DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

45 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

I really like Reptilicus, but it sounds like one guy riffing. They should have had Felicia Day be the host because it would have been a distinct voice.

But then we'd miss out on seeing Felicia Day dominate and emasculate a fat nerd...which is both a deep-seated fantasy of many in the key demo and a cosmic nirvana of shoot comments not meant to be shoot comments.

• Like 1

Reptilicus was ok but the jokes seemed ot all be to stepping on one another without giving each other room to breathe so to speak. I can live without flying Tom Servo, it just distracts me. By the time The Wife and I got to Avalanche moist of my criticisms ere melted away (though I think Felicia Day and Jonah Wray remain the weak parts of the show).  I think Patton Oswalt has been perfect as Max/TVs Son of TVs Frank. If there is one complaint that sticks out is that there isn't enough of a personality differential between Servo and Crow (yeah, I miss classically trained actor Crow).

James

So we have two Ib Melchier movies in a row, with the second of those interlocking with a mini-series of two movies in a row featuring Steve "Chatsworth Osborne Jr. from The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" Franken.

What beguiling patterns are you demons weaving for me??????

Also Avalanche features one of my favorite awesome old ladies ever: Jeanette Nolan

Read about Jeanette Nolan here!!!

• Like 1

I'm only on Time Travelers, but for some reason, I completly lost my shit for the Jolly Raccoon skit during Cry Wilderness.

I know I'm only 3 episodes in, but is there a payoff to Gypsy dropping whatever that picnic basket is in the beginning of the movie then showing up during the last segment to pick it back up, or is it just random?  I've seen it all 3 episodes so far.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:19 PM, Control said:

There was a gag about object permanence in THE BEAST OF HOLLOW MOUNTAIN which I found far funnier than I should have.

About 30 seconds after that they dropped a Better off Dead quote that got me the same way.

And it was already the 2nd Better off Dead quote.

There must've been something I'm missing.  But whenever Gypsey came in during the movie segments, she'd be carrying some box in her mouth.  I must've missed the transition, but what was the box for and why was she coming in to set it down?  Was she dropping them some equipment or something?  Was she tinkering?  

I liked Gypsy's new voice and she did pop in with some good jokes now and again.  I especially liked it when she noted during Beast of Hollow Mountain of "first time of death by strangulation by a T-Rex."

Still stuck on the first two episodes due to our impending move, but everyone is sleeping on the Frank Nelson running gag from Reptilicus. "YEEEEEESSSSSSS?" 

Reptilicus didn't do it for me. Jonah, while I'm surprised how well his nice-guy character works during the skits, can fall into that aggravating modern-nerd mush mouth when he's trying to squeeze an overlong riff in before the next bit of dialogue kicks in. Doesn't this dude make his money on what's essentially the radio? As I am a TRAIN-ED ACTORRR, his poor diction bothers me a good bit. But that ties into the problem of "too many riffs", which I think every review has mentioned.

Still. The very next episode, I finally had that moment where everything clicked and it felt just like watching the old stuff. Somewhere between stories of a young boy bonding with Bigfoot over Coca-Cola and rock 'n roll and the Samuel Taylor Coleridge albatross riff it all felt like home again. It's also been a good mix of genres. Weren't the Sci-Fi years kinda... sci-fi heavy? Avalanche felt like such a nice departure. I don't remember another movie that was quite that star-studded. Plus, y'know, there was that part with the avalanche.

I am far from the first person to say this, but man, Time Travelers is just excruciating even with riffs.  There are a few fun-bad scenes like the inexplicable music performance/makeout, but it's just so boring that getting to those is a chore.

Before watching the new episodes, the final original-flavour MST3K was Manhunt in Space, and I kept thinking back to the 'Space' host segment every time they'd randomly throw the name Reptilicus into a riff. Fortunately, Cry Wilderness was filled with "laughing so hard I off to pause and rewind after missing riffs" moments that all is well.

Just noting that during the final mad scene after STARCRASH the band was playing an uptempo cover of "Will there still be a clown in the Sky for me."

Also when the lady in the movie "ejected" from her ship by jumping out a window, that was the legit funniest non-riff moment in any MST3K movie ever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, piranesi said:

Just noting that during the final mad scene after STARCRASH the band was playing an uptempo cover of "Will there still be a clown in the Sky for me."

They play WILD REBELS! during "Time Travelers." I need to go back and see what other music they play during the breaks.