DVDVR Message Board

Labor Day Raw (2 September Raw for everyone else)

Dolfan in NYC

Sean Waltman ‏@TheRealXPac 

If everyone that's a wrestling fan would just allow themselves to watch w/o over analyzing it, they would enjoy the show more & be happier

And what joy is there when the faces never win at anything?

Am I seriously the only one that remembers this entire board melting down over The Nexus showing ass after only a couple of weeks? I am in the camp that three weeks is not enough to declare this an nWo scenario just yet. Not to mention that we haven't hit the actual go-home show for the PPV yet.

The payoff promised for the Punk/Heyman feud is Heyman getting beat up and going away.  I enjoy Heyman, why would I want that?  Or he's going to bring in some other not over guy to feud with Punk? 

Yeah, but it's supposed to get Punk over. Not Big Show, not Cody, and not The Miz. 

At this point Bryan is pretty much a prop in this storyline.

Because God forbid a storyline be overarching throughout the entire roster and attempt to get multiple people more over.

Next week, when Daniel Bryan drives a truck full of goat milk down to ringside and just unloads on everyone, we'll all be talking about how great it was. Let's just take some deep breaths and think about what a brain-dead dipshit Gonzalez is.

Unify......WooSah...

Some people have a hang up with HHH and will never enjoy him being on tv.  My opinion is if you don't like him....this is about the best way he's ever going to be used.....it's totally playing to all of the stereotypes and hangups people have about him.....and his delivery has been great.  I love how they're gradually transitioning him into becoming Vince McMahon, and his completely insincere "I don't like doing this....but it's what's best for business" with a smirk on his face while he's being a complete dick to his employees.  HHH as a sympathetic babyface is completely unbelievable.....this is the right way to use him.  Same with Orton......that's a guy who's just so much more believable as an asshole heel.

To be fair, I think I've seen a lot more praise for HHH in this angle than I have generic HHHate.  I'm not a big fan of the guy.....he's dragged down a lot of stuff over the years.....but I can't complain about his role in this angle.

• Like 1

ouple of weeks? I am in the camp that three weeks is not enough to declare this an nWo scenario just yet. Not to mention that we haven't hit the actual go-home show for the PPV yet.

Yeah, but it's supposed to get Punk over. Not Big Show, not Cody, and not The Miz. 

At this point Bryan is pretty much a prop in this storyline.

Because God forbid a storyline be overarching throughout the entire roster and attempt to get multiple people more over.

But it was supposed to be a storyline designed to get Bryan over as "The Man", but it's done the opposite and turned him back into the little buddy that's always in trouble. Meanwhile Big Show is now the most over face in the company.

• Like 1

This version of the WWE Championship on RAW looked different to me. If so, I like it more than the old one as its shinier, the red on the WWE logo is darker than the last one matching the actual WWE logo and Champion can be seen clearer as it stands out more. Always had an interest in wrestling championship titles.

Spotted the fan dressed as Randy Savage with trunks made me smile.

12 year old friend meant "your friend of 12 years."

And this is an awful lot of bitching over 3 weeks of heel beatdowns. It's funny after how people bitched about how weak "The Alliance" was booked during the Invasion angle, all the bitching about how weak Nexus was booked and now 3 weeks of heel beatdowns is going to kill off the company and all it's faces.

• Like 1

I'm still wanting to hear what people wish would happen instead with the Bryan angle. Because while there is a lot of bitching going on in this thread, I'm not really seeing too much in the way of, "Well, they should do this instead." 

Do you guys get how this works? You want Bryan to get over on HHH during a random Monday Night RAW? You want him to win the title during his chase on the 11th most important PPV of the year? You don't want him to win when it matters the most?

He's not getting buried. The roster is not getting emasculated. It's a slow burn. Bryan should be booked weak right now because everything is against him. There will be something happening sometime, possibly at NOC, where it'll let him get a bit closer to a finally overcoming these odds. Or something on a RAW. And slowly, it turns against the establishment and in Bryan's favor. And then on a big show, Bryan will overcome the odds and it'll make him a bigger star than he is right now. And hopefully it's at WrestleMania. There's always going to be stuff to criticize because we look closer than anyone at all this, but it's getting ridiculous at this point.

You guys know how a movie or serialized TV works. Even the smallest things that don't look like they matter...they get mentioned because it usually means something big in the end. Nothing gets mentioned if it's not going to matter to the story. So then when it happens, they can go back to it and say, "Ohhhhhhhh! That's right." That's how a good story gets told. This doesn't need to be told in a month for it to be good. I guarantee if people were watching Flair in '89 against Funk at GAB and this board existed, there would be people thinking he should have dropped the belt because they should have played up the neck injury more and let Funk cheat to win. Instead, they let that thing burn for five months and drew huge over the time. And Flair never dropped the belt. This can work even if Bryan doesn't win the belt. And then when he does, it's gonna mean that much more.

