldwin

Classic CC ads I remember from my MST3K tapings:

- One of those Classic Commercials VHS sets: "He's here!  My mystery date!"  "Open the door for your..." (sigh...) "...mystery date!" 

- The Day-O parody for Kato Kaelin

- "Lucy and Ethel, Thelma and Louise, and now, Patsy and Edina!"  How was I to know that those women would mean so much to me some 5 years later? 

- Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher (always saw the one with Roseanne on the panel) 

- My taping of "Santa Claus" has several plugs for one of the Naked Gun sequels.  And "SC Conquers the Martians" the Car 54 movie. 

- Frutopia (I mean, the original ads with the kaliedoscope background and the slogans) 

- The MST3K Fan burial spots ("We listened to your whining" and the marathon where they showed S1 eps. against Best Brains' wishes, and Joel is the "fifth Bot-tle" and Erhardt is "Fake Frank")

Not CC related, but back in the mid '90s, Comedy Central shared a channel with NJN.  As such, I lost the first segment on many of my midnight tapings, and also got accustomed to the end credits of Are You Being Served?  (again, 5-6 years before that would mean more to me), and the NJN sign-off, which included this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS_3H2UtRSI

I have great contempt for the OJ stuff because I remember the "Just say NO. J.".  I seem to remember them deciding "Hey, you know what we should do?  We should insert a special about ignoring the OJ coverage" and it screwed up one of the last playings of Cave Dwellers so my recording was off and I missed it. 

I also realized I have the special Turkey Day edition of Night of the Blood Beast with the Turkey Day host segments.

I have great contempt for the OJ stuff because I remember the "Just say NO. J.".  I seem to remember them deciding "Hey, you know what we should do?  We should insert a special about ignoring the OJ coverage" and it screwed up one of the last playings of Cave Dwellers so my recording was off and I missed it. 

I also realized I have the special Turkey Day edition of Night of the Blood Beast with the Turkey Day host segments.

I lucked into the TD version of Blood Beast, as CC accidentally showed that one on the Sunday night airing of that same week. 

Nah, to me, the NJN stuff was my bigger nemesis by far as far as not getting complete episodes. 

I saw Joel a few months ago do a PowerPoint presentation about his life and career. It's SO entertaining. He showed a decent amount of his stand-up, on top of getting into MST3K inside baseball. If he's doing this anywhere near you go, go, GO. We also watched The Mole People. I forgot how great that movie is. He had a Q&A afterwards for "VIP" ticket holders who paid a little bit more to meet the guy. But I'm cheap.

I also can't find the link anywhere but I interviewed Joel a few years ago for a website I wrote for. I was on the phone w/ him for about an hour. He was incredibly nice and totally gracious. I told him how MST3K was an early conversation piece among me and my wife's early days and he says he hears that constantly.

So I've been watching random episodes lately, and just happened upon Dr. Forrester's last show.  Kinda surreal.  I seem to always forget that he and Mike were around at the same time very briefly.

Actually, they were on together for 2 1/2 seasons and the movie.  I had forgotten about the reworked season 7 theme (post Frank leaving).

I saw Joel a few months ago do a PowerPoint presentation about his life and career. It's SO entertaining. He showed a decent amount of his stand-up, on top of getting into MST3K inside baseball. If he's doing this anywhere near you go, go, GO. We also watched The Mole People. I forgot how great that movie is. He had a Q&A afterwards for "VIP" ticket holders who paid a little bit more to meet the guy. But I'm cheap.

I also can't find the link anywhere but I interviewed Joel a few years ago for a website I wrote for. I was on the phone w/ him for about an hour. He was incredibly nice and totally gracious. I told him how MST3K was an early conversation piece among me and my wife's early days and he says he hears that constantly.

Him and Jerry Seinfeld did a YouTube video at the diner a few blocks away from my home. 

I met Joel at a Cinematic Titanic show, along with the other CT members/former MST3K cast.  Again, a pleasant experience.  I remember Joel saying that he never watched any of Mike's episodes...

• 2 months later...