DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

On 4/9/2017 at 10:44 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Is there any particular reason the thread title now thinks I am stupid?  I don't recall doing anything to upset the thread.

Did you just answer your own question?

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

This feels like blasphemy but MST3K really hasn't aged well for me. I think a lot of it is access and the fact that we've evolved (or devolved) into a society that's all about responding to things. You get reaction videos about everything under the sun on youtube and that's generally what kids are consuming these days. My teenager seems far more likely to watch a reaction video to something than the thing itself. When you add in how self-referential we are, it's like the whole world has become MST3K. Between that and the sheer amount of choice and access to things we have now, it makes it hard for me to sit through the old episodes now. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I might enjoy a couple of minutes here and there but I can't imagine sitting through a whole episode. That's sort of how MST3K was best, just as something you'd put on and enjoy the riffing with because there wasn't anything else on. I'm not sure how well it works in a world where there's always something else on, where everything is a geeky in-joke, and where there's two-minute bites of mockery everywhere.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2017 at 7:02 PM, piranesi said:

The soundtrack to Starcrash is going to be my only jam for the next week.  It is amazing while at the same time managing to sound like the score to any random episode of BANACEK.

It's by John Barry who scored 14 Bond movies and won two Oscars.

I could not help but notice it was made by New World Pictures, so in a sense it is a Marvel movie. 

Watched the first episode and I'm kind of in the middle. I thought alot of the jokes landed really well, and I liked the "Monster Rap". HATE the new Gypsy, and the added special effects in the theater bug me.  Noticed that the riffing is a big more manic than we are used to. More "making fun of the movie" type jokes as opposed to "making fun of what's happening in the movie". But like I said, I laughed at a bunch of the jokes and will keep going. Not bad for a first episode, but not perfect if you are a longtime fan.

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Pop for the first cameo.

Hide contents

ERIN GRAY! Where has she been the last 40 years?

Pretty happy with the first episode, if these are sequential, I'm sure they'll start to find a grove.  I saw the line up and that Yongary is in the pipe and am suitably psyched as a kaiju fan.

RE: Erin: I think she was on Tabletop with Wil recently.  

I can't believe a little thing like the voices are bothering me so much. It's not just that they're all nearly identical, it's that they're so bland. Tom Servo's voice used to be so distinct, dark and syrupy...mmmmm.  And crow's flat nasally voice, high-pitched captured his enthusiastic personality so much. Joel's voice is one of the most memorable in history. And Mike's accent was like an instant visual of his dumb Wisconson-y life.

Also, I am a bitch.

Like "this thing that dozens of people worked on in order to make it just exactly what I wanted to the best of their ability and have basically given me for free in an attempt to make me feel nice is not entirely up to my expectations in terms of sound-design." That much of a bitch.

But...stilllllllll......

• Like 2

"If we hang back we can collect the XP when they kill Reptilicus!" Fucking died. 

I liked a lot of the first episode. The voices are going to take some getting used to as everyone sounds too identical to each other... and they need to let a lot of the riffs breathe more than they are. But yeah, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Pro Tip: The closed captioning identifies who is saying each riff.

Sub Pro Tip:  They do get it wrong sometimes.

I liked Cry Wilderness more than Reptilicus.  I think the riffs are a bit tighter.  This movie is also really terrible and kind of reminds me of Pod People in that involves the wilderness and a furry creature and an annoying kid.

Contains a visit from Grandma Pearl, Brain Guy and Professor Bobo.  It also introduces Synthia who was sort of in the back ground of episode 1,  She doubles as the voice of Gypsy and is a clone of Pearl.

I loved the riff about non-native animals made with the birds as in most American movies, you aren't allowed to use indigenous species.  The bird that claws out big game hunter guy I think is an African Fish Eagle and the other injured bird may have been a harpy eagle.

This movie is also bananas because it looks like they just went to random national parks to shoot.  One part looks like Mono Lake in California but I don't know if they just filmed in Northern California or really moved all over for this.

• Like 1

Wondering: Can everyone listed in the credits of this episode for having donated now set up an IMDB page for themselves as

Piranesi...............................................2017

Mystery Science theater 3000 (TV Series)

Reptilicus (2017)....Himself

Asking for a friend with self-image issues.

9 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Wondering: Can everyone listed in the credits of this episode for having donated now set up an IMDB page for themselves as

Piranesi...............................................2017

Mystery Science theater 3000 (TV Series)

Reptilicus (2017)....Himself

Asking for a friend with self-image issues.

Will this be your picture?

s-l300.jpg