DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

My personal favorite episode is The Starfighters which was ranked way too low at #149. To me that is the episode that showcases the true genius of MST3K. That movie gives them NOTHING. Refueling and poopie suits, that's it and they make it hilarious. To this day when my friend Mike and I hang out, one of us will randomly sing out "Kaboom kaboom, YADADADADADA! " or "We're gonna bomb em back to the Jazz Age!" Plus it has the "Cowboy Mike’s Original Red-Hot Ricochet BBQ Sauce" host segment that is a top 5 for me (nothing and I mean nothing will beat the Rip Taylor Trio or the wedding of Tom and Crow).

26 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

My personal favorite episode is The Starfighters which was ranked way too low at #149. To me that is the episode that showcases the true genius of MST3K. That movie gives them NOTHING. Refueling and poopie suits, that's it and they make it hilarious. To this day when my friend Mike and I hang out, one of us will randomly sing out "Kaboom kaboom, YADADADADADA! " or "We're gonna bomb em back to the Jazz Age!" Plus it has the "Cowboy Mike’s Original Red-Hot Ricochet BBQ Sauce" host segment that is a top 5 for me (nothing and I mean nothing will beat the Rip Taylor Trio or the wedding of Tom and Crow).

To speak nothing of the United Servo Academy Men's Chorus! 

Teenage Caveman is one of my faves and it's ranked even lower (#159), which speaks to how wonderfully varied the entire series can be. You won't get an identical top-10 list from anyone because there's so much genius around the horn from top to bottom. 

My personal triple feature would be The Starfighters, Mitchell and Squirm! My three to get people into the show would be Giant Spider Invasion, Hobgoblins and Attack of The The Eye Creatures.

Off the top of my head, i would pick a godzilla movie for newbies, since they already are familiar with the tropes of thise movies.

I think my own triple feature would be a cheat, since i would rather watch more shorts (catching trouble, mr b natural, here comes the circus) than a whole picture. Otherwise, it would probably be sinbad, mitchell and santa claus. 

Having an MST3K episode with Richard Lynch in it was a necessity, so WEREWOLF is essential viewing.

And here's an old interview where Richard Lynch talks about taking LSD and setting himself on fire. (note: he did this while he was tripping with Don Calfa).

On 3/18/2017 at 7:27 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I never saw that one so I watched it last night. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

And Overdrawn At The Memory Bank is chock full of delicious CanCon. Maurey Chaykin! That guy from Polka Dot Door insulting anteaters! The surly old bald-headed guy from the Wayne & Schuster specials playing a gangster! Oh, so Canadian.

On 3/19/2017 at 0:45 AM, odessasteps said:

Off the top of my head, i would pick a godzilla movie for newbies, since they already are familiar with the tropes of thise movies.

I think my own triple feature would be a cheat, since i would rather watch more shorts (catching trouble, mr b natural, here comes the circus) than a whole picture. Otherwise, it would probably be sinbad, mitchell and santa claus. 

Godzilla vs Megalon is chock full of wackiness. Gamera vs Zigra could work too (Ray can attest to my love for the actual movie theme).

When i made a five minute tape to show along with a paper i wrote in grad school, i tried to go heavy on the breadth of references. Gags i rmemebr from it:

"even george s kaufmann got a prize" - Junior Rodeo Daredevils

"dont talk about our clown, martha" "Dag Hammerskold on the trapeze" - Here Comes the Circus

also, the part from Catching Trouble when they apologize to the audience.