DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

1 hour ago, colonial said:

Got an email last night inviting me to buy tickets for the Orlando stop of the MST3K "Time Bubble Tour" in January ...

Tour – The Time Bubble Tour (mst3klive.com)

The tour features Emily Marsh in the "Joel/Mike" role and the following film will be riffed ...

MAKING CONTACT -- the North American cut of the German movie JOEY directed by Roland Emmerich. 

The movie looks amazing.

I went to two shows on the previous tour (Joel’s final tour), when they riffed  NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER and CIRCUS OF HORRORS. Both were terrific experiences, so if you’re thinking about it, I’d encourage you to go.

• 1 month later...

Meanwhile, I had Pluto's MST3K channel on for background noise and Cindy was completely weirded out by Demi Moore showing up in "Master Ninja." 

"What movie is THAT?!?!" ?

This of course led to me explaining the whole Film Ventures deal of repurposing movies/TV shows for overseas markets, including actual good films she's heard of like Marooned. Good times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Meanwhile, I had Pluto's MST3K channel on for background noise and Cindy was completely weirded out by Demi Moore showing up in "Master Ninja." 

"What movie is THAT?!?!" ?

This of course led to me explaining the whole Film Ventures deal of repurposing movies/TV shows for overseas markets, including actual good films she's heard of like Marooned. Good times.

Am I the only person who liked the failed tv show or pilot experiments more than the monster/horror flicks? The Master Ninja experiments are the most remembered of those experiments but San Francisco International, Stranded in Space, Code Name: Diamond Head, and Riding with Death are among my favorite episodes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Am I the only person who liked the failed tv show or pilot experiments more than the monster/horror flicks? The Master Ninja experiments are the most remembered of those experiments but San Francisco International, Stranded in Space, Code Name: Diamond Head, and Riding with Death are among my favorite episodes. 

CODE NAME: DIAMOND HEAD is a lot of fun. Not sure I’ve seen the other ones.

• 2 months later...

Announced For Season 13 during Turkey Day:

MUNCHIE

SANTO IN THE TREASURE OF DRACULA

ROBOWARS

BEYOND ATLANTIS

DOCTOR MORDRID

DEMON SQUAD

GAMERA VS JIGER

THE BATWOMAN

THE MILLION EYES OF SUMARU

H.G. WELLS’ THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME

THE MASK 3D (1961)

THE BUBBLE

THE CHRISTMAS DRAGON

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

Oh man me and MUNCHIE have a history.

When I was a kid I used to watch a movie called MUNCHIES all the time. Munchies was kind of Gremlins/Critters ripoff. I watched Munchies like kid's watch Frozen, as soon as it was over I rewound the tape and started it all over again. And I wanted a sequel so bad. If Gremlins could have a sequel and Critters could have several, why not Munchies? This was, of course, before I got smartened up to the movie industry.

Then MUNCHIE came out. I want to say I heard about it because it was on a calendar of future new releases at the video store.. Just the title. I thought, "No fucking way it's happening."

When we went in that weekend to get it, I was fucking mortified.

The original movie had a box art like this

MV5BYzQ4ZDlkMzItOTRkZS00M2YwLWIyMDItMzg4

MUNCHIE looked like fucking this:

Munchie (1992) - Posters — The Movie Database (TMDb)

Of course I watched it. It was terrible. One of the biggest disappointments ever. BUT IT JUST KEPT COMING BACK. It even got a sequel:  Munchie Strikes Back.  

Years later when I got into collecting DVDs and BluRays I kept hoping some label would put out Munchies. It was one of my grails. And then not to long ago they did.... but not a stand alone disc. A double feature with that Munchie asshole. I still haven't bought it, the pain is just too much. They're not even the same. I hate this movie so much that I'm not even happy that MST3K is riffing on it. Like I'm mad that it gets the spotlight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Have they been doing Full Moon or Empire stuff yet? Interesting seeing Doctor Mordrid on there. Full Moon could pretty much be a gold mine for them. I would suggest Seedpeople first, but Jeffery Combs playing Dr. Strange should work. 

