DVDVR Message Board

Labor Day Raw (2 September Raw for everyone else)

Dolfan in NYC

I didn't watch the full show yet. But in terms of everyone yelling and screaming about it being three weeks -- it's also the end of a holiday weekend where a lot of people travel. (Hence why I didn't watch the show live.) Why have Bryan get the upper hand for the first time on a show where you'll naturally have less viewers?

-Bryan is receiving louder and more sustained pops now than he was prior to the Cena match

-Cody cut a money face promo and will return to help Bryan

-Big Show has gained sympathy and had people actually chanting his name

-Titus appears to be front and center of a possible revolution

-Ziggler is bumping around in handicap matches and appears to be in line as someone who will also assist Bryan

-Orton is fresh again  

-Shield are still world beaters and pushed back to the top of the card

Yeah, the angle is helping nobody.

• Like 11

Highly doubt they set out with the intention of burying everyone involved with the final segment, but that's what happened.  I've really enjoyed all of this angle up to now, but this was just terrible.  They completely lost the crowd and then just kept making it worse.  None of it really made sense.....Bryan and Show's backstage promo was bad.....I didn't understand why they were working the match they way they did where Show was just completely dominating Bryan.....the guy who can practically beat the Shield by himself and has beaten Show several times....and Show hasn't been booked like nearly that level of monster in a while.......this was complete shit.  And it makes no sense for Show to be overacting the way he was.  Why do you care so much about Daniel Bryan? 

I also loved that they brought up the ironclad contract in the show opening segment, then promptly ignored it for the rest of the show.  And now Big Show is supposedly broke?!  Just like HBK was broke I guess.

complete shit

the rest of the show wasn't too bad.  I liked all the stuff with Cody, it put him over big and the crowd was digging it, and if they do a Midnight Rider gimmick it will be awesome.  Cody and Orton had a good match, I thought RVD/Sandow was a decent match, and I liked how they were hyping up Edge being on next week's show as a big deal.  CM Punk's promo was money.

• Like 3

I don't need Big Show crying this much on my tv.

He does cry at the drop of a pin.  The thing is, he's starting so early and so intense that he doesn't have much room to crescendo.

It's like, "Hey, Big Show, can you just wrestle this one guy even though you kind of like him?"

Posted Image

NOOOOOOOOOOOGODKILLME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Holy fucking shit I hope this ends up with Cody Rhodes doing a Big Bill Haywood gimmick, walking around backstage with a patch over his eye, sabotaging the sound trucks, organizing for the OBU, while Ricardo follows him around playing "Which Side Are You On?" on a guitar.  

• Like 2

I must say the people asking for a slow burn are forgetting an important detail: there fucking match is in 2 weeks. I love the thought of a slow burn but A: the execution has been terrible B: They have PPV's to sell, and I can't recall a face challenger looking as bad as Bryan did tonight this close to there title match in.... ever, actually. C: People's attention spans are minuscule now a days. You know why the losing streak gimmick never gets over? Because nobody is interested in seeing how he's gonna lose next. Bryan in the last 3 weeks has been left laying at the end of every single show. How long before he's just a loser?

Bryan got beat down tonight so that he can get some good offense in next week so that he can look good before losing at NoC.

What ruined the segment for me was Show's shitty crying.  That looked really fucking stupid.  Bryan looked strong and was acting like a badass, instead of doing a Sheamus impression.  I dug that part. 

I understand what people are getting at abandoning the angle, but I'm not quite there yet.

I don't know if I can take it anymore. I saw all this shit with the NWO where you beg and beg and beg for someone to get one over on them and it NEVER FUCKING HAPPENED. If The Big Show was joining up with The Corporation, then so be it. But tonight all it did was set up for Triple H vs. The Big Show. Triple H is doing an outstanding job as a corporate asshole. But Daniel Bryan should have at least gotten one over on them by now. If he continues to get his ass kicked, no one is going to care when he finally gets that one on them.

I understand the need for a slow burn and all, but this is just going to drive people away.

Yes and no.  Sting may not have gotten the ultimate payoff, but he was amazing up there on the rafters or in the ring with a bat in a way that Bryan hasn't been yet.  And Goldberg scared those dudes, too.  This new thing is more like Evolution without Flair and that guy with the bellybutton tattoo.  Which is to say, this new Corporation is like Evolution but without anything that made it somewhat tolerable.  That shit chased me away from wrestling for years.

But it's not what's happening here.  Implicit in NWO (after Sting fucked up) or Evolution is this notion that it has to collapse from within, because no one can stop them but themselves.  That's very different than this new corporate faction, where it's clear that someone is going to step in and stop it.  The problem is that that someone may not be Daniel Bryan.  I'm a hardcore old school Southern wrestling kid, but as much as I'd like it to, it doesn't work that way anymore.  HHH can act out all the "slow burn" Sullivan shit he wants, but you can't drag angles out like this anymore, and if the crowd starts to turn on Bryan, they're going to hand this over to Punk or Cena or Sheamus or Ryback.  So I do understand why everyone is being super defensive about Bryan here, because 1) this is Bryan's biggest moment and people really want it to succeed and 2) there's not a good track record of good guys winning against elite supervillain factions. 

I don't expect an appropriate payoff for Bryan here.  Someone is going to lose patience.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but still.  This is the first time I've enjoyed HHH since the 90s, and Bryan is getting a bigger push than I ever would have imagined, so I'm still enjoying the show.  It's more fun now than it's been in years. 

So, switching gears here to something less contentious but no less confusing, what the hell are they doing with the AJ/Total Divas feud? She cuts a heel promo that gets face heat last week. This week she does more heeling on commentary, then breaks up the #1 contender's match, but instead of doing the heelish thing and getting out of Dodge once the bell is rung, she stays in and takes a 3-on-1 beating.

They all came off terrible, even AJ for being an idiot and running in on a match full of people who ran down the week earlier. Nevermind the match being horrific.

I would have more faith in where this angle is going if I had any reason to believe the grand payoff is going to be anything other than McMahon family implosion ending in Vince and a hand-picked guy not named Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H at Wrestlemania.

I'm sure Bryan will be in the WWE Title match. It will just go on fourth to last, before HHH-Vince, Taker-Cena and some diva filler match.

Wait, I get it:  Bryan's being punished because he's a "WRESTLER," not an "ENTERTAINER."

One film where he's an ex-con dad teaching wrestling to a burnt out ex-cop hiding in an abandoned house wearing a sheep mask and hiding a three-foot dick in his coveralls, who kidnapped his Army wife (i.e. wife who's an enlisted officer) should do the trick.

Bryan got beat down tonight so that he can get some good offense in next week so that he can look good before losing at NoC.

What ruined the segment for me was Show's shitty crying.  That looked really fucking stupid.  Bryan looked strong and was acting like a badass, instead of doing a Sheamus impression.  I dug that part. 

I understand what people are getting at abandoning the angle, but I'm not quite there yet.

I don't know if I can take it anymore. I saw all this shit with the NWO where you beg and beg and beg for someone to get one over on them and it NEVER FUCKING HAPPENED. If The Big Show was joining up with The Corporation, then so be it. But tonight all it did was set up for Triple H vs. The Big Show. Triple H is doing an outstanding job as a corporate asshole. But Daniel Bryan should have at least gotten one over on them by now. If he continues to get his ass kicked, no one is going to care when he finally gets that one on them.

I understand the need for a slow burn and all, but this is just going to drive people away.

Yes and no.  Sting may not have gotten the ultimate payoff, but he was amazing up there on the rafters or in the ring with a bat in a way that Bryan hasn't been yet.  And Goldberg scared those dudes, too.  This new thing is more like Evolution without Flair and that guy with the bellybutton tattoo.  Which is to say, this new Corporation is like Evolution but without anything that made it somewhat tolerable.  That shit chased me away from wrestling for years.

But it's not what's happening here.  Implicit in NWO (after Sting fucked up) or Evolution is this notion that it has to collapse from within, because no one can stop them but themselves.  That's very different than this new corporate faction, where it's clear that someone is going to step in and stop it.  The problem is that that someone may not be Daniel Bryan.  I'm a hardcore old school Southern wrestling kid, but as much as I'd like it to, it doesn't work that way anymore.  HHH can act out all the "slow burn" Sullivan shit he wants, but you can't drag angles out like this anymore, and if the crowd starts to turn on Bryan, they're going to hand this over to Punk or Cena or Sheamus or Ryback.  So I do understand why everyone is being super defensive about Bryan here, because 1) this is Bryan's biggest moment and people really want it to succeed and 2) there's not a good track record of good guys winning against elite supervillain factions. 

I don't expect an appropriate payoff for Bryan here.  Someone is going to lose patience.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but still.  This is the first time I've enjoyed HHH since the 90s, and Bryan is getting a bigger push than I ever would have imagined, so I'm still enjoying the show.  It's more fun now than it's been in years. 

I guess it's a testament to how good this whole angle might be if it's getting everyone so wound up. Obviously the continued Daniel Bryan beatings are leading up to him getting his one over on them on the show before NOC. It's just what's going to happen at NOC and going forward that will be the problem.

You just reminded me, did everyone see fat Sheamus sitting along the entrance ramp with a replica belt on his shoulder?  that guy was an MVP tonight, along with dude with the giant home-made Daniel Bryan face that looked just like Bionic Bigfoot and the other guy dressed like WWF Dusty.  those three made me so happy.Good show, you fucking marks! 

You just reminded me, did everyone see fat Sheamus sitting along the entrance ramp with a replica belt on his shoulder?  that guy was an MVP tonight, along with dude with the giant home-made Daniel Bryan face that looked just like Bionic Bigfoot and the other guy dressed like WWF Dusty.  those three made me so happy.

Good show, you fucking marks!

Posted Image

It's like someone made a terrible create a character of Sheamus in WWE2K13.

• Like 6