DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] FINAL 4: MIL MUERTES vs BAYLEY

RIPPA

[MM16] FINAL 4 - MIL MUERTES vs. BAYLEY  

126 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

And hey, I get the notion about creepy neckbeards going nuts over Bayley.  But we're also forgetting there's also creepy neckbeards who go nuts over Catrina and her licking.  As much as we like to think we're above seeing women in wrestling that way, yes we are all like this.  It can be okay, we're human, as long as you don't go overboard (you know, like posting ass screenshots or gifs of Alexa's butt)

I know it's final four in MM and people on both sides are using any tactic they can.  But I'd like to think we can actually discuss shit that's relevant to the topic at hand.  And that's in this voting period who had the better year.  Who is the better wrestler, who was presented better, who had the most impact, and who connected the best with their fanbase.

As far as better wrestler, I'd say Bayley by far.  Muertes held his own, but Bayley managed to get good matches out of those that shouldn't have had good matches (Eva, Carmella, etc) and made them seem like they belonged.  And with the ones that can put on good matches she was outstanding.  It's easy to overrate this and I'm guilty of that, but Bayley brought tons to the big matches.  And on top of that if Breaking Ground's to be believed she can be trusted to put together good matches for others.

For presentation, I'd give it to Mil.  LU did a fantastic job making him this ungodly monster who crushes fools.  For crying out loud, he killed the bands and put their skulls on his throne, what's not to love!  Banderas is right for the role and deserves credit for making Mil what he is.  But at the end of the day it's LU coming up with a helluva gimmick and presenting him in a ridiculously awesome way.

As for most impact I'd go with Bayley.  She has connected with nearly every facet of the WWE fanbase.  Kids look up to her and adore her, and parents love that as well.  Jaded wrestling fans have freely admitted to tearing up during various moments like her title win.  The whole Divas Revolution thing was fake as fuck on the main roster, but in NXT it was completely organic and it's fair to say that Bayley and Sasha raised the bar quite high.  And if she can do this with this audience imagine when she's called up.  Barring any booking calamity she can very well have a similar fanbase to Cena, and unlike him will get more cheers.  As for connecting with the fanbase, it's a tie honestly.  They both connect well with the fanbase, it's just different characters geared toward different fans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Especially when this board is full of wrestling fans AND EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ONE OF THEM IS CREEPY!

Thats why I believe Sasha will have the best chance to stop Bayley.  The people with good taste will vote Sasha and the mildly creepy people will split their vote.  

The question then becomes, are there enough super creepy votes to counteract the other demographics?  I'm not sure.  Time will tell.

In all seriousness, I am excited for this potential final if Sasha can hang on.  Interesting scenario considering their best from the time period is with each other.

I think how you viewed that Brooklyn match will go a long way in deciding who you vote for.  Was it Bayley's story that made it special or was it Sasha's chance, on the verge of a call-up, to prove herself in front of a huge crowd?  I was invested in that match because of the tiny, viscous, hand-stomping heel who bumps around like a maniac on a frame that is clearly not meant for such a things.

In my mind, Bayley's story was secondary to Sasha's greatness.

I don't like Bayley's offense.

Maybe it is years of the Belly to Belly slam being a move used by big guys who could not pop their hips to turn it into the immensely better belly to belly suplex, but that move as a finisher will never convince of anything and I actually bought the F-U/Attitude Adjustment as a finisher because it at least was not the typical fireman's carry slam where you dropped to the knees and yanked the dude over. Then it's her Frankensteiner which yeah, Rey Mysterio used all of the time, but for me, that should be a last resort move and not apart of her general repertoire. I hated when Daniel Bryan started doing it to start his comeback sequence on a semi-regular basis or any move from the top rope that was not the Spider-back suplex(that was awesome and smart) should be like a high tension last ditch go for broke move.  And her back elbow and spear corner thing is something people her size and temperament should never use. The only things I like in her offense set are the poison rana and maybe the German Suplex which looks like it hurts more than her finisher. Her offense takes away a lot of the tension in her matches because when she inevitably makes her babyface comeback, she no sells parts of her offense that should have been sold(the poison rana from Takeover Brooklyn is one of the most glaring examples). And yeah, if she wasn't in the WWE, this would not matter, but she is and story telling is extremely integral and I expect better from her.

Mil Muertes is limited because of his gimmick is what makes him great and unique. Not his actual wrestling. I don't necessary take that as a negative. It just shows that booking can make anyone the star. It just takes the right type of booking and character. This is a lesson that the WWE needs to be reminded of instead of trying to create people in a certain mold. Muertes is what happens when you let comic book writers book shows and it is awesome. He is literally Shao Kahn and Dr Doom and it is so overtly evil that it is awesome. He is a callback to the old days when wrestling used to be fun and wacky because it captured your imagination instead of being cluttered with shoddy hashtags and corporate meddling. And yeah, I love the Attitude era, but we all love the Undertaker over Big Evil and the American Badass. So while outside a few matches that were awesome because of the overall symbolism and meaning, Mil Muertes feels larger than life and intimidating. He exudes intimidation.

• Like 1

Yeah, but Vic was always halfway on the edge anyway. We could have just started ripping Demolition in the monthly discussion thread and achieved the same result. 

3 minutes ago, Chicken Sandwich Carl said:

I think Bayley had a better year.

Also, I've been sick and I literally have a neck beard at the moment. Is my neck beard forcing me to this pick? Is that why my recent eBay searches have all be for fedoras and Equestria Girls? Why are all of my t-shirts suddenly so Ill-fitting?

Even if you are a brony(not saying you are), it does not diminish that Bayley had a great year and you'd be no more right if you voted her over Mil than I would be voting Mil over her. 

...but if Young Metro don't trust you...

3 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Even if you are a brony(not saying you are), it does not diminish that Bayley had a great year and you'd be no more right if you voted her over Mil than I would be voting Mil over her. 

I'm a mid-thirties father of two from Iowa who works in finance that hangs out on wrestling message boards all day and barely understands modern hip hop references despite being the guy eulogizing Phife Dog on Facebook.

I barely trust me; ain't a shot in hell Young Metro trusts me.

(Also not really a brony; but I do like Bayley a lot.)

Seriously, the idea that Bayley's entire adult male fanbase is just creepy men that want to fuck her baffles me because I feel zero sexual attraction to her. Just none. 

Sasha... Okay Sasha is hot as fuck. But so are a ton of other women I wouldn't dream of voting for this deep into the tournament.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Sasha... Okay Sasha is hot as fuck. But so are a ton of other women I wouldn't dream of voting for this deep into the tournament.

Yeah I don't think anyone is voting based on looks, these women really are that talented.

What the heck is a brony?

17 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Thought Sasha would be the choice of Bronies, as it's pretty clear she's the Jimmy Jam Garvin of the New Day.