Also I actually saw The Mask in 3D at the local community center as a kid. All I remember is a hallucination or dream sequence that was trippy -- oh, and a giant frog. 

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Have they been doing Full Moon or Empire stuff yet? Interesting seeing Doctor Mordrid on there. Full Moon could pretty much be a gold mine for them. I would suggest Seedpeople first, but Jeffery Combs playing Dr. Strange should work. 

Also I actually saw The Mask in 3D at the local community center as a kid. All I remember is a hallucination or dream sequence that was trippy -- oh, and a giant frog. 

They did Laserblast, which was  pre-Empire, pre-Full Moon Charles Band work, but I believe this is the first proper Full Moon MST riff.

Christmas Dragon was produced by Excel, which is one of the bigwigs of the "Mormon cinema" genre. Unsure if this film digs deep into LDS traditions and the like, but an interesting pick by Joel and company.

• Like 1

I was stoked to imagine them doing the original Things To Come from 1936. Then I remembered this is the remake-in-name-only, and I'm not sure if this is going to be even better or not.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Full schedule of this year’s Gizmo events:

Spoiler
  • Santo in the Treasure of Dracula premieres March 4th 2022 at 8pm est, with Live Aftershow and Discussion

• A Tribute to Manos premieres March 18th 2022 at 8pm est, with a screening of the MST3K Manos: The Hands of Fate episode, the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• Robot Wars premieres April 1st 2022 at 8pm est, with live aftershow and discussion

• Special Event #2 premieres April 15th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• Beyond Atlantis premieres April 29th 2022, with live aftershow and discussion

• Special Event #3 premieres May 13th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• Munchie premieres May 27th 2022, with live aftershow and discussion

• Doctor Mordrid premieres June 10th 2022, with live aftershow and discussion

• Demon Squad premieres June 24th 2022, with live aftershow and discussion

• Special Event #4 premieres July 8th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• Gamera vs. Jiger premieres July 22nd 2022, with live aftershow and discussion

• Special Event #5 premieres August 5th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• The Batwoman premieres August 19th 2022, with live aftershow and discussion

• The Million Eyes of Sumuru premieres September 2nd 2022, with live aftershow and discussion

• Special Event #6 premieres September 16th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• H. G. Wells’ The Shape of Things to Come premieres September 30th 2022, with live aftershow and Discussion

• Special Event #7 premieres October 14th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• The Mask 3D premieres October 28th 2022, with live aftershow and Discussion

• The Bubble premieres November 11th 2022, with live aftershow and Discussion

• Special Event #8 premieres December 13th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• Special Event #9 premieres December 14th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• Special Event #10 premieres December 15th 2022, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• The Christmas Dragon premieres December 16th 2022, with live aftershow and Discussion

• Special Event #11 premieres January 6th 2023, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• Special Event #12 premieres January 20th 2023, with the premiere of a new short and live aftershow and Discussion

• Special Event #13 premieres February 3rd 2023, with the premiere of a new short (possibly a mistake since there are only supposed to be 12 shorts) and live aftershow and Discussion

• Special Event #14 premieres February 17th 2023, with the premiere of a new short (possibly a mistake since there are only supposed to be 12 shorts) and live aftershow and Discussion

Spoilers for size.

20 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Did I miss the Gizmoplex's launch?

Kind of! You can go to Gizmoplex.com or download the MST3K app. If you’re a backer, they should email you the appropriate links, or you can check the kickstarter page. If you’re not a backer, I don’t think you can sign up until May.

“Most of wrestling is just different kinds of hugs.” — Crow T. Robot

SANTO IN THE TREASURE OF DRACULA had some great riffs. The host segments weren’t great, except for Jonah as Mean Gene and Crow and Servo as duelling wrestlers trying to out-compliment each other.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Season passes are up.  $150 for the season and access to everything or $50 for 3 months...

Can I drop $150 at the same time I'm dropping $110 for baseball...

Yeah. It’s expensive. At least the latest announcement states that you’ll be able to stream all available MST3K episodes for free (initially ad free, then ad-supported).