DVDVR Message Board

Hap & Leonard

OSJ

Is no one watching this???? A superb adaptation of Joe Lansdale's novels. If it weren't for Better Call Saul, I'd say this is the best thing on TV that doesn't feature a skeletal wrestler breaking peoples' arms...

The fact that it's on Sundance probably has a lot to do with the low profile.  No one watched that channel.  (Unfortunately, because they have made some really good shows.)

H&L looks right up my alley (I need a new backwoods crime drama to fill my JUSTIFIED fix), but I haven't been able to catch up to it yet.

Episode 5 only further proves why having a gas stove is better than having an electric. Also I think the major standout for me is Purefoy as Hap. I've always liked Purefoy but he usually is put in the brutish man of action type of role. Here he plays a simple mand with a very real sweetness to him who is put in a terrible situation. He's been the guy in this that makes me want this show to get a second season.

James

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

Episode 5 only further proves why having a gas stove is better than having an electric. Also I think the major standout for me is Purefoy as Hap. I've always liked Purefoy but he usually is put in the brutish man of action type of role. Here he plays a simple mand with a very real sweetness to him who is put in a terrible situation. He's been the guy in this that makes me want this show to get a second season.

James

I've only watched one watched one and a half episodes and i want this to have at least 3 seasons.

• 11 months later...

Nice to see the show starting to get some legs, it's so faithful to the source material as to be incredible. Great to finally see Joe Lansdale having success on both big (Bubba Ho-Tep) and small (Hap & Leonard) screens. The success is deserved, Joe's good people. You could do much worse than having an anthology series featuring nothing but adaptations of his short stories.

On 3/16/2017 at 7:03 PM, driver said:

Watching the second ep. of the new season now. So far, so good.

Wait, SECOND ep? How's that possible? Did you make a mistake or is the whole season on Netflix or something already?

I really need to get some of Lansdale's stuff. His connection to David Schow, who I just finished reading a pile of, is enough along with Hap and Leonard. 

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, SECOND ep? How's that possible? Did you make a mistake or is the whole season on Netflix or something already?

I really need to get some of Lansdale's stuff. His connection to David Schow, who I just finished reading a pile of, is enough along with Hap and Leonard. 

Dude... They always have next week's episode available for a sneak peak... Anyway, here's your Lansdale hook-up, www.goldengryphon.com all of their books will reflect a 50% discount when you go to purchase. The first Lansdale collection, High Cotton is sold out, but you can likely find one on abebooks.com for close to cover price. Pretty much if you have High Cotton and Bumper Crop you have the best of Joe's short fiction. Goes without saying that the Hap & Leonard novels are well worth getting, but make sure that you don't miss out on The Drive In 1 & 2. Totally fuckin deranged and I mean that in the best way possible. So anyway, Bumper Crop is a mere $12.50 for a nice hardcover edition. Just checked on abebooks.com and copies of High Cotton can be had for less than twenty bucks. There's also a trade paperback for under ten bucks. FWIW: Golden Gryphon managed to put together one of the most solid runs of modern sf and fantasy of any publisher, and best of all, regular hardcover editions were all $20-$25 and there's really not a single one that isn't worth reading. I'd start with the collections by Robert Reed, James Patrick Kelly, and George Zebrowski along with The Fiction Factory by Jack Dann. Jack is a phenomenal writer/editor and TFF is a collection of nothing but collaborations with other authors, just excellent stuff.

Thanx OSJ! Of course I already fucked up and ordered three records on and after payday so I'll have to parcel out my spending but I'll def. pick up the ones you recommended, probably next week. I always go for short fiction first so the collections will probably be my targets. I went Googling and Amazon has a copy of Bumper Crop for over a grand if you can believe that nonsense. In any case fuck Amazon for their recent mistakes, I'll go through your sources. 

Okay, we need a regular reminder that Hap and Leonard is coming on because I only caught the end of the replay and I'm pissed. AND the Sundance website won't let me watch the show! 

Also, thanks to OSJ, I just ordered High Cotton and Bumper Crop on Abe Books for little over 20 bones on hardcover. You are a gentleman and a scholar, my friend.