DVDVR Message Board

MMA Becomes Legal In All Fifty States; NY State Lifts 19 Year Ban

Elsalvajeloco

On the conference call last night, Lorenzo is promising four events in New York state within the next two years. I think the reason why the UFC is probably noncommittal about a specific date at MSG yet in the fall is that basketball schedule for the next season isn't out yet. However, it's more than likely that the first show will be at Madison Square Garden. If they can do that show early enough in last quarter of the year, they will probably squeeze in another event. It would probably be one in Albany, Utica, Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse. Maybe they try to get Brooklyn out of the way and do Barclays Center after the show at the Garden.

• 3 weeks later...

Governor Cuomo will sign the MMA bill tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. EST at MSG. UFC execs will be there.

The bill take effect on the 1st day of the first month after the 120 days following the governor signing the bill. So a professional MMA show can happen as soon as September 1, 2016. New York State has four months and some change to get their shit together.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Governor Cuomo will sign the MMA bill tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. EST at MSG. UFC execs will be there.

The bill take effect on the 1st day of the first month after the 120 days following the governor signing the bill. So a professional MMA show can happen as soon as September 1, 2016. New York State has four months and some change to get their shit together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BELyCjnChoy/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sterling rocking the Dookie chain is the best.

Anyway, the UFC is officially holding a show at MSG on 11/12.

I do not understand how anyone could not like AlJo, fantastic fighter with a great personality. I cannot wait to watch him put Caraway to sleep. 

• Like 2

Ryan Gerbosi ‏@RyanGerbosi 3h3 hours ago Manhattan, NY

While Lorenzo Fertitta announced show at MSG today, he told me #UFC is in talks with other venues, including Yankee Stadium for next summer.

If they end up doing a show at Yankee Stadium and do over 20,272 (the attendance of Cotto vs. Yuri Foreman), Bob Arum might kill himself.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ryan Gerbosi ‏@RyanGerbosi 3h3 hours ago Manhattan, NY

While Lorenzo Fertitta announced show at MSG today, he told me #UFC is in talks with other venues, including Yankee Stadium for next summer.

If they end up doing a show at Yankee Stadium and do over 20,272 (the attendance of Cotto vs. Yuri Foreman), Bob Arum might kill himself.

"if"

Although Foreman's walk-out from that night (shofar horn into Pantera's "Walk") might be a tough act to follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

"if"

Although Foreman's walk-out from that night (shofar horn into Pantera's "Walk") might be a tough act to follow.

The "if" was more for the former than the latter of course. A big part of "card subject to change" now is the venue. It depends heavily on what's available at that time and what scale of event they can do. If they feel do a show at Yankee Stadium, then they will do one. UFC 198 came together because the UFC felt they could create a card that would revitalize that market. However, if they feel a card is more suitable for an arena in NYC or upstate NY, then that's what they will do. In addition, they always feel more confident doing Vegas because it's their home market, they can make maximum profit, and it's easier in terms of logistics. I think what helps out NYC in this case is it's more tourist friendly (especially for the international contingent the UFC draws) than a lot of other places they could possibly do a big stadium show. That makes it much easier to build a card than feel like you're forced to stack an event. It would make more sense to see a card at Yankee Stadium that looks like 198 than a 189 or 194. They can do well there without having to allocate every single resource.

• 1 month later...

NYSAC executive director David Berlin was basically forced to step down from his position and is being replaced by Eric Bentley.

The gist of the situation is Berlin was not a fan of the new insurance mandate signed into law by Gov. Cuomo on 4/14. Basically, combat sports promoters have to post a million dollar bond to cover medical, surgical, and hospital care expenses. This would basically only allow top promoters who would be able to cover that to run New York state.

Boxing people are scared this will run boxing shows out of NYS almost completely.

This is also a big shakeup as people were confident Berlin was the person to help successfully transition MMA into New York.

It is interesting that the new insurance thing was something that the UFC lobbied for and Cuomo was gladly to sign off on.

However, all the shows based in NJ and the tri-state area that were planning to make a play for New York are probably going to be ass out. I mean does Lou Neglia do something like that? More importantly, will a company like WSOF who made the investment in NY but is still hemorrhaging money try to do a show in NYS? If the people covering the sport are telling the truth about WSOF looking to New York to spark interest in them, it would seem like suicide to put up $3 to $4 million not counting purses, production, marketing, etc. for shows that might draw less than 2k in attendance. 

1 hour ago, Shawn411 said:

So, what you are saying is that UFC and Bellator can only afford to run in New York?

Yes, but it probably won't stop WSOF from trying to save face and doing it anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

According to Tyron Woodley, a fight with GSP in the works for UFC 205.

How things change in MMA. We go from a potential GSP vs. Robbie Lawler fight to GSP vs. Woodley. Lawler loses out having dropped the UFC Welterweight Championship to Woodley at UFC 201.

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

How things change in MMA. We go from a potential GSP vs. Robbie Lawler fight to GSP vs. Woodley. Lawler loses out having dropped the UFC Welterweight Championship to Woodley at UFC 201.

I would love to see Lawler fight Nick Diaz, but Diaz has said he has no interest in the fight since Lawler is coming off a loss. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shawn411 said:

Was GSP scared of Lawler?

What's funny is Woodley is probably a less favorable matchup for GSP. I think GSP is a great fighter and all, but I think it was going to be very difficult either way (whether it was Lawler or Woodley) just because the level of fighting at the top of the welterweight division is so do or die now. People originally thought when GSP left that it was going to be that same type of situation you have now with the trio of Lima, Koreshkov, and whatever is left of the Bellator welterweight division when Askren wasn't re-signed. That it was going to be title fights for the sake of title fights. In actuality, every title fight in the post GSP world has been eventful if not very eventful simply because the talent level is high (if not higher since GSP left). When he left, it's not like he was on the tippity top of his game. I respect that he is one of the very best ever to do it. However, if GSP was so much better than everyone else, very few people would be in tune with how good it has been since he left. Somehow, the idea of GSP just rolling back in and taking over has somehow grown larger. I expect it to grow larger now with Woodley as champion, which is weird because he knocked out a guy who hadn't been stopped that way in twelve years. Give the guy the credit he deserves.

I am not saying GSP was scared of Robbie, but I think even he realizes it's not going to be that easy. These dudes have been facing the very best since UFC 167 while he has been chilling, doing films, and cornering people here and there. Even for a fighter like Woodley, who was out of the cage himself for awhile, you have to at least think the punching power would give GSP some real pause. We haven't even factored in that Woodley is a very good wrestler himself. People need to understand and accept, especially with all the title changes and upsets, that realistically the gap existing between GSP and other top welterweights isn't going to be the same and may not even be a thing anymore.

• Like 1