The bullshit about it not happening fast enough is people being short sighted and seeing this in a one month or two month time span. And it's because of what happened with Punk and whatever else people want to bring up. This isn't the biggest act since Hulk Hogan getting over on a non-wrestling boss, three retired flunkies and some renegade son. This is a guy who is on the cusp of superstardom getting held down by someone who has shown he's still a force and the most dominant group in the company. Something will happen soon that will tilt the odds in Bryan's favor. Just sit back and wait until it happens.

• Like 3

I'm still wanting to hear what people wish would happen instead with the Bryan angle. Because while there is a lot of bitching going on in this thread, I'm not really seeing too much in the way of, "Well, they should do this instead." 

Do you guys get how this works? You want Bryan to get over on HHH during a random Monday Night RAW? You want him to win the title during his chase on the 11th most important PPV of the year? You don't want him to win when it matters the most?

He's not getting buried. The roster is not getting emasculated. It's a slow burn. Bryan should be booked weak right now because everything is against him. There will be something happening sometime, possibly at NOC, where it'll let him get a bit closer to a finally overcoming these odds. Or something on a RAW. And slowly, it turns against the establishment and in Bryan's favor. And then on a big show, Bryan will overcome the odds and it'll make him a bigger star than he is right now. And hopefully it's at WrestleMania. There's always going to be stuff to criticize because we look closer than anyone at all this, but it's getting ridiculous at this point.

You guys know how a movie or serialized TV works. Even the smallest things that don't look like they matter...they get mentioned because it usually means something big in the end. Nothing gets mentioned if it's not going to matter to the story. So then when it happens, they can go back to it and say, "Ohhhhhhhh! That's right." That's how a good story gets told. This doesn't need to be told in a month for it to be good. I guarantee if people were watching Flair in '89 against Funk at GAB and this board existed, there would be people thinking he should have dropped the belt because they should have played up the neck injury more and let Funk cheat to win. Instead, they let that thing burn for five months and drew huge over the time. And Flair never dropped the belt. This can work even if Bryan doesn't win the belt. And then when he does, it's gonna mean that much more.

The bullshit about it not happening fast enough is people being short sighted and seeing this in a one month or two month time span. And it's because of what happened with Punk and whatever else people want to bring up. This isn't the biggest act since Hulk Hogan getting over on a non-wrestling boss, three retired flunkies and some renegade son. This is a guy who is on the cusp of superstardom getting held down by someone who has shown he's still a force and the most dominant group in the company. Something will happen soon that will tilt the odds in Bryan's favor. Just sit back and wait until it happens.

Tim: I would like to see small victories.. Bryan doing a bit of divide and conquering. taking out one member, for example, who's on the look out for him (yeah, there's the YEScalade), or sliding out before the Shield can get him.. at least one show should have him end with at least a small victory to say "Yeah, he can win battles, but he can't win the war...", to build up interest in seeing him win the war..

• Like 1

I fucking hate HHH but this is clearly the best use of him in years.  I still don't want to see the guy on t.v. ever and with football season coming it's likely I will skip a lot of the talking segments involving him, but he's hardly been terrible.  If anything I'm most upset that we haven't gotten more Vince

The roster is clearly getting emasculated to the point where I don't see how you can argue against it.  In fact it seems to me that is the whole point - HHH/Steph/Vince are putting their collective nuts in a jar because they can.  That's why Bryan's dig about HHH not being a man had resonance - it's a roster filled with cowards, led by the corporate sellout.  

Also what I would like someone to do is explain to me why that last segment was good tonight.  Forget whether or not you think the long scope of the angle is good, how exactly was that final segment a good or entertaining segment?  I didn't watch it and think "boy this buried Bryan" (though I struggle to see how anyone couldn't think he looked weak when Reigns was just holding him there for what seemed like decades), I watched and thought "boy that sucked."  

• Like 1

*Looks into Crystal ball*

1 year later...

"WWE Tag Team Title Match - Tyler Breeze & Enzo Amore © defeat Daniel Bryan & Santino during WWE Action Zone on BET tapings"

"We're still waiting." - DVDVR Forum

I'm still wanting to hear what people wish would happen instead with the Bryan angle. 

That the McMahons and Triple H not be involved. Bryan dropping the belt to Orton isn't what made me quit. It's making the McMahons the top story and heel faction YET AGAIN that got me to stop. 

• Like 1

The roster is clearly getting emasculated to the point where I don't see how you can argue against it.  In fact it seems to me that is the whole point - HHH/Steph/Vince are putting their collective nuts in a jar because they can.  That's why Bryan's dig about HHH not being a man had resonance - it's a roster filled with cowards, led by the corporate sellout. 

I don't think they're being emasculated personally, it's group cowardice and it's a lot better than what they did to Show tonight. It really depends where they take it because right now, there's no real damage to anyone other than who they want to damage. If next week the same thing happens and someone breaks rank and attacks, then it becomes interesting.

Although I think it hurts Bryan if a bigger dude comes in and saves him. It feels more like he should turn the tables himself.

Personally I'd like to see Bryan beat The shield, HHH, Vince, Steph and Orton in a match on Smackdown like John cena and Orton used to do to the Raw roster. I mean they had the Shield's first loss on SD, why not Daniel Bryan's comeback?

Also would note that it is incredibly idiotic to have Bryan even wrestling Orton this soon.  Just completely awful.  For all the slow burn talk - most of which I don't disagree with in principle - it seems unbelievably disingenuous to claim that this is all genius booking, slow burning, building for the long term, to a huge payoff, when they went and booked him in the main event v. Orton on the very next god damned ppv.  It doesn't even make sense from a storyline perspective as the McMahon clan can do whatever the hell they want and there is no reason to believe waiving a rematch clause is outside the scope of their abilities.  They could have easily booked him against Bully Ryback first, then maybe Reigns, then an Survivor Series team match where he gets the pin on Orton but not the title, et.  People bitching about the people bitching because of three weeks of beatdown and citing slow burn and long term build, really ought to note that their version of "slow burn" and "long term build" is not what is usually meant when those terms are used.  

• Like 3

I'm still wanting to hear what people wish would happen instead with the Bryan angle. 

That the McMahons and Triple H not be involved. Bryan dropping the belt to Orton isn't what made me quit. It's making the McMahons the top story and heel faction YET AGAIN that got me to stop. 

So why fucking comment on it god damn it

• Like 4

I don't think they're being emasculated personally, it's group cowardice and it's a lot better than what they did to Show tonight. It really depends where they take it because right now, there's no real damage to anyone other than who they want to damage. If next week the same thing happens and someone breaks rank and attacks, then it becomes interesting.

Although I think it hurts Bryan if a bigger dude comes in and saves him. It feels more like he should turn the tables himself.

Right now the only thing that bugs me is that we've seen so many people play Hunter before so easily by attacking his masculinity or just attacking him.  We've seen him get baited into taking off his jacket and tie and huffing and puffing and wanting to fight.

If the fan-memory can hold on to those images, then it does make Bryan look not weak but, like dumb...dumber than Punk and Lesnar and Shawn and Taker and Curtis Fucking Axel and who else the last few years just had to sort of slap HHH publically and he would take the bait? 

But in this, he's suddenly unruffleable.  he hasn't even loosened his tie.  Like you would think Bryan just needs to get him alone backstage and beat him down and that would be enough to make him blow his whole wad again...but Bryan hasn't shown that kind of guile.

Bryan should at least get the first spark.  That seems like the bare minimum.

I felt they were being emasculated personally the first week, but understood the point.  But really it was my daughter asking whey they were all cowards that really hit me, because if that is her immediate response I'd venture to guess the core audience probably feels that way.  And I really do think it's the point

Also would note that it is incredibly idiotic to have Bryan even wrestling Orton this soon.  Just completely awful.  For all the slow burn talk - most of which I don't disagree with in principle - it seems unbelievably disingenuous to claim that this is all genius booking, slow burning, building for the long term, to a huge payoff, when they went and booked him in the main event v. Orton on the very next god damned ppv.  It doesn't even make sense from a storyline perspective as the McMahon clan can do whatever the hell they want and there is no reason to believe waiving a rematch clause is outside the scope of their abilities.  They could have easily booked him against Bully Ryback first, then maybe Reigns, then an Survivor Series team match where he gets the pin on Orton but not the title, et.  People bitching about the people bitching because of three weeks of beatdown and citing slow burn and long term build, really ought to note that their version of "slow burn" and "long term build" is not what is usually meant when those terms are used.  

It would have made more sense for them to book Orton Vs. Ryback at first "Because it's good for business", then have Bryan muck their plans up until they gave him his rematch at NOC.

Also would note that it is incredibly idiotic to have Bryan even wrestling Orton this soon.

Not sure this is what happens yet. Could see them have Orton punt Bryan and remove him for his own sake or something.

I was honestly hoping they were setting up a weird thing where Cody would end up wrestling Randy at the ppv and Bryan would wrestle Show but that obviously isn't going to happen