DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

And in the final standings, they've not only managed to raise enough for the 12 episodes, but they managed to surpass Veronica Mars' Kickstarter. Which means there'll be a 13th holiday episode. And the best part of that is when they passed it, and Joel had no idea it'd happen, because he was vamping on stage elsewhere. He was literally told on camera in the next segment.

• 2 months later...

Rifftrax is launching their 2016 Kickstarter. One of their events is in June, which'll be an MST3K reunion in Minnesota. Trace, Frank, Mary Jo, and Bridget Nelson are already booked to appear, and invitations have been sent to the new cast as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went to the Rifftrax/MST3K Reunion and it was 2 hours of me and The Wife laughing non-stop. We've already decided we are going to the next Rifftrax LIV event simply because they are doing Mothra. Any fears or concerns I had about Jonah Ray have been somewhat allayed for now as he proved to be pretty funny. Best shorts from last night were... oh lord I can't decide, they were all hilarious!

James

• 4 weeks later...

Updated MST3K return news:

New writers: Dan Harmon (was formely listed as guest writer) & Joel McHale
Returning writers: Bill Corbett & Mary Jo Pehl
Returning performers: Corbett (Brain Guy), Pehl (Pearl), Kevin Murphy (Bobo)  as guest stars.

The new MST3K season will be on Netflix.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Protip: If you get a late start it looks like you can start the youtube video anywhere.  It's one stream.  It will probably disappear when the whole thing is done so you might not be able to time-shift the whole thing.  But you can at least click around to see the new inserts with Joel.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If you were a kickstarter backer at $35+, they just released two of the missing three KTMA episodes yesterday. They're in line with the rest of the KTMAs (as in, very improv-based), so if you don't like the KTMA episodes you probably won't like these either. But for nerds like me who hoped these episodes would finally surface, well... it's been a good weekend so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love that I have alot of friends jumping into the series for the first time right now, with the uploads on Netflix. Got people asking me for recommendations and such, it's pretty great.  I do find it funny that everyone ignored MST3K being available on Netflix in the past, as well as Hulu and Amazon Prime, though.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Paste Magazine just did a comprehensive ranking of every MST3K episode from worst to best. All 177 (that's ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SEVEN) episodes. Long, interesting read.

His number one is my number one.  Which is odd/awesome.

• Like 1

The main take away is that once you get to the "165th best episode of MST3K" or so you are already talking about some of the greatest t.v. of all time.

Like, you can put them in order.  Sure HAMLET is not as fun to watch as ALIEN FROM L.A. but it's basically

1-40 Tie for 1st place.  All of these are the best ever.

41-150 Tie for 41st place. All of these are so fucking good.

151-160 tie for 151st place. A few that weren't quite as funny

161-177 tie for last place. some early ones

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DEAN said:

His number one is my number one.  Which is odd/awesome.

Y'all have no idea how hard it is to choose a #1 episode. I imagine it's like having to choose a favorite child. Mine is somewhere in the middle of the list, give or take 5-10 places.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Am I the only one who feels like Manos isn't a great episode? It's one of those, where the movie is SO bad, they have trouble making it funny.

Agreed, although the live Rifftrax was pretty damn great.

• Like 3

I'm happy that Teenagers from Outer Space did so well.  I have a soft spot for a lot of the shitty Japanese movies so I'm disappointed some of the  Gamera, Godzilla and Fugitive Alien placements.  Surprised some of the season 7 placements so high, I remember kind of being underwelmed by some of them, maybe I need to revisit.

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I gave up early into the sci fi years. And im honestly not too fond of a lot of the mike era. My list would very joel heavy, except for santa claus.

My wife is a Mike fan and I'm a big Joel fan.  Mike seems maybe too happy for this kind of thing yet Joel's demeanor was way more suited for this.

I saw Manos recently and for a lot of love it gets I can't say it's one of my favorites.  It's good but something about it didn't gel with me.  My all-time favorite is Eegah! and I'm delighted to see it at 17.  Riffing on Archie Hall, Jr.'s character while a horny caveman is on a quest for the female lead makes for one helluva time.  And to this day we'll still do a deadpan "Tequila..." if we hear that song or something like it.