DVDVR Message Board

Labor Day Raw (2 September Raw for everyone else)

Dolfan in NYC

I really don't understand what everyone is complaining about. This angle, for the most part,is brilliant. And remarkably subversive. The reason why none of the other faces are standing up for DB is because they are essentially brainwashed by the WWE.They believe, like Cena, there is no other place to wrestle other than the WWE. Only DB sees the world differently. He's already stated that if he was fired tomorrow, he'd just go back wrestling in high school gymnasiums. But they won't fire him,because he's too popular and makes them money.I just think it's a really well thought storyline,one of the best they've had in a while.

• Like 9

Sean Waltman ‏@TheRealXPac 

If everyone that's a wrestling fan would just allow themselves to watch w/o over analyzing it, they would enjoy the show more & be happier

And what joy is there when the faces never win at anything? The only person I can feel happy for are the PTPs and they're just beating up jobbers every week.

Besides, I'm not taking viewing advice from someone that made multiple sex tapes with Chyna.

• Like 3

The payoff promised for the Punk/Heyman feud is Heyman getting beat up and going away.  I enjoy Heyman, why would I want that?  Or he's going to bring in some other not over guy to feud with Punk? 

Yeah, but it's supposed to get Punk over. Not Big Show, not Cody, and not The Miz. 

At this point Bryan is pretty much a prop in this storyline.

Sean Waltman @TheRealXPac 

If everyone that's a wrestling fan would just allow themselves to watch w/o over analyzing it, they would enjoy the show more & be happier

I'd give Waltman so many oodles of props if I thought he was being intentionally ironic.

But I don't, so my response is, "If I watched it w/o over analyzing [sic] it," I'd take up softball on Monday nights or otherwise find other things to occupy my time.

I didn't think it was that weird. HHH just feuded with Lesnar/Heyman a couple months back so it was smart to have him still pissy at Heyman. They also brought up the stupid iron clad contract.. I mean WWE is actually trying to have a little continuity and people are still crapping on it..  lol

"Continuity" doesn't just mean referencing stuff that happened before. Continuity means that characters continue to behave in ways that make sense for them, (which HHH is, but which Bryan and Show are not,)

Sean Waltman ‏@TheRealXPac 

And what joy is there when the faces never win at anything? The only person I can feel happy for are the PTPs and they're just beating up jobbers every week.

Besides, I'm not taking viewing advice from someone that made multiple sex tapes with Chyna.

If you'd just watch it without over anal-izing...

• Like 2

The payoff promised for the Punk/Heyman feud is Heyman getting beat up and going away.  I enjoy Heyman, why would I want that?  Or he's going to bring in some other not over guy to feud with Punk? 

Yeah, but it's supposed to get Punk over. Not Big Show, not Cody, and not The Miz. 

At this point Bryan is pretty much a prop in this storyline.

Bryan is a prop in the storyline? He is the storyline.

On another thought that would never happen. If Heyman and Punk get back together somehow and align with Bryan, Show, Ziggler, Rhodes, something that would be a huge reaction would be Lesnar being the 5th/6th guy.

I didn't think it was that weird. HHH just feuded with Lesnar/Heyman a couple months back so it was smart to have him still pissy at Heyman. They also brought up the stupid iron clad contract.. I mean WWE is actually trying to have a little continuity and people are still crapping on it..  lol

"Continuity" doesn't just mean referencing stuff that happened before. Continuity means that characters continue to behave in ways that make sense for them, (which HHH is, but which Bryan and Show are not,)

Big Show kinda is, though.  They do need to do a promo exposing how many other times he's sold out for the money.

• Like 1

I love when the show ends with my beloved Shield beating down their opponent and posing till the fade-to-black (stuff like that keeps heel fans like me watching, of course), but this is getting ridiculous. Big Show made the final segment good, but I just wish they'd show SOME sort of glimmer for Bryan. He doesn't have to win (and I also think it's better that he's losing the war for now), but having EVERY show (six in a row counting SummerSlam and Smackdowns) end with him getting beaten down in much the same way every time? They're spinning in circles. I just wonder how long they can keep this repetition going before they kill interest and/or bore everyone. The "have patience" stuff only works if every show doesn't have the same ending.

I love Big Show, but I sadly suspect him joining the Corporation and I really don't want that. Ryback would be a great addition to Triple H's forces, though.

EDIT: Oh, glad they mentioned the iron-clad contract. It was annoying that they were forgetting it before. I don't mind them wanting to soften it for the purposes of their current angle; I just wanted the continuity to be respected... for as much as WWE respects it, I guess.

I don't understand why people have problems with the complaints of Bryan being buried. I'm also not going to argue that Bryan is being buried, but I really don't blame people for feeling that way. Cena has come out on top on most shows repeatedly for plenty of years now and the fans are well conditioned to the top face winning. Would Cena be getting beaten down every week like this? What would fans think of that, if so?

Also, I don't care for the "Oh, they're trolling the Internet, and you're getting trolled" comments. Writing specifically to the smarks has mostly never equaled money. Bryan is over with all of the fans and they want him to win. If management want to aggravate smarks, they could just squash Zach Ryder again, or something. No offense, Zach.

Big Show kinda is, though.  They do need to do a promo exposing how many other times he's sold out for the money.

See but that's the opposite of continuity. He's sold out everyone from Austin to Orton. Why is Bryan different? If there's no explanation of that, there's no continuity.

I don't see how Bryan isn't being true to his character. He is relentless and does not give a shit if he's fired because he is a WRESTLER and will wrestle anywhere. This whole time he's wanted to prove all of the doubters wrong. Now people are saying he can't beat Orton because the odds are stacked against him. His goal is to defeat Orton and become the new face of the company and stick it to management.

• Like 1

I really don't understand what everyone is complaining about. This angle, for the most part,is brilliant. And remarkably subversive. The reason why none of the other faces are standing up for DB is because they are essentially brainwashed by the WWE.They believe, like Cena, there is no other place to wrestle other than the WWE. Only DB sees the world differently. He's already stated that if he was fired tomorrow, he'd just go back wrestling in high school gymnasiums. But they won't fire him,because he's too popular and makes them money.I just think it's a really well thought storyline,one of the best they've had in a while.

This is pretty spot on.  There are actually two characters here who are behaving differently than everyone in the history of WWE.  Bryan, by acknowledging that he can easily survive in a world that apparently (who knew!) exists outside of "The WWE UNIVERSE!!!"

and HHH who is making it clear that the Austin thing won't work with him.  It always used to be that if the boss told you not to do something or you'd get fired...you just stunnered/rock bottomed/whtavered the boss...and he would be so mad that he would keep you around to try and destroy you...and end up losing his company to you or something.

HHH is short-circuiting that, which makes sense considering that's exactly what he used to do to Vince and he understands the ploy  It is clear that if you attack him...he'll just fire you.  That's new too. (except that he's conspicuously not doing that with Bryan himself..apparently just not being afraid of him or because as you said he knows firing him won't hurt him since he can actually survive in the world. This one mistake should be his downfall).

So both sides in this story are off the normal script.  the Bryan thing is, as you put it, more subversive and makes him seem like the only real person in the company. 

• Like 5

I love when the show ends with my beloved Shield beating down their opponent and posing till the fade-to-black (stuff like that keeps heel fans like me watching, of course), but this is getting ridiculous. Big Show made the final segment good, but I just wish they'd show SOME sort of glimmer for Bryan. He doesn't have to win (and I also think it's better that he's losing the war for now), but having EVERY show (six in a row counting SummerSlam and Smackdowns) end with him getting beaten down in much the same way every time? They're spinning in circles. I just wonder how long they can keep this repetition going before they kill interest and/or bore everyone. The "have patience" stuff only works if every show doesn't have the same ending.

I love Big Show, but I sadly suspect him joining the Corporation and I really don't want that. Ryback would be a great addition to Triple H's forces, though.

I don't understand why people have problems with the complaints of Bryan being buried. I'm also not going to argue that Bryan is being buried, but I really don't blame people for feeling that way. Cena has come out on top on most shows repeatedly for plenty of years now and the fans are well conditioned to the top face winning. Would Cena be getting beaten down every week like this? What would fans think of that, if so?

Also, I don't care for the "Oh, they're trolling the Internet, and you're getting trolled" comments. Writing specifically to the smarks has mostly never equaled money. Bryan is over with all of the fans and they want him to win. If management want to aggravate smarks, they could just squash Zach Ryder again, or something. No offense, Zach.

Zach would probably enjoy actually being on tv again. Lets not encourage